Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 11:51 AM

2 posts, read 2,323 times

Advertisements

Can someone help me with neighborhood ideas?

I'm an upper-20s single woman currently renting in the Greenway Plaza area and working downtown. I love everything about my neighborhood, except the fact that I'm throwing away mountains of cash every month by renting. So I've decided to buy. Realistically, my budget is probably around $250k, although I could stretch to $300k if I found something I really liked.

Obviously I'm not going to be able to afford much inside the loop, but I still want to live somewhere with a reasonable commute into downtown... ideally an hour or less in bad traffic. If there's easy Metro access to downtown, that's a plus (although definitely not a deal breaker either way). I prefer letting someone else drive while I read a book on the way to work.

I don't have kids, and I'd actually prefer a smaller yard. Neighbor noise is a huge pet peeve, unfortunately, so I'd rather avoid shared walls. Style isn't a deal-breaker by any means, but I do prefer contemporary or mid-century modern rather than traditional. I also want somewhere I can feel reasonably safe walking around at night, since I often get home from work late. Proximity to good restaurants, grocery stores, etc. is a plus, although again not necessarily a deal breaker.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 12:04 PM

7,542 posts, read 11,578,218 times
You could buy a decent home in Sharpstown the part that is west of 69 or also Meadows Place 69 @ Beltway is another good choice

Old 05-04-2014, 12:28 PM

467 posts, read 779,205 times
Fall Creek

Old 05-04-2014, 03:44 PM

693 posts, read 1,108,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
You could buy a decent home in Sharpstown the part that is west of 69 or also Meadows Place 69 @ Beltway is another good choice
Yes she could if she wants to live in the highest crime-ridden area in the city.

Old 05-04-2014, 03:50 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,932,502 times
Noise not bad in townhouse, or condo. Look at highrise or lofts. You will hate living out in the burbs.

Old 05-04-2014, 04:09 PM

7,542 posts, read 11,578,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 979Texan View Post
Yes she could if she wants to live in the highest crime-ridden area in the city.

Sharpstown is not the highest crime area in town If you include parts of Gulfton and Fondren Southwest it is the highest crime area in town but overall it is not and the part west of 69 is better than the part east of 69

Old 05-04-2014, 04:41 PM

693 posts, read 1,108,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
Sharpstown is not the highest crime area in town If you include parts of Gulfton and Fondren Southwest it is the highest crime area in town but overall it is not and the part west of 69 is better than the part east of 69
Unless this report is wrong, the crime stats from 2013 do indeed indicate Sharpstown is the highest crime area in the city. Sharpstown leads all other areas in robberies and burglaries. It is second in terms of auto theft.

Top neighborhoods for crime in Houston | News - Home

It's not as bad in terms of aggravated assaults though. That honor would go to the Third Ward.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:19 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,932,502 times
Look along the north line train.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:25 PM

2 posts, read 2,323 times
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I honestly haven't even considered townhomes/lofts yet because I'm so concerned about noise, especially in some of the older buildings (e.g., the old townhomes in the uptown/galleria area). Is the noise really manageable? Earlier today I had a friend recommend Oak Forest or the Energy Corridor, so I guess I'll need to look into those areas as well.

Old 05-04-2014, 06:11 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,726,776 times
I was going to suggest the energy corridor, too. Look in the area bounded by the beltway 8 to the east, Dairy-Ashford to the west, Briar Forest to the south and the I-10 to the north. You'll have the Terry Hershey park nearby for walking and plenty of shopping off of the I-10 too. Another option would be to get a real-estate agent familiar with the Heights. I've seen lots of very small, very cool places in the Heights on HAR that sell at around the top of your budget. The advantage that you have with these places is that you don't require a second (or third) bedroom so there is not necessarily as much competition as there is for bigger places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: