Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2012, 07:55 PM

8 posts, read 13,002 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

My wife and I are seriously considering a move to Houston in the next year or two. We are a Black, lesbian couple in our mid thirties with a 13 year old son. The earliest we would move would be next summer after he finishes middle school. We have both lived in NYC all our lives and are just really over it. In looking for a new city we started researching about a year ago and Houston seems to offer the most of what we are looking for. We are drawn to Houston because of the –
· Diversity
· Lower cost of living
· Decent job market
· Warmer weather
· A city with lots to do
· Professional sports (I love sports so having pro basketball, baseball and football is a big plus)
· Lack of hills (my wife hates hills lol)

There are other elements we have come across but those are some the highlights. We are looking for safe neighborhoods that are diverse as we have lived in all Black neighborhoods and all White neighborhoods and did not like either. We like to be around different types of people. It’s also important that the neighborhood be open to a same sex couple. We are not big PDA people but just want to feel comfortable in the neighborhood. Schools are very important as our soon has been in the top classes of the gifted and talented program almost his entire school career. He excels in math and science but also is very talented musician, singer and actor. I have already begun looking at the Houston School of the Arts as I think it would be a great fit for him. We currently are approximately a 150K household although I’m still researching how salaries compare in Houston so I do not know if we will stay in that range or dip below a bit.

We plan to begin looking for jobs at the beginning of 2013 and our success with that will dictate whether we move next year or the year after. I have spent the past 10 years in government and nonprofit management and will be completing my MPA next year. My wife is studying to get her MSW and has experience working social work case manager.
We are going to make our first trip down this July and I was wondering if given the information I provided if you all could suggest some neighborhoods we should look at while we are visiting? I realize that it’s easier to suggest neighborhoods when someone has a job and to just suggest areas based on that but it would be great if we could get some areas all over Houston that would fit us so no matter where the jobs are we’ll have a great jumping off point.

I tried to provide a lot of detail but if I left anything out just ask.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 08:06 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,193,859 times
Here's the good news:
Houston is diverse.
If you hate hills, this is definately the city for you.
It's cool in winter, warm in spring and fall, and hot, really hot, in summer.
Good job market.
Lower cost of living than most large cities.

Here's the bad:
The city is so huge geographically that it becomes vital to choose home location based on the commute.

You might want just get a feel for the housing market while you are down - but wait to make a major decision until job locations are decided upon.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:24 PM

117 posts, read 229,693 times
Based on your budget, the suburbs sound like the place for you, which one you choose depends on what you will do for work.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:42 PM

285 posts, read 567,834 times
Houston meets the criteria in your post very, very well. Come on down!

Old 04-16-2012, 09:55 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,051,124 times
Look into Westbury. It's a diverse, middle class, suburban-looking neighborhood. It's been called a "gayborhood," but not so you'd notice... it's just honestly diverse. Schools are an issue, but it's home to a music-magnet elementary and art-magnet middle school (Parker and Johnston), and the local kids who are musicians find their way into magnet high schools. There's HSPVA, for example, in Montrose. Westbury HS does not have a good reputation but it does have a pretty good music program, I think, and a great principal. Neighborhood is near the 610 loop so you can get most places pretty fast.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:47 AM

391 posts, read 922,740 times
You will all love Houston! Houston is extremely diverse and doesn't have very many all-white or all-black. Coming from NYC you would all probably like the museum district, uptown, neartown and Montrose areas. They are all very up-and-coming areas of Houston and the Montrose area is a predominantly gay area of Houston and I think the most culturally awesome area of Houston too!! No matter where you live in Houston, people here are very accepting of everyone. I think that is what makes this city so great is that no matter who you are you always feel welcomed here in Houston.

Luckily, in Houston, there are no hills. Houston is about as flat as a pancake, except for the freeway overpasses and interchanges! Houston salaries aren't as high as NYC, but our cost of living is substantially cheaper than NYC so you actually come out ahead in Houston over NYC. Note, you will need a car in this city. Our light rail only services a very limited area of the inner city and the car in Houston is king. Not to worry though, auto insurance is incredibly and significantly cheaper than NYC!

Also, when it comes to the fun things to do and keep your family entertained, Houston has it all! All the sports, world class museums, excellent theatre (2nd to NYC in fact), tons of parks (the most of any large city in the USA), close to the ocean, lakes, national forests... there truely is something for everyone in this city!

I hope this helps you and welcome to Houston! =)

Old 11-15-2012, 04:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,254 times
I would have to agree. I am a Native and people complain about our city's heat lol IT IS FREAKIN HOT!! We get snow every not blue, not yellow, not silver but neon purple moon LMAO! so come on down and we say ya'll not you all but ya'll will get used to it:-) leave your winter coat and bring more flip flops jussayin it is warm. Montrose or Midtown is where you want to live! Clearly we are not homophobic as we are the ONLY city who elected an openly gay mayor and she is a woman.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:52 PM

43 posts, read 68,929 times
I was just working with a couple from NYC and they thought every place I showed them was so BIG! I would start with HSPVA as far as school but it is not easy to get into. Houston is a car city so start with the job and find housing based on that. You probably don't want to be commuting for an hour each way. As far as diversity, Houston is great. Even in the burbs there are people from all over the world due to the oil companies. We are all pretty used to seeing people that aren't exactly like us. Good luck!

Old 11-16-2012, 03:00 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,662,065 times
I think Houston sounds great for you, as long as you can stand the heat of the summer! I used to live not far from NYC, and I don't miss the snow and cold, that's for sure. I agree with the previous poster in that the only hills are man made ones. LOL.

As for where to live, a lot does depend on your job location. But Houston is very welcoming to people from other locations and of varying backgrounds, so you would be welcome pretty much anywhere. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: