Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 07:06 PM

4 posts, read 54,390 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are moving to Katy but havent decided where to live yet. Number one on our list is safety. We are looking at spending between $190k and as high as $220k.

We have had some bad experiences in the past with neighborhoods. I know there is crime everywhere, but there are also neighborhoods where you have a good feeling of safety. At least I hope there is one somewhere. After some trying times I want my family to have peace of mind. I would rather have a smaller house in a very nice neighborhood than a big house in a more average one.

I especially dont want to live where people keep dangerous dogs and there are weak fences. Is there a neighborhood that has brick fences? :0) I would certainly sign up for that house.

Also, I know there is alot of talk out there about Cinco Ranch and Grand lakes etc. But there is also alot of variation in those neighborhoods. I heard there was a home invasion in Cinco but that was in the part near the tollway. What I am looking for is not just which neighborhood(some of these are HUGE), but what PART of the neighborhood is the best.

In a nutshell: price up to $220k, min 3 bedrooms, NICE neighbors who dont act like idiots, low crime, away from highways(prefer in the heart of a neighborhood), gated preferred but not required, and a strong fence is a good selling point with me too.

Thank you all for any ideas you may have. I know I am asking for alot and this will be a long search but wish me luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 09:23 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,935,739 times
My part of Cinco seems to be as safe as you can get...if there is such a thing. No big dogs, no weak fences, no home invasions or even car thefts....yet. That would be Highland Park section, between Gaston Rd and west of Cinco Ranch Blvd. However I'm not sure if there are any houses left in your price range, they get snapped up fast.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:06 PM

Thanks SB. I guess I should say "safer", as you are right and there is no such thing as a perfectly safe neighborhood. Are there any parts of Cinco that I should avoid?

Old 09-14-2009, 06:01 AM
cla

898 posts, read 3,307,151 times
I can't think of any sections of Cinco that I would consider bad. That being said, I wouldn't move to any neighborhood right off of a major roadway. Most neighborhoods around Cinco are also nice - Seven Meadows, Kelliwood, Grand Lakes and others. Just west of where sbhubbel and I both live is the newest section of Cinco. You could build something new in your price range, and if you back to a street, you will get a brick fence along the rear of your property.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:30 AM

100 posts, read 305,704 times
You may also want to do search on "sex offender" in the area. There was a site that you could use that would mark "registered" sex offenders on a map. I believe there was also a site that would mark recent crime, and what type of crime it was on a map.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:42 AM

Thanks to everyone for the helpful suggestions. So far, it looks like Seven Meadows, Kelliwood, Grand Lakes, and Cinco Ranch are the best bets. Are any of these gated communities or is that only for homes $500k and up?

What about the newer subdivisions further west I have heard about? Firethorne, Grayson Lakes, Woodcreek, SIlver Ranch etc? Any feedback on them?

Thanks again!!

Old 09-14-2009, 10:42 AM

443 posts, read 1,792,538 times
Kelliwood, Firethorne are pretty high dollar. I enjoy living in Seven Meadows. Very family oriented just like most of Katy. I'd say, stick to the South side of I-10

Old 09-14-2009, 11:08 AM

1,326 posts, read 3,450,367 times
A couple of other areas you might want to consider are Westheimer Lakes North and Pinemill Ranch.
Both areas are safe and you will get more house for your money than you would in Cinco or Grand Lakes.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:38 AM

160 posts, read 399,353 times
Just a couple miles west of Cinco is Cross Creek Ranch that has new homes in your price range. It is within the City of Fulshear that has its own police department for a City of about 1500 or less. All the other neighborhoods receive patrols from the sheriffs department which is spread out more because they are not in within an incorporated city boundary. Most of the other neighborhoods listed above probably pay for supplemental sheriff/constable patrols but the number of officers per household is still high compared to that of a smaller City.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:42 AM

443 posts, read 1,792,538 times
I'd be surprise if you could find something in Cross Creek Ranch for $220,000

There haven't been many murders in my neighborhood lately so I consider it pretty safe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston