Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 12:49 AM

1,006 posts, read 735,447 times

Advertisements

I'm not new to Houston but lately I've been bored out of my mine. All of my friends are older than I, the closets one being 5 years older than me (I'm 25). They have either had kids or are married and can't go out. I'm always invited to dinners and family get together's but I feel out of place with all the kids running around and what not. I'm just wondering what are some good ways to get to know new people without getting involved in relationships? I'm not looking for a girl as the one I just broke up with literally tried to kill me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 07:33 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times
Default Some tips....

25 years old, Saturday night, almost 02:00 in the morning . Drunk post?

Kidding aside, how about dancing? Do you dance, like to dance. I know that when I went to SSQQ to take dance lessons many years ago, there were tons of women; I dated more than a few . There have been many couples who met there, and then married later.

Honestly though, friendships are relationships of varying degrees. I think you meant you don't want to date, just looking for people to hang out with? Join the different clubs, hiking, biking, sailing, etc.

I think many of us were just like you at one time, or another; I recall the BBQs, family parties, etc. because I am not originally from Houston and did not know many people except co-workers. I'd still take them up on it if I were you; you will learn later in life that networking is your best friend, and it will lead you to what you want. Those people also have friends like you who are single, eventually you will connect.

Good luck. But before I close, I must ask, what did your ex do to you that almost killed you?

Old 08-16-2009, 07:44 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,827,101 times
Meetup.com - you can meet people who share whatever interests you have.

And yes, if you don't have children, it can be incredibly boring and/or annoying to hang out with friends who are parents when their children are around. I remember that well from my pre-parenthood days!

Old 08-16-2009, 09:04 AM

191 posts, read 773,189 times
Try taking a class or two that interests you through Leisure Learning (their catalogs are in stores and I think I have seen them at Whole Foods) or take a continuating education class at one of the universities around town. Do some volunteer work to meet people. You can join a gym and strike conversations with the people around you.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:00 PM

302 posts, read 885,515 times
I am in your boat, too. Houston is hard for friend-dates, it seems.

Do things that interest you, and hopefully you will come across people with similar mindsets.

Anyone you get along with at your work? Try to grab a beer with someone next happy hour.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:35 PM

159 posts, read 565,911 times
Might I suggest finding a local church with a thriving singles group? Churches are a great way to meet decent people (who won't try to kill you), but there are groups of singles who get together and do things.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:58 PM

298 posts, read 954,942 times
I agree with classes...

Also, get involved in something local that you are interested in. Meetup may be good for this, but I am not familiar with it personally.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:33 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,490,175 times
Pick up smoking and start hanging out in bars.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanewidick View Post
Might I suggest finding a local church with a thriving singles group? Churches are a great way to meet decent people (who won't try to kill you), but there are groups of singles who get together and do things.
Great suggestion but I'm not the religious type any more.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
25 years old, Saturday night, almost 02:00 in the morning . Drunk post?

Kidding aside, how about dancing? Do you dance, like to dance. I know that when I went to SSQQ to take dance lessons many years ago, there were tons of women; I dated more than a few . There have been many couples who met there, and then married later.

Honestly though, friendships are relationships of varying degrees. I think you meant you don't want to date, just looking for people to hang out with? Join the different clubs, hiking, biking, sailing, etc.

I think many of us were just like you at one time, or another; I recall the BBQs, family parties, etc. because I am not originally from Houston and did not know many people except co-workers. I'd still take them up on it if I were you; you will learn later in life that networking is your best friend, and it will lead you to what you want. Those people also have friends like you who are single, eventually you will connect.

Good luck. But before I close, I must ask, what did your ex do to you that almost killed you?
She was a cop in Florida, I didnt want a long distant relationship and she did. I made it very clear that I did not want to pursue anything more but she continued to call/email. Once I stopped answering/replying, she showed up at my house at 2:00am honking her car horn. I stepped outside, we argued for a bit and I turned to walk away and she hit me in the head with her billy-club twice. I blacked out and woke up in an ambulance with 28 stitches. She lost her job and I filed a restrainig order. The End.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston