Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 08:26 AM

2,628 posts, read 8,834,981 times

Advertisements

I would look at some of the areas off Braeswood starting inside the loop and out through Meyerland. Many of these areas have the good schools, a reasonable level of diversity, decent lot sizes and some options under $800k. Many of these areas appeal to people who can't find a fit in West U proper for that price point. Someone else mentioned Bellaire, which I would also keep on the list.

I don't think Memorial would have the diversity that you seek. They think it has gotten diverse over there if a Democrat moves on the block.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 10:46 PM

4 posts, read 7,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
I would look at some of the areas off Braeswood starting inside the loop and out through Meyerland. Many of these areas have the good schools, a reasonable level of diversity, decent lot sizes and some options under $800k. Many of these areas appeal to people who can't find a fit in West U proper for that price point. Someone else mentioned Bellaire, which I would also keep on the list.

I don't think Memorial would have the diversity that you seek. They think it has gotten diverse over there if a Democrat moves on the block.

The comment re: Memorial made us laugh out loud!!! THANK YOU!

And the advice seems consistent on West Univ, Bellaire - looks like we are going to strongly consider these areas.

And a question for folks - what about the Memorial (or Memorial adjacent?!) area that is just west of the Sam Houston Tollway? Seems like there is a bit more diversity, your housing dollar goes a bit farther and it's still in the Spring Branch school district. Thoughts?

Old 09-28-2009, 11:56 PM

61 posts, read 185,833 times
We moved from Southern Cal just 4 months ago. I love it here. I just want to give a plug for my neighborhood because we love it so much. We moved to a neighborhood north of FM1960 and inbetween I45 and 249. Our sub-division is called Olde Oaks. It is a bit far from downtown...but it is beautiful here. The lots are fairly large, and our home is 3300 sq. feet., large back yard and a pool. We are renting for now, but will most likely buy this home for $160,000.

This neighborhood is very diverse and it seems that there is a little bit of everything here...what I mean by that is there are older couples, young couples, and families. It is very peaceful here, but just up the road is FM 1960 one way, and Louetta the other, with every store and restaurant you could ever want.

I think the school for my area is not one of the desirable schools, but I know if you live just a couple of blocks away, you are then in a different school district. Admittedly, I have not paid much attention to the schools...I plan on my daughter attending private school...and with the money we will save on the home purchase, private school is a reality for us.

Good Luck

Last edited by katmama; 09-28-2009 at 11:57 PM.. Reason: Posted before i was finished.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:37 PM

657 posts, read 2,545,795 times
I believe when you go west of the tollway on Memorial you are in the section for Stratford High and when you're east you go to Memorial High. I looked at the Great Schools website and they list Memorial's student body as 1% black as opposed to Stratford at 12%. Obviously Memorial flunks the diversity test. The houses out west are less fancy though and it's more of a commute. I'm not an expert, but I'd guess the houses on Memorial west of the tollway would generally range from 350 to 500,000 dollars. There's some teardowns that are probably more.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:06 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,290,932 times
77079 is the area you are referring to and you could get a new construction in your price range zoned to good schools . . I have many friends in that area and it is very family friendly.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:45 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,501,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
77079 is the area you are referring to and you could get a new construction in your price range zoned to good schools . . I have many friends in that area and it is very family friendly.

Yes, but diversity in the single family neighborhoods is still very minimal untill you get west of Dairy Ashford...and then it's still not much. Most of the diversity comes from the apartments along I-10.

The commute to downtown isn't bad at all. 30 minutes if you insist on using I-10 all the way in, or 20-23 if you avoid the 610 interchange backup, and use Memorial Drive on in.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:56 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,501,448 times
Ps- Poke fun at Memorial all you want. The community has accomplished what most of Houston has failed at, and up untill 15 years ago, the prices were not that prohibitive, especially west of the Beltway. They've kept their schools excellent, their community safe and clean, and they didn't allowing the butchering up residental lots for townhouse/garden home McStuccoville...and the property values pushed higher because of that. Nor did they "white flight" out of the city in fear of the diversity around them.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:47 PM

657 posts, read 2,545,795 times
It helps to have money and influence when an area maintains its standards. The house I grew up in used to have a field that I played in behind my backyard. Now it's a lot of 3 story apartments where the field was.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:08 AM

91 posts, read 293,467 times
Default Yes to Braeswood and Meyerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by karuna95 View Post
A couple more places to consider: BraesHeights (77025) and MeyerLand (77096). Nice neighborhoods, diverse, zoned to Lamar HS and Bellaire HS. I'd read that Bellaire has the most number of National Merit Scholars of any public HS. Both have very good IB/AP programs.
These are the exact areas I was going to suggest. I live in Bellaire. It's hands-down white, with some Asians, Indians, and, like, one black and one Mexican. I have to say that though it's not what you'd call diverse, it's very friendly, and a very pleasant place to live. Someone mentioned that it's surrounded by bad areas; I'm not sure where they are, unless you go a distance to get to Sharpstown or Bellfort or someplace.

My nephews have enrolled in Pershing Middle School and Bellaire HS. Both are good schools, and highly diverse, which I didn't expect considering the Bellaire factor. If I'm not mistaken, Pershing sits in/near Braeswood, a very nice area. I'd commute downtown from any of these areas, and I'm a person who works from home because I disdain a commute of any kind. (I moved here from L.A. too.)

Just my 2 cents. Good luck wherever you choose to live. I think you'll like it down here.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:03 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,005,041 times
For $800K - you could get a 5000 sq foot home here :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston