Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2011, 09:05 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,361,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well I think Houston is more like Gulf Coast Southern as well. Lot in common with Southern Louisiana and West and Central Florida. I find Houston to be like Tampa and Orlando now. My Mom, born and raised in Miami loves Houston because it reminds her of her home but spread out. That's why she likes it better than Dallas. I get that similar feel. I do not get Jackson or Montgomery in Houston. I find Atlanta being more deep South than Houston. In fact, I find Northern Louisiana to be more deep South than southern Louisiana.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Can you find the Deep South in the black community?
The northern ends of Houston are as Deep South as you'll find in the area. Many of those poorer, slightly rural, 80%+ Black neighborhoods up there are almost exactly like what you would find in Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia; accents and all.

When I lived in Atlanta, the only parts of town that felt like the Deep South were the western and southern portions of the metro. North Atlanta? No way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
That shouldnt matter. Every city with a large black population has many soul food places. BTW, I dislike the term soul food. It's Southern food with a name.
Not necessarily. In modern times, soul food has branched out to include dishes which were never strictly southern.

Quote:
Doesn't sound like y'all do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
Heck no!!!!!!!! Where I am from we call soul food "food". Soul food restaurants are few and far between here. But also consider that the percentage of blacks is much lower than in those cities. Houston is a Mexican town and don't forget it.
The percentage of blacks in Houston is not extremely lower. Greater Houston has around 17% while Atlanta sits around 32%, I believe.

Anyway, I have no idea what Houston you live in, but there's no shortage of soul food restaurants here. (But Dave, no one would ever charge you with being someone who knew Houston well) Most of the places are hole-in-the-walls that you have to search for. Houston doesn't really do those snazzy, slightly more pretentious soul food places that you'll find in greater number, in Atlanta. That's just not how we do it.

We cook in Houston, and it seems that most black folks would rather make soul food in their own homes than eat out at another restaurant. And to be quite honest, some of the BEST soul food you'll find here is from knowing a friend of a friend who sells plates out of their home. David Dollar likely doesn't have that connection.

This search only picks up some of the soul food restaurants in Houston, but not all of them.
http://maps.google.com/maps?pq=snazz...2&ved=0CAUQtgM

Old 12-30-2011, 09:43 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,257,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Not necessarily. In modern times, soul food has branched out to include dishes which were never strictly southern.

The percentage of blacks in Houston is not extremely lower. Greater Houston has around 17% while Atlanta sits around 32%, I believe.

Anyway, I have no idea what Houston you live in, but there's no shortage of soul food restaurants here. (But Dave, no one would ever charge you with being someone who knew Houston well) Most of the places are hole-in-the-walls that you have to search for. Houston doesn't really do those snazzy, slightly more pretentious soul food places that you'll find in greater number, in Atlanta. That's just not how we do it.

We cook in Houston, and it seems that most black folks would rather make soul food in their own homes than eat out at another restaurant. And to be quite honest, some of the BEST soul food you'll find here is from knowing a friend of a friend who sells plates out of their home. David Dollar likely doesn't have that connection.

This search only picks up some of the soul food restaurants in Houston, but not all of them.
soul food houston - Google Maps
And also considering that not many people like to eat soul food not prepared by themselves and with their supervision. I wouldn't say soul food joints are popular in Houston, but they're not rare either.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:51 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,812,979 times
[quote=Macaframalama;22324700]
Quote:

That section of the state reminds me of Louisiana.
What section?

Old 12-30-2011, 10:55 AM

I agree, soul food is better prepared at home because everyone's soul food is different. But with a southern city, you would just expect many soul food restaurants since thathelps to make up the southern culture.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
And also considering that not many people like to eat soul food not prepared by themselves and with their supervision. I wouldn't say soul food joints are popular in Houston, but they're not rare either.
I guess it would depend on what you mean by "popular". Are Houstonians head over heels for soul food? No, but only because we're too diverse of a city for that, and because barbecue (which is obviously a form of southern cooking) is that much more popular here.

So yeah, you're more likely to find rib joints than fried chicken joints (I'm guessing it's the same in Memphis), but again, Houston has its fair share of soul food establishments.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
I guess it would depend on what you mean by "popular". Are Houstonians head over heels for soul food? No, but only because we're too diverse of a city for that, and because barbecue (which is obviously a form of southern cooking) is that much more popular here.

So yeah, you're more likely to find rib joints than fried chicken joints (I'm guessing it's the same in Memphis), but again, Houston has its fair share of soul food establishments.
Basically, a person who visits there (ME) who loves soul food wouldn't be disappointed with the selection.................

Old 12-30-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
I agree, soul food is better prepared at home because everyone's soul food is different. But with a southern city, you would just expect many soul food restaurants since thathelps to make up the southern culture.
They're acting like there's only four or five places in the city to get some cornbread and collard greens. There are more soul food restaurants in Houston than your average person will ever try. I probably haven't even been to 1/5 of them.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
They're acting like there's only four or five places in the city to get some cornbread and collard greens. There are more soul food restaurants in Houston than your average person will ever try. I probably haven't even been to 1/5 of them.
That's how people on here describe Houston to me. LOL! I will visit though. For Houston to be a top city for restaurants, I know there have to be some great soul food there. With it being close to Louisiana, I know Houston obviously have that influence.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:17 AM

20,524 posts, read 33,602,357 times
Quote:
The northern ends of Houston are as Deep South as you'll find in the area. Many of those poorer, slightly rural, 80%+ Black neighborhoods up there are almost exactly like what you would find in Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia; accents and all.

When I lived in Atlanta, the only parts of town that felt like the Deep South were the western and southern portions of the metro. North Atlanta? No way.
I'm sorry. You're going to look for it to see it. If Deep South is there, its at the extreme Northern areas that's less developed. But the majority of Houston, if not all, is not Deep south. That's my observations though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston