Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 12:02 PM

Location: Close enough to the Woodlands to enjoy the ammenities without being IN the Woodlands
147 posts, read 489,465 times

Advertisements

So, I am wading through the inspection agents and narrowing down who we like, but what's the best way to go about finding a lawyer for our impending home purchase? What kind of lawyer am I looking for? I want someone who is going to be an asset and not just a paper pusher...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 12:04 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,054,557 times
What are you purchasing. New or resale?

Old 07-23-2009, 12:05 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
a real estate lawyer. i like em for purchasing and selling.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:17 PM

Location: Close enough to the Woodlands to enjoy the ammenities without being IN the Woodlands
Resale, 5 years old. Any recommendations?
This one is close to where we are hoping to purchase:
http://www.drewmccallum.com/practice_areas.htm (broken link)

Old 07-23-2009, 12:31 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,054,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winebrat View Post
Resale, 5 years old. Any recommendations?
This one is close to where we are hoping to purchase:
Practice Areas | Drew & McCallum - Attorneys for Consumers and Businesses (http://www.drewmccallum.com/practice_areas.htm - broken link)
Is the property for sale by owner or another agent?

What exactly do you need a lawyer for? Just to review the paperwork or negotiate a special circumstance?

Old 07-23-2009, 12:42 PM

For sale by an agent and just to review and have someone in our best interest. When dealing with large sums of money and contracts, a lawyer is always best...I'm no lawyer. I don't want anything to be a "surprise".

Old 07-23-2009, 04:27 PM

619 posts, read 2,168,443 times
Quote:
So, I am wading through the inspection agents and narrowing down who we like, but what's the best way to go about finding a lawyer for our impending home purchase? What kind of lawyer am I looking for? I want someone who is going to be an asset and not just a paper pusher...
when it comes down to Real Estate often a Real Estate Broker is just as good as an attorney. There are things attorneys are not allowed to perform. A Real Estate License is and a license to practice Law are two different things.

Old 07-23-2009, 04:41 PM

Is a Real Estate Broker different than a Real Estate Agent? How does one find a Broker? We have an agent down there already.

Old 07-23-2009, 04:48 PM

619 posts, read 2,168,443 times
Quote:
Is a Real Estate Broker different than a Real Estate Agent? How does one find a Broker? We have an agent down there already.
A Real Estate Broker has a little more training than an agent , however, there are Agents with more experience and more knoledge than a Broker. In essence an agent works for a Broker. Agents are not allowed to practice Real Estate on their own.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:56 PM

637 posts, read 3,237,273 times
Get a real estate lawyer to review your contract once it is drawn up, they will charge you about $300-$400. The real estate contracts that realtors use to write up these offers are already on forms that have been promulgated by real estate attorneys though; most of the language in them is pro buyer, meaning they are giving the buyers certain protections.

Be fore-warned though; if you end up purchasing a foreclosure (which many do hese days) there will be bank addendums that follow for you to sign. These "addendums" will take all the buyer protections that are in the original contract away from you. Lawyers are notorious for scratching, crossing out, and re-writing on real estate contracts. If they happen to do this to the bank addendums you will be wasting your time as the bank will most certainly reject any variance from their addendums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston