Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 08:43 AM

447 posts, read 1,766,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeb1021 View Post
he currently works for Home Depot and can transfer if he can't find anything in his desired field right away. I currently teach a life skills/self sufficiency class for low-income people who need education/training/job assistance. I could go into something similar in Texas as this is what I did while I was there, however, I am planning to obtain my alternative teaching certification in Special Ed before we move back, with the hope of working in a low income school. So with all that being said, should we remain optimistic? I am hoping to get some honest input from all you wonderful Houston residents :-) Thanks so much for the help, sorry about the long winded post!
Certainly if you get certified to teach in Texas, especially SpecEd and you don't mind teaching in low income areas- you will not have a problem. Spec Ed is one area where Alt Cert doesn't hurt your chances and it looks like you have great experience that you will be able to highlight.

And if your husband can transfer to Home Depot-- great (he probably will have difficulty finding an engineering job with just an AD)

I agree that Texas is probably better place right now than Michigan-

Go for it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 01:30 PM

12 posts, read 27,014 times
thanks for all the responses! We kind of figured the same thing about engineering jobs w/the Associates, but he is planning on finishing his Bachelors and can transfer stores if needed. We also have family and friends there that we know can provide him a job if needed (not a career, but a job). I appreciate the honesty too... it's hard to gauge what's really going on based on media reports....

Old 07-24-2009, 02:33 PM

1,290 posts, read 5,438,293 times
I've been looking to make a job move for a while. I currently have a job and can afford to be picky. Since I started looking in February, I've had dozens of interviews and turned down three offers for various reasons. If I had lost my job in February and started looking I would have been re-employed within a couple weeks several times by now.

I'm actually getting pretty excited because one of my interviews earlier this week might produce an offer I'm actually going to take.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:41 PM

147 posts, read 350,982 times
There actually might not be as many jobs as you think. If you are a monolingual white woman, then it is MUCH more difficult for you.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:34 PM

134 posts, read 231,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeb1021 View Post
Hi! My husband and I lived in the Houston area for 3 years and are planning to move back *for good* next summer. We temporarily moved back to MI where we both grew up, for family/personal reasons.... but we loved Houston and we know that's where we want to be! Coming from MI, almost ANY economy seems better than here (6 counties in MI now have close to 20% unemployment rate). I know Texas overall is doing better than many other states, and I also realize no one can predict what a year will bring, but while we are very optimistic about moving back and finding good jobs, reading through this forum and other websites/forums, it seems a lot of people are negative about job prospects even in Houston. My husband will have his Associates degree in Mechanical Drafting/Design (AUTOcad, SolidWorks, etc) and would like to find an entry level job doing that while he finishes his Engineering degree. However, he currently works for Home Depot and can transfer if he can't find anything in his desired field right away. I currently teach a life skills/self sufficiency class for low-income people who need education/training/job assistance. I could go into something similar in Texas as this is what I did while I was there, however, I am planning to obtain my alternative teaching certification in Special Ed before we move back, with the hope of working in a low income school. So with all that being said, should we remain optimistic? I am hoping to get some honest input from all you wonderful Houston residents :-) Thanks so much for the help, sorry about the long winded post!
The Unemployment rate in Houston is now at 8%...below the national average. He who seeks shall find. you guys will find work. I say the 8% are just busy collecting checks and not really looking. The economy here is good all things considering. MUCH better than MI. Texas is one of the first 5 states predicted to pull out of the recession in the 4th quarter. Those negative posts about work are from people who don't want more competition!! If you want to be anywhere, it's here. Good luck, stay positive, and you guys will be fine.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:52 PM

111 posts, read 542,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dirty View Post
There actually might not be as many jobs as you think. If you are a monolingual white woman, then it is MUCH more difficult for you.
Can you elaborate on this comment? Just wondering b/c I am as you described, and was considering a move to Houston from the North Virginia/DC area b/c of the lower cost of living, however, the job market and opportunities here are great. So, it sounds like I would have a hard time there? BTW, I am a Special Education Teacher, and would be looking into education administration jobs there.
Thanks for your insight.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:38 PM

156 posts, read 493,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
I would say the best bet for anyone out of work is go back to school for something health care related.
... and that is exactly what I am doing. However, it is going to be a tight two years for my family. I am working toward my Master in Healthcare Administration.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:51 PM

134 posts, read 231,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dirty View Post
LOL..that's funny. We ALL know that's not true. Please don't cry racism against whites...it's just too funny to hear that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: