Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 08:15 PM

104 posts, read 359,756 times

Advertisements

what do they usually ask on a Polygraph test for a job? I never had one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 10:29 PM

497 posts, read 1,485,467 times
Only a very few govt. agencies require a poly. Is this a private sector job? I would be curious as to what it is.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:30 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,534,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alisha_amos View Post
If it's a private firm, tell them to f** off! This sh** is absurd!.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:02 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
I must know what job you are applying for that will require a polygraph?

Old 08-25-2009, 08:20 AM

344 posts, read 1,187,123 times
Quote:
I think polygraphs are only allowed as pre-employment screening for occupations like law enforcement, fire, teachers, etc. Basically government employees in sensitive positions with higher standards of trust in their employees. Some private employers, like those who have government contracts to do sensitive materials work, private prisons, armored car companies, companies that design and build high security structures (jails, military bases), or businesses that manufacture, transport or sell controlled substances would all probably be allowed to use a polygraph test as a screening tool.

What kind of questions? Well, I would say any subject pertinent to their ability to trust you to perform that job without being a risk. Imagine what kind of behavior would be a risk (theft, drug use, past criminal acts) and probing questions along those lines will be on their list of things to do.

Government agencies where the employees have access to sensitive information, have control over people or property, or are given broad discretionary powers are going to get into areas in which your position might be compromised by you or someone blackmailing you. Sexual deviancy, credit history, friends and family who are criminals, etc.

For sure there will be a pre-screening questionnaire or interview that will hit on all the things they are allowed to delve into. Any polygraph exam will ask if you were honest on your answers, and if they detect deception they will no doubt go over your answers from the earlier questions and try to find out if you were deceptive and about what. Even when your answers are not an immediate disqualifier (i.e. you "passed"), the polygraph operators, or the psychologist, will inform the background investigator of a particular area to pay particular attention to. Any quality background investigation will not just go talk to the people you listed on your application as references, neighbors, employers, etc. They will go seek out their own sources as well, people who are more likely to be completely honest because they had not been picked by the applicant or warned about the investigation. You would be surprised how many neighbors will speak highly of an applicant, to be completely refuted by someone two houses down (and whose name was not supplied by the applicant) who tells a different story

I worked for, and with, government agencies that all required polygraphs, psychological tests and interviews, and very extensive background investigations. I've overseen hiring and security clearance checks and I know that everyone is nervous about "passing". The temptation to try and hide something is high for just about everybody (few of us like to admit to any failings or say something that will costs us the job) and I've seen many people get tripped up because they tried to hide something. Not that everyone gets caught, but many people just outsmart themselves. No clue why you ask the question, but the general advice I would give anyone going through such a process is to just answer all questions honestly. Some of the things that people try to hide are things that can be "fixed" so the applicant can become eligible to be hired. But when they try to hide it by being deceptive, they find out that many of these particular class of employers will permanently bar any applicant who knowingly gave false information. I've seen many people have a future career go away forever because they tried to cover up an easily correctable deficiency.

Last edited by DrLizardo; 08-25-2009 at 08:35 AM..

Old 08-25-2009, 08:21 AM

100 posts, read 305,763 times
I would fail.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:57 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I must know what job you are applying for that will require a polygraph?
Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing.

I hope the job pays extremely well, too.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:03 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caldvn View Post
I would fail.
Ha! Yeah, I don't know what questions they would ask but I'm sure they would get me somehow...

Old 08-25-2009, 09:09 AM

100 posts, read 305,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Ha! Yeah, I don't know what questions they would ask but I'm sure they would get me somehow...
"Have you used and/or know of someone who has used drugs?" -duh
"Do you cheat on your taxes?" -not intentionally
"Have you ever had naughty thoughts?" -no comments
"Do you ever wanna kill someone?" -....sometimes
"Have you ever commited a crime?" -....speeding

I don't know anyone who has lived a prestine 100% life. But I'll assume they'll ask legitimate questions otherwise no one will ever pass.

I remember watching something in regards to cheating the poly tests. Something about listening to the question and then thinking a different question to answer the question. "Are you right handed?" - (think Are you left handed?)

Old 08-25-2009, 06:28 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,825,153 times
I thought polygraph tests were unreliable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston