Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 11:48 AM

3,565 posts, read 4,869,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM1956 View Post
To insuate that nurses pay is the cause, or even one of the causes of the health care issue in this country is absurb and insulting. I do not know any nurses who make 300K! And nurses are undervalued in Europe. If you are not a nurse or have not worked in the health care system there then you have no basis for your assumption.

And you show me a professional, with 25 years of progressive experience that make less than a nurse with the same level of experience on the average.

I have lived and worked in Europe-- I can only attest to my friends/family salaries. My husband's IT salary nor his colleagues matched the US salaries.

As I said, it wasn't even close in nursing.

I also managed a team of young, college-educated, multi-lingual people in London, and I can tell you , we didn't pay them a ton, either.

The costs for the doctors nurses etc..... that is a part of the heath care costs.
I never said they "paid them a ton". It is just stupid to say that they are "undervalued".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 11:57 AM

447 posts, read 1,766,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
The costs for the doctors nurses etc..... that is a part of the heath care costs.
I never said they "paid them a ton". It is just stupid to say that they are "undervalued".
Perhaps you can tell me how they're not "undervalued"

Do you judge by pay
Do you judge by working conditions
Do you judge by how they are perceived by the general public.. i.e in what esteem is the profession held?
Do you judge by the responsiblity vs pay?

And it is not "stupid" to assert that nurses are undervalued in Europe. I lived there, worked there as a nurse. Did you?

Old 07-07-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:

Just because we have to pay nurses and doctors and x ray techs and lab techs and respiratory techs and physical therapists and pharmacists and nurse aides does not make them part of the health care issue.

Wouldn't it be nice if everyone worked for free??? Do you???

Old 07-07-2009, 12:02 PM

I juge by their qualifications and passion.

It does make them part of the health care issue...somebody gotta pay all this.

And yeah, I did.... I already did tell you that I used to live and work in Europe.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
I juge by their qualifications and passion.

It does make them part of the health care issue...somebody gotta pay all this.
That has nothing to do with how they are valued. 90% of the nurses I know are passionate and 100% are qualified.... doesn't mean that they are valued by the country/citizen/government where they live.

And your last statement is "stupid" so I'm not even going to respond to it.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
And yeah, I did.... I already did tell you that I used to live and work in Europe.
So, what type of nursing do you do?

Old 07-07-2009, 12:10 PM

Yeah right. Just because you think that they do not get paid enough does not mean the citizens do not value them.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:12 PM

Enough.

You do not know what you are talking about on this subject. I am finished with it.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:14 PM

No, you don't know it.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:16 PM

656 posts, read 1,420,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaze View Post
Wow I am paying 10.5 cents per kWh (dynowatt) and I thought I was getting a great deal after dropping the variable rate from Gexa...
Exactly, most texans pay around that amount, there are exceptions but generally speaking, texans pay the highest utility rates in the nation including dallas and houston

Dallas-area utility bills among highest in the nation | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Dallas Business News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/stories/012109dnbusutility.12a1244f.html - broken link)

Also, end use residential customers in texas generally speaking pay the highest electrical uses due to deregulation

Electric Power Monthly - Average Retail Price of Electricity to Ultimate Customers by End-Use Sector, by State

Texas pay the highest insurance rates in the nation too

Texans still pay highest insurance rates for homeowner policies | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Latest News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/030309dntexinsurance.3cf2ee2.html - broken link)

and coverage may not be what you want Coverage at what cost? Homeowners pay higher insurance premiums, yet many policies limited | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Headline | National News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/nation/stories/DN-son4nuinsurancemain_15pro.ART2.State.Edition1.4c67 e2e.html - broken link)

The facts basically speak for themselves, there are exceptions but generally speaking the cost of living in texas is not as low as people claim it to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston