Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 03:39 AM

221 posts, read 600,385 times

Advertisements

OK, sorry I've not posted in some time, but we have just been so busy with work, trying to survive here and just life in general. Some of you might remember me. We moved here to Houston because of a job promotion for myself. Took the plunge and moved from a lovely country home (sold it....dumb move) to Houston and we have despised it since we got here. No offense to you folks who are happy here. It's not the country and I really didn't realize I would miss the country atmosphere so much. Of course all the things that have happened since we've been here have a lot to do with the feelings we have for this place....the 4th largest city in the U.S. We had not been here 2 months until an older teenager rode up to our home on his bicycle and stole our yard man's leaf blower, in broad daylight. I just happened to be looking out the front window when the guy reached over into the bed of the truck and lifted it out. He rides off down the street, me running behind him in my bathrobe and hair in a towel, yelling obscenities a "lady" should NEVER be heard saying. Called the police...there is nothing they can do. Two months later....Wal-Mart (Hwy.6 & Westpark) grocery shopping, another kid walks by my shopping cart and tries to take my purse. I had it locked in with the seatbelt so the dumb thing just kept tugging on the purse hoping it would eventually end up in his hands, he tries to take off and I trip him up and he falls head first into the freezer door handle and gets a bloody nose. I personally delivered him to the security at the front of the store. Called the police...there is nothing they can do because he's a juvenile. Well, they actually DID do something....the police called his parents and his dad came out and told the police to "lock his a_ _ up, there ain't nuttin I can do wid him no mo". They took him away. December 2, 2008, (Wal-Mart again) I was pulling out of the Wal-Mart parking lot onto Westpark, I turned into the lane closest to me. The very second I pulled into my lane a guy changes lanes and ended up right behind me. He's in a real big hurry (like everyone else seems to be), he's mad because I'm not going fast enough for his taste, he tries to ram my car. When that didn't work he moves to the front and tries to get me to ram HIS car. THAT didn't work. I just mind my own business going home with my groceries. I stop at a light, he pulls up beside me, gets out and slams the butt of a handgun into my passenger window. I thought he had shot me. Called the police....there's nothing they can do. Now get this, the police officer said, "How do we know it was even a real gun"? Also, "Now if he had SHOT the gun or done any real damage to your vehicle we might be able to do something". OK, now if this same thing happened to a police officer would they not consider that this was a real gun? HOW REAL DOES IT HAVE TO GET? It was a 9 mm handgun....I SAW IT!!!! So, with all that said, I hardly even leave my home anymore. I'm scared to even walk out to my own mailbox. There was a driveby shooting 2 weeks ago just 2 streets over from us. We even heard the gun. A 14-year-old boy was shot and killed and a 16-year-old was left for dead....never heard if he made it or not. It was over a pair of SNEAKERS!!!!

And if all of the above is not enough I hated the job I was transferred here to take. We live 12 miles from the office and it took me 45 minutes to get there. Long story short, I went back to my previous job duties (my choice) and now our landlord is selling the home we are leasing. He asked if we would consider buying it and we told him NO WAY....not in this neighborhood. Does anyone know of a better place for us to move to? Robert said we need to look up toward north or northeast....preferably a country setting. I am workinf from home again now and then after work I make dolls. PLEASE SOMEONE....we need to try to find something soon as he's got a for sale sign in the yard. We want something in the country preferably, even a doublewide mobile home as long as it is clean and nicel On a lake??? Anything as long as it's not just outrageously high in rent. We are paying $1000 here now and will NOT be able to do that again. It's ridiculous. I think this man is going to have a hard time selling this home with the area it is in. By the way, the police told me each time....it's not just THIS area, it's EVERYWHERE in the Houston area. HELP!!!! SOS!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 05:02 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,827,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittytoes2006 View Post
By the way, the police told me each time....it's not just THIS area, it's EVERYWHERE in the Houston area. HELP!!!! SOS!!!!!
Wow, that's horrible. I'm so sorry that all this bad stuff has happened to you.

The police were wrong...these types of experiences are NOT happening to everyone all the time throughout the entire Houston area. In many areas these would be considered unusual and shocking events. I've been here over a year and I haven't witnessed or been victimized by a single crime incident.

I don't know which Houston areas are considered "country" but I am confident that other posters will know and will be able to guide you.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:08 AM

799 posts, read 3,693,899 times
I believe the closest you will get to country will be the Conroe area..but thats not Houston, it is just north though. That is where I live..I am not a fan of Houston either..

Old 06-15-2009, 05:17 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,916,767 times
I'm sorry that these bad things happened to you, it does sound as if you've been caught in a tough-luck situation.

You will be hard-pressed to find a "country" place anything like reasonably close to Houston. My family has a ranch in Flatonia, and it is, in fact, "country"---80 miles from Houston. I don't know about rental values there, either (ranch is not for rent, just saying I'm familiar with that area). I will say, when we stay out there, it's an hour to get TO Houston, then another half-hour or so to get to the office.

I think you're going to have to prepare for some serious driving to find a "country" area around here---the city's pretty urban.

Good luck to you.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:21 AM

40 posts, read 145,850 times
I have a news flash for you - what you are experiencing is a lot bigger than "Houston". It is happening in every major city that I have been to, and until this year I travelled a lot - coast to coast. I think it has to do with increased populations, economic downturns and the fact that we have so many immigrants (legal and illegal) that came here for a better life and found a recession teetering on depression.

Moderator cut: off-topic

However, no one can dispute that in the "country" you will at least be one or two degrees removed from the elements that wish to do you harm. I've had stuff stolen from my lawn guy, and I had a very similar traffic incident except minus the gun. I am confident the gentleman would have never made it to my window with a pistol drawn.

I know a few people that live in Sante Fe who commute into Houston. You may also consider areas north of Tomball where even more people I know commute from. Both locations are very country, and even feature a lake or two.

Last edited by Bo; 06-15-2009 at 07:56 AM..

Old 06-15-2009, 05:24 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,215,075 times
Wow! I've lived in Houston most of my life and never experienced all that. Car broken into many times when I lived in Montrose and apartment broken into once (they tried pretty hard anyway), yes I was home and the police took them away. Never had a gun pulled or my purse snatched.

If you are looking NE, you might try Crosby/Dayton area. The city is growing, but that area is still countrified.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:29 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,548,139 times
You don't say where you lived before Houston but if you were happy there, consider going back. If you want to make a long move - consider Northern New England. If you work from home it wouldn't make much difference where you are. Check out Maine - that's where I am and love it here. After Houston however, you may not appreciate the winters but it is much better than facing daily crime and fear of leaving your house.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:00 AM

77 posts, read 469,342 times
Yeah I think the frustrating part is that the police response to everything is "we can't do anything about that" and then they try to make you feel like poop by saying things like "we have bigger things to worry about like murders." I know it a big ciy but it's still so frustrating.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:19 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,490,175 times
Well, you've sold me on your house. I'll take it. I can't imagine a neighborhood better than yours. I love living in crime infested suburban holes. Honestly, I think you may need to work on your sales pitch. Seriously.

Also, I couldn't help but notice that two or your incidents occurred at Wal-Mart. So you know, Wal-Mart in the city ain't nuthin' like a Wal-Mart in the country. In the country, Wal-Mart is the new Main Street. It's where all the locals gather to meet and discuss the weather, buy shotguns and whittle wooden figures from sticks. In the city, Wal-Mart is a wretched hive of scum and villainy. It's where the degenerates breed. Go into a city Wal-Mart at 2 in the morning, and you'll find what can best be described as a zoo where all the animals have been released from their cages. Start shopping at Target. You'll grow to like the city again.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:31 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
Well, you've sold me on your house. I'll take it. I can't imagine a neighborhood better than yours. I love living in crime infested suburban holes. Honestly, I think you may need to work on your sales pitch. Seriously.

Also, I couldn't help but notice that two or your incidents occurred at Wal-Mart. So you know, Wal-Mart in the city ain't nuthin' like a Wal-Mart in the country. In the country, Wal-Mart is the new Main Street. It's where all the locals gather to meet and discuss the weather, buy shotguns and whittle wooden figures from sticks. In the city, Wal-Mart is a wretched hive of scum and villainy. It's where the degenerates breed. Go into a city Wal-Mart at 2 in the morning, and you'll find what can best be described as a zoo where all the animals have been released from their cages. Start shopping at Target. You'll grow to like the city again.

Especially at a Walmart at Highway 6 and Westpark. Is that even in Houston right there? Oh, I just looked it up. That's Alief. No wonder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston