Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 01:26 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,867,431 times

Advertisements

Victory Declared in Efforts to Secure Pathway for UH to Attain Top-Tier Status

Do you think they can do it? I have some doubts about it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 01:37 PM

1,009 posts, read 2,461,271 times
No, ... Not anytime in the foreseeable future. Too much instate fighting is destructive to the goals of creating more top institutes. UT-Dallas and Texas Tech are best positioned to move up, ... However, some of the other schools, well, ... Don't a lot of people refer to U of H by names like "Cougar High", "Houston High School", etc. Also, some of the other places, like UT-San Antonio, ... Didn't this school have a 100% acceptance rate not too long ago.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:14 PM

I don't think many people refer to U of H as High School Why would they? U of H is not bad. They are just not top tier ( yet ).

Old 06-03-2009, 02:16 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,446,701 times
Agreed, Texas Tech and possibly UT-Dallas (assuming the UT system invests heavily in expanding and broadening this niche engineering/business focused school) are well-positioned to become the next Tier One universities from an Undergraduate standpoint. Both universities have strong Undergraduate programs already on or above the level of some out of state "Tier One" universities. They have some work to do before they get the national recognition, but could be there within 5-10 years.

UTSA, UTEP, and UNT were lucky to be included in this bill and are more long-term projects. May take a generation or two (if ever).

According to the latest NACUBO Endowment study, Texas Tech has the largest endowment (around $800 Million) of the public schools in Texas outside of UT & A&M. UT-Dallas has access to the PUF. UH has the next largest endowment (around $600 Million).

UH has a huge potential for Research and location plays a huge part. If they can partner up with area companies and strengthen their Undergraduate program, they'll be there soon enough. UH is probably the best positioned to capture Research dollars and will score well in this area.

Presently there are 3 public universities in Texas that house Phi Beta Kappa chapters. UT, A&M and Texas Tech.

This bill paves the way for more Tier One universities, it certainly benefits Tech and UH the most out of the gate funding-wise. It's what they do with it next that'll determine how fast they reach Tier One. Tech has a leg up with its Medical, Law, Nursing and Pharmacy schools. Big 12 membership ensures high visibility and lots of applications from kids in Texas, New Mexico. It also means it has a very active alumni group which is helpful when it comes to fundraising. If you had to pick one, I'd say Tech, but luckily this bill doesn't just focus on one school which is important for a state as big as Texas. We need 2 or 3 new Tier One's in the short-term as we're already behind the 8-ball.

Last edited by Mr. Football; 06-03-2009 at 02:37 PM..

Old 06-03-2009, 03:59 PM

You all don't have many nice things to say about U of H. In my opinion they could do it in a few years. Tighter admissions criterias etc. won't take that long.

But ( to me ) a top tier school also means that it is in a nice area.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:00 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,707,915 times
U of H in the same category as A&M and UT? I think this will be hard to get into the noggins of many Texans.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:03 PM

No, I think that IF they made it to the top the people would realize it quickly. Most just look at the rankings anyway. Once your name is on there...you're ok.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:36 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,119,861 times
Sounds like UH is further ahead in becoming tier 1 than the rest. I hope to see it happens become it will bring nothing but benefits to the school and Houston.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:58 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,828,505 times
I wouldn't bet against Dr. Khator. I'm rooting for UH...I work there.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:06 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
I think they could do it - if they attract the right professors, researchers, etc. However, it would mean tightening admissions and they might find a lot of opposition in that because all local students would have left here are community colleges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston