Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 04:13 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,111,818 times

Advertisements

houston winters is an oxymoron if i ever heard one, last year i duck hunted in t-shirts right around christmas. i would have had shorts on if we where not in waist deep water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 04:21 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,456,343 times
It's true....we can have varying weather during ther wnter. First year we were here we had enough snow on Christmas Eve to cover the yard!

Old 07-08-2009, 04:30 PM

29 posts, read 112,976 times
wow, okay, thanks a lot Sounds like I'll only need my leather jacket.

Hookthebrotherup, as far as the boots, sound like perfect weather for boots! I wear my stilletto boots in the fall and spring only up here, because in the winter, you can easily slip on the ice and bust your butt. Otherwise, they'll be absolutely ruined by the salt! It'll be nice not to worry about that for a change.

Thanks you all (or do i have to say y'all now? :P )

Lol @enough snow to cover the yard. That's called dust.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:38 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,456,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettywings View Post

Hookthebrotherup, as far as the boots, sound like perfect weather for boots! I wear my stilletto boots in the fall and spring only up here, because in the winter, you can easily slip on the ice and bust your butt. Otherwise, they'll be absolutely ruined by the salt! It'll be nice not to worry about that for a change.

LOL...Oh, I agree with the "dusting". I'm orignally from NJ, so spent lots of time in the snow.
Granted, it was unusual for Houston to get that "amt" of snow...but it was very pretty...and so timely on Christmas Eve.
I wear boots all the time in the Winter....they are just not for snow!

Old 07-08-2009, 04:41 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,290,039 times
Default Good tip...

Someone earlier mentioned a nice coat for traveling, I agree. I am in Europe often, and when I am there, I do see nice coats that I would not mind having. When in Florence, I see some very nice ones, but I look at the cost, not because I cannot afford the coats, but because I would rarely, if ever, use it. So if you do have a nice one, do bring it so you can use it when you leave Houston. HA!

Old 07-08-2009, 05:27 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,919,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettywings View Post

Keep one nice coat for traveling (I got rid of all of mine, then had a lot of business in Detroit, Salt Lake, and NJ, and had to go BUY a trench coat with a zip-out lining).

Leather jacket = I wear mine all winter. Why? Because I drive my convertible to work in January with the top down (serious as I can be). Well, so long as it's not raining....

Went to Detroit in January of this year. Freezing. Got on Continental to come home to Houston, fully dressed for winter in Detroit. Got off plane, went to bathroom, changed to long sleeved t-shirt, got in convertible at IAH parking deck, dropped top and drove home on Beltway 8.

Welcome to Texas!

(Helpful hint for Michiganders moving to Texas: "Y'all" is plural. English is the only language that doesn't have that particular tense, so of course we southerners made it up. "Y'all" is plural for "you all". So if you're addressing an individual, it's "You". If you're addressing more than one individuals (2 or more) or are talking about a generic ("Y'all Texans"), then it's "Y'all". "Y'all" should never, ever, ever, ever (not ever, really) be used to address a single individual. Memorize this one and you can "Y'all" it up with the best of us. Also remember: you can say any horrible thing you want as long as you "bless their heart" with it. Example: "Bless her heart, she just looks TERRIBLE in that dress. I guess her Mama never taught her any better, bless her heart." ;-)

Old 07-08-2009, 06:01 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,156,504 times
Don't let the 35 - 40 degree weather fool you. That wind chill can get bad when a cold front comes through with 80% humidity and a steady wind (but I'm a wimp whn it gets cold). I guess you are used to that x5 though.

But don't worry, It will be in the upper 60's a few days later.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:23 PM

23,025 posts, read 34,417,745 times
It all depends on if you are cold natured or not, I'm not, I haven't worn a coat in YEARS here, I wish we had winters here, but we don't. Coming from up north you will probably laugh when you see people bundled up when it's 60.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:34 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,726,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Krinkle View Post
Don't let the 35 - 40 degree weather fool you. That wind chill can get bad when a cold front comes through with 80% humidity and a steady wind (but I'm a wimp whn it gets cold). I guess you are used to that x5 though.

But don't worry, It will be in the upper 60's a few days later.

This is where the thin layers tucked in helps, with a windbreaker over it and a hood tied under your chin. If the humidity and wind blow up to your chest and stomach it can make you cold indeed. Those cold winter days here remind me of the humid & cold fall in the Pacific NW, but it lacks the bite they have.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:30 PM

345 posts, read 1,079,410 times
I've heard the mention of rain quite a few times here. Does it rain in Houston moreso than other places? (I live near Chicago.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston