Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 03:31 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyhawk View Post
Unfortunately, it would be a much shorter to list the good sides of town. Inside the 610 loop, you pretty much want to stay west of I-45.

You mean in the loop, west of 288 on the south, west of I-45 on the north.

That area on the south side, in the loop, between 288 and 45 is pretty rough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 03:34 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
yeah you guys are right, houston is a forrest of trees. laughable.
Not everything in this city is like a mass production subdivision in Spring.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:41 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Quote:
yeah you guys are right, houston is a forrest of trees. laughable. apparently all those who think houston is full of trees have never left houston (and the woodlands doesnt count and is not houston. out of the 5 major cities/areas in texas (houston, DFW, austin, san antonio, and elpaso) only 1 has less tree coverage then houston and thats el paso which happens to be in a desert.
I don't think so.
Sounds like you're the one who hasn't been around Houston much.

Quote:
west side? you mean out towards the katy PRAIRIE? yeah that has a lot of trees, a whole lot for a bunch or old rice fields and cattle pastures.
No, the west side of Houston from River Oaks all the way out to Hwy 6.

Quote:
or do you guys mean all the 4" caliper trees speced into most home builder/developer budgets for those "master planned communities" you live in? those are a joke. go to san antonio, go to austin where the builders work around the natural trees instead of clearing all vegetation off of every available piece of land in the houston area.
You think Austin and San Antonio don't have master-planned communities too?

Quote:
the woodlands is as close to natural as can be had in the houston area
Besides the White Rock Lake / University are of Dallas, please tell me where in Dallas is so covered in trees to make that metro have more trees than Houston (hint - you can't, because it doesn't.)

Quote:
nearly every major city in every other state makes a point to keep the vegetation as natural as possible but not houston (and parts of DFW). "take them all down, we can always plant more."
This is the only thing you said that contributes here... Houston does need to do a better job of that.

Even so, Houston is certainly not lacking in large trees.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:46 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,907,034 times
Houston is so big that choice of where to live depends on where you are going work.

Last edited by Danbo1957; 09-17-2009 at 03:58 PM..

Old 09-17-2009, 03:49 PM

170 posts, read 774,361 times
Uhh Ohh, a lil confused. One person says go west, the other says go south, the other says stay east, can you kinda tell me the names of these areas.

I want to stay in an apartment, so imagine if I were looking in an apartmenty guide book, which areas should I focus on. I'd like affordable (which to me affordable is the standard rate everyone is paying for a 1 bedroom apartment in this economy).

Old 09-17-2009, 03:55 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,907,034 times
Where are you going to work?

Old 09-17-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApostolicFlightAttendant View Post
Uhh Ohh, a lil confused. One person says go west, the other says go south, the other says stay east, can you kinda tell me the names of these areas.
Tell us one thing - do you want to live closer to the city core or the suburbs? Note, "suburban" doesn't always mean "safe." Do you want to be closer to the big city amenities, or do you want more space?

If you're wanting just a 1br apartment, you can have that just about anywhere.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:57 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
Different areas have different pricing. Name a budget and where you will be working and you will get better answers. Commuting is a big factor in Houston.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:59 PM

170 posts, read 774,361 times
I work from home (customer service agent - remote) so there is no commute. T shirt and pajamas are my work clothes every day lol.

Budget? Hmmmm, 500 to 600 a month for the one bedroom is what I want to stay in.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApostolicFlightAttendant View Post
Budget? Hmmmm, 500 to 600 a month for the one bedroom is what I want to stay in.
If you're wanting to live anywhere close in, it's not going to be big, and it's not going to be that great. I'm all too aware of this fact, but I deal with it.

You're not going to be somewhere "crime-free" but you won't get that for double or triple what you say you can pay. That said, you'll do a lot better here than you would do in LA, Chicago, Toronto or anyplace similar. $500/mo won't cut it, unless you want a tiny room with roommate(s).

I've kept from having anything happen to me by keeping valuables out of the car and locking the doors. Then again, it's easy to keep valuables out of the car when one doesn't own much of anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston