Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2009, 01:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,157 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will relocating to the Houston area very soon. He will be commuting to Huntsville or Conroe 3 days a week and telecommuting the other days. I will most likely be working in Houston 5 days a week. We are having a difficult time deciding on where to live. We would prefer to live in the Houston Heights or Montrose area, because he would be going to a martial arts school in that area a few nights a week. Also, we have other interests in that area. I am concerned about his commute to Huntsville/Conroe and starting to consider a suburb. What is the commute from Houston to Huntsville/Conroe like? And, what would the commute be like for me into Houston if we lived in Conroe/Woodlands? Need some insight!! Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 01:23 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,937,594 times
Its an hour or more to Huntsville from downtown areas but it would be against traffic.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:31 PM

165 posts, read 564,335 times
Default Spring, Woodlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhuli View Post
My husband and I will relocating to the Houston area very soon. He will be commuting to Huntsville or Conroe 3 days a week and telecommuting the other days. I will most likely be working in Houston 5 days a week. We are having a difficult time deciding on where to live. We would prefer to live in the Houston Heights or Montrose area, because he would be going to a martial arts school in that area a few nights a week. Also, we have other interests in that area. I am concerned about his commute to Huntsville/Conroe and starting to consider a suburb. What is the commute from Houston to Huntsville/Conroe like? And, what would the commute be like for me into Houston if we lived in Conroe/Woodlands? Need some insight!! Thank you!!
My aunt/uncle live in Conroe off of I-45 and highway 242 and the drive into downtown Houston is just under 50 miles so it's definitely about an hour or so as noted by the previous poster. If you move to Montrose or Heights areas and go out to Conroe or Huntsville you will be going against the traffic if you commute during normal business hours (6a-6p).

The opposite trip from Conroe/Huntsville into Houston would be a tough commute unless you work off-peak hours such as a nurse/cop or other shift-worker. It really depends on how you all feel about a 100 mile roundtrip to and from work.

If you secure employment in downtown Houston and needed to commute during peak hours from Conroe into town I would suggest taking a park and ride bus instead driving into downtown from the north. There are Metro park and ride lots in Spring and Kuykendahl off of 45. Speaking of, you could also give consideration to the Spring and Woodlands areas which are just south of Conroe.

C.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:45 AM

1,290 posts, read 5,439,417 times
Check out 77379 on www.har.com It is sort of a good middle ground and it has some very nice neighborhoods. My wife takes the park and ride from the area to downtown and its about 45 minutes. It would be 45 minutes or so going up to Conroe as well. Area has good schools, good shopping, and its a more mature (trees/landscaping) area for a suburb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston