Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2009, 11:49 PM

450 posts, read 1,203,421 times

Advertisements

Hello guys

I have a question. Houston is one of my choices to move in TX as is Dallas. But with Houston all I hear about is flooding and hurricanes. I just wonder if anyone knows what areas get flooded to the point that if may flood my car, apt. I will have to move into an apt first. Any insight for this Ohioan girl would be appreciated. Hope it's better for singles in their upper 20's than Ohio:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 12:01 AM

612 posts, read 1,843,766 times
As a follower of the Houston forum: I doubt you will have to worry about hurricanes that much. Maybe some "scares" once or twice a year but chances are a hurricane will make a huge impact like last year (or 2 years ago) will be unlikely to happen often. Houston has flooding issues in certain areas if I'm correct.

Take a look at the link to get a bit more info about Houston weather (or Houston in general):
Houston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for singles take a look at the latest Forbes Best Cities for Singles list:
Best Cities For Singles - Forbes.com

3: Dallas
14: Austin
15: San Antonio
18: Houston

21: Columbus
33: Cincinnati
38: Cleveland

So yeah: do the math lol. Good luck!

Last edited by Johnny Bananas; 06-04-2009 at 12:02 AM.. Reason: Forgot to mention Dallas

Old 06-04-2009, 05:23 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,216,670 times
Here I go again: ALL Houston streets flood given enough rain coming quick enough. This is generally a nuisance and drains away very quickly. The trick is...do not drive through flooded streets, especially ones you are unfamiliar with, just wait a little while and it will go away. NOT OFTEN, there will be serious flooding, this is when homes and businesses flood. Trick is...check the FEMA flood maps and check with potential neighbors before moving to a location in order to know the flood probability in the area.

List a few places you are looking at here and I'm sure posters will give you a specific response about that location.

With regard to hurricanes...Dallas has tornadoes more often. There are weather dangers in many places, you can't live your life in fear but you can be prepared.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:37 AM

70 posts, read 234,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
With regard to hurricanes...Dallas has tornadoes more often. There are weather dangers in many places, you can't live your life in fear but you can be prepared.
Lived in Dallas 20 years and never saw a tornado. Never had one even come close. Sure there are watches/warnings, but that is not the same has having a tornado.

I lived in Houston about 4 months prior to Ike.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,318 times
hello everyone.we are planing to move from chicago,ill and we so undecide where is better houston(katy)tx or dallas(frisco&plano).if any of you give us some info regarding elem.schools,jobs(as plumber and banker) between this too,also low criminality.thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston