Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 12:01 PM

23 posts, read 107,564 times

Advertisements

My husband and I would like to go to a marriage counselor. He recently had an affair. I don't know if we'll work it out or not, but we want to get with someone good. It's not a decision to take lightly, and I don't know anyone who has seen a marriage counselor.

I live near the Galleria/Rice/Museum District, but location isn't the most important thing.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 01:52 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,823,031 times
Dr. Bill Kerley

If he is booked, he is a past president of the Houston Association of Marriage and Family Therapy and he likely knows a lot of good couples counselors so he can refer you to someone.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:56 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,851,661 times
Good luck. I think it's great that you are willing to take a big step in getting outside help.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:01 PM

619 posts, read 2,167,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellastella View Post
My husband and I would like to go to a marriage counselor. He recently had an affair. I don't know if we'll work it out or not, but we want to get with someone good. It's not a decision to take lightly, and I don't know anyone who has seen a marriage counselor.

I live near the Galleria/Rice/Museum District, but location isn't the most important thing.

Thanks.
Don`t waste your money. You and him has to work it out. No counsellor is going to tell you that you and your husband can work it out.
What is your counsellor going to tell you?

Old 08-30-2009, 05:14 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,197,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flo2900 View Post
Don`t waste your money. You and him has to work it out. No counsellor is going to tell you that you and your husband can work it out.
What is your counsellor going to tell you?
"You two can work it out".

Your better off just working it out with eachother instead of getting a counselor involved even though we all know what they are going to tell you.

Outside help only complicates the problem even more imo

Old 08-30-2009, 05:17 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
sorry dont know your area. a marriage counselor is a false title. she is a counselor.
she will help both of you but the the stats do not favor marriage counseling. , 90% failure rate.
he is going to the counselor bek he is scared not bek he wants to heal the cheating.
he has reason to be scared, he will be renting a room soon and paying you huge bucks for what used to be free.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 08-30-2009 at 05:47 PM..

Old 08-30-2009, 05:44 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,757,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellastella View Post

Thanks.
Sorry to hear about your situation. I don't know if this may help, but you may find some good advice/help on this board //www.city-data.com/forum/relationships/ good luck.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:56 PM

241 posts, read 585,617 times
I completely disagree with people saying counseling cannot help you.

From personal experience, I know that counseling can be one of the most profound events you ever experience in your life if you put real energy into it and work with someone good.

I regret I don't know anyone in Houston to refer you to--however, you may want to ask your family physician for a referral. No need to go into details if you don't want; just say you are looking for a marriage counselor to help you work on some issues.

Good luck!

Old 08-30-2009, 10:45 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,197,088 times
Well I'm almost anti-marriage because most marriages don't last. Deception is something people need to prepare themselves for before getting married because lots of the time; it's going to happen.

I see counseling pointless because you know what they are going to tell you and its more about what you want. As far as is your spouse honest? How many times have they lied? Do you feel it could work? etc

Those are things only you and only yourself can answer. People can help you understand, but in the end it all comes down to you.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:50 PM

569 posts, read 1,078,252 times
Here's a list of counselors
Counseling Center Team
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston