Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2009, 03:39 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,409,476 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about replacing our windows in the front of our condo. We have three windows, all aluminum (and must be replaced as such) and are 70"Hx24"W (by front door), 38"Hx24"W (in kitchen), and 42"Hx36"W (in front bedroom). The back windows, IMHO, don't need to be done as those rooms stay fairly cool. The front rooms are all warm. We've insulated the attic really well, so this would be our next step. My question is, what kind of window would be the best as far as energy-efficiency? Anyone have an idea of cost? Recommendations for a company in W. Houston?

I am also looking to have a ceiling fan professionally installed in my living room. Does anyone know how much that is?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Mom2Feebs; 05-28-2009 at 04:42 PM.. Reason: to ask another question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 05:24 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Approx. 350 a window depending on brand. I would consider Gulf & Basco windows for your townhouse. I used Pella mainly because my neighborhood kind of demands Pella or Jel-Wyn (sp).

Ceiling Fan prices can very. Buy one you feel comfortable with, 150 +/- ,and pay an electrician.... Going on they charge about 75 and hour. But actually...if you already have a light fixture where you want the fan, it's a no brainer to do yourself, as long as the breaker is off. DIY network has good instructions on it.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:48 PM

Thanks EA. Do you recommend a particular installer--like Allied or Gulf Coast Windows?

We don't have a fixture in the living room, so I'm a-kinda skeered fer hubby to tackle that. Not that he's not capable--ahem. LOL right?

Old 05-28-2009, 06:56 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,582,052 times
We recently replaced all the windows in our home (except master bed/bath) and the patio door. After getting quotes from 5 different window companies, we had Loews come out, paid $30 for their sub to come out and measure and quote. The sub was STILL high. We instead ordered all the windows direct from Loews, costing us SUBSTANTIALLY lower than the other companies (with the same windows).

I then befriended the window person at Home Depot who agreed to do the install of each window for a REASONABLE price, as he was trying to supplement his income . Needless to say after it was all said and done, we saved approximately $3k. Oh and he brought ALL the extra materials necessary for a successful install (i.e. hardiplank for the patio area; wood; etc.).

If you're interested, I can DM you his number, and at least you can speak with him and make a decision.

The ceiling fan, as the previous poster stated is simple, provided you have a fixture there already. We replaced all the interior lights and ceiling fans in our home, well hubby did and believe me, he isn't what you would call a handyman

Old 05-28-2009, 08:36 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,738,039 times
If your already pre-wired for ceiling fan then paying for installation is a huge waste of money. All you need to do is assemble the fan, connect the wires and screw in the base. There are just 2 wires and all you need to do is twine them around the existing wires in the ceiling and twist on the cap. Either wire can go to either one it just will determine which switch is for the light and which is for the fan. There will be detailed instructions in the box. I would say try it yourself and if you can't do it then you can always call somebody to come in.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:14 PM

I will just call our electrician. We are not pre-wired for lighting or otherwise in the living room. If we were, I'd just do it myself. I installed our chandelier and lighting in both baths...but this is something beyond my electrical talents...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston