Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 12:51 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,707,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier1774 View Post
You are right. There are a lot of Indians and Asians in Sugar Land, but I think the majority of the residents are still white (non-Hispanic). My friends that are Indian moved to Sugar Land because of the schools. they also told me that he has family in the Memorial area too because they like the public schools and the location to all the private schools in the area.
Actually, Sugar Land doesn't have a single high school where white kids make over 50% of the population. So white kids really aren't the majority in the land of sweet.

Which is totally fine & dandy!

Old 08-24-2009, 01:46 PM

99 posts, read 367,687 times
I live in Telfair now and I have no problem with the ethnic makeup of the neighborhood or the city. Yes, there are a lot of non-white people here, but so what? All I care is that I have good neighbors, no matter their race, and thus far that has proven to be the case 100%.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:07 PM

232 posts, read 701,384 times
I looked at the city's reported data on residential make up. Many people that are white send their kids to several of the private schools in the area. (Catholic, Baptist, Honor Roll, etc. etc. etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
Actually, Sugar Land doesn't have a single high school where white kids make over 50% of the population. So white kids really aren't the majority in the land of sweet.

Which is totally fine & dandy!

Old 08-24-2009, 04:28 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Quote:
I looked at the city's reported data on residential make up. Many people that are white send their kids to several of the private schools in the area. (Catholic, Baptist, Honor Roll, etc. etc. etc.)
Somehow I find this hard to believe. So you're saying a large percentage of white residents, in Sugarland, pay public school tax for this apparently fantastic school district, private school in Sugarland tuition, and probably still commute to downtown. It doesn't add up.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:12 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Somehow I find this hard to believe. So you're saying a large percentage of white residents, in Sugarland, pay public school tax for this apparently fantastic school district, private school in Sugarland tuition, and probably still commute to downtown. It doesn't add up.
I doubt that most of the white residents are sending their kids to private. However, I wouldn't be surprised if many of the area private schools are primarily white.

People in the higher income brackets often use private, even when the public schools are perfectly fine. Does this not happen in west Memorial as well? As far as reasons for choosing Sugar Land, probably has to do with the zoning, reputation, suburban lifestyle, and proximity to employment areas of southwest Houston (Greenway, Medical Center, Stafford, even Sugar Land has lots of companies.) Also, the taxes really aren't bad; many of the more established areas are 2-2.5%.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Does this not happen in west Memorial as well?.
It happens,but not often enough to shrink the white population in schools below..what is it?.. 40%.... I would say 80% of West Memorial Residents use public and about 60% Village residents use public. None of which are putting in major commutes.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:30 PM

Stats for West Memorial and Memorial

Central Elem for West Memorial- Wilchester..whiter than Memorial Elem???

White 80%
Asian 12 %...kinda surprised by this because I've never seen an Asian household around here
Hispanic 7%
Black <1%

Memorial Elem. Central Village School
White 79%
Hispanic 11%
Asian 8%
Black 1%

Memorial Middle School-- Central Jr. High for both areas
White 74%
Asian 17%
Hispanic 7%
Black 1%

Stratford High School
White 60%--(stats for '08-'09 have it up to 70% now in other places)
Hispanic 17%
Black 12%
Asian 11%

Memorial High School
White 75%
Hispanic 13%
Asian 11%
Black 1%

All from Greatschools.org

So in conclusion, rich white folk don't seem to use private schools "often" enough in this area to make a huge dent in that majority population. However, I am a big believer in private school.s

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 08-24-2009 at 05:39 PM..

Old 08-24-2009, 05:42 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
No one in west Memorial commutes to downtown?
It's what, a whole 5 miles closer to downtown than Sugar Land is?

What point are we trying to make here? I'm starting to get lost in this thread...
What is the point of all the school stats? Why do half these threads about Sugar Land turn into negativity by west Memorial people?
From what I remember, the first post was addressed to Sugar Land residents about parking issues... how does that turn into what the stores look like and schools look like by people who don't even live in the area? I don't think any Sugar Land residents need enlightenment about other school district ethnicities or commute times... what is the point?

Old 08-24-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
No one in west Memorial commutes to downtown?
It's what, a whole 5 miles closer to downtown than Sugar Land is?

What point are we trying to make here? I'm starting to get lost in this thread...
What is the point of all the school stats? Why do half these threads about Sugar Land turn into negativity by west Memorial people?
You stated that people in our area use private schools too, in defense of your waning white percentages. They do, but not in the volume that reduces the public school population to below 40%.
Most in West Houston work in the EC. But a commute to downtown is 15-20 minutes. I do it once a week. It takes less than 2 minutes to get to the freeway around here.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:

Yeah this thread is lost. But yeah why does that happen? hmmm...oh yeah..you are the one that pulled Memorial into this. I was fine just arguing the statement that all white folk put their kids in private down there...

AK123
"People in the higher income brackets often use private, even when the public schools are perfectly fine. Does this not happen in west Memorial as well?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston