Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 04:10 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,536,642 times

Advertisements

I moved away from Houston in 1994. I'm a native Houstonian, born in Hermann Hospital, grew up first in a neighborhood off Navigation, then in Spring Branch. I've lived all over the world, but Houston is my home town, and I am strongly considering moving back. So for those of you who've lived there for these last 15 years or close to it, and especially for those of you long-timers, I'd appreciate your favoring me with your impressions on the following--

1. Traffic. Worse? how so? How is the rail system working? toll roads?
2. The environment for entrepreneurs...good, bad, indifferent?
3. The political scene. From the outside, it looks pretty wide open, with strong minority participation and the prospect of a lesbian mayor. Is that just window dressing, and things are still run by guys with 100 Club stickers on the back windshields of their cars?
4. The arts scene. I was a pretty avid symphony and opera-goer. How's the health of the arts generally?
5. As a younger adult, I tended to gravitate towards living in near-town, slightly raffish, artistic neighborhoods-- Montrose at first, then in the Heights or the area around Shepherd and W. Alabama. Has all of that become yuppified and priced out of sight? What would be my options today for a similar locale?

That's by no means an exclusive list. If you just want to say something about how Houston is different now from 1994, I'd appreciate that as well.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:03 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,461,525 times
I always get nervous when a person's sexual preference, is used as a reason to vote for them. I care nothing of a persons Sex, or even if they have sex at all. I just want the best Man for the Job.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:28 PM

569 posts, read 1,078,450 times
1) Highways:
a) I-10 is WAY better than it used to be as a result of the road expansion.
b) U.S. 290 has gotten progressively worse (not expanded).
c) U.S. 59 (particularly the "Eastex Frwy" which heads northeast towards Kingwood ) is said to be much better now after road expansion. U.S. 290 will likely be expanded in coming years (read: growing pains, a pain while it goes on which will be for years). The northwest side of town toward Cypress would not be a good choice to live in if you are to commute to the Galleria or downtown (downtown ok if taking Park & Ride bus to downtown).

Toll Roads: If you live in the suburbs, you'll eventually end up surrounded by toll roads. The Sam Houston toll road is the best for access to both airports. Hardy Toll Road is great to access Bush Intercontinental Airport if you don't want to deal with crowded I-45. The Westpark Toll Road is a two-lane (two lanes each way) road from 610 loop to Grand Parkway in Katy which is jam packed at rush hour. The tolls roads are not cheap. Good idea to get an EZTag even if you don't think you'll use the toll road much. You don't want to get caught in the long lines at the toll plaza. There's traffic at the toll plazas at rush hour, but at least on the EZTag lanes the traffic will move (slowly, but move).

Rail - the rail "system" from UH Downtown to Reliant Park benefits students and medical employees living and working and/or going to school in the area as well as tourists and locals unable/unwilling to park at Reliant Center to go to a special event. If living in downtown or medical center, the rail is good to go to midtown bars and museums. I've heard the rail doesn't run late enough for clubbing or special events (may want to check Metro website for yourself). If you don't live downtown/midtown/med center, then probably the rail won't do much good.

2 & 3 - don't know....

4) Arts - you'll love the Houston Symphony and Houston Grand Opera. The Houston Museum of Fine Arts covers at least 2 large buildings so I'm pretty sure it must have expanded since 1994. If you join the museum (AAA members get a discounted rate), not only you get free regular admission and discounted admission to special exhibits, but you will also have sneak previews and social/networking opportunities. Theater Under the Stars Theatre Under The Stars continues to offer the best in musical theater in the area.

5) Prices have risen in Montrose/Heights/Upper Kirby areas; however, in this forum folks often recommend finding individually owned rentals through Craigslist. Since 1994, Washington Avenue and Rice Military (not Rice Village, but the area between Memorial Drive and I-10 inside 610 Loop) has dramatically grown to become a desirable area. Lots of condos and townhomes have been build near Washington Avenue (not what it used to be back in '94). If anything, IMO they have overbuilt in the area. You might find a good deal if you're looking to buy. Otherwise, Craigslist is best for a good rental deal.

6) Other changes: Westchase used to be nice in 1994, now it isn't. Hurricane Katrina did not help since questionable New Orleans evacuees were allowed to come into our city...Sharpstown continues to be an undesirable area and if anything it's probably worse. Alief also has declined. Spring Branch north of I-10 in the Long Point area is also not the place to be. The Gulfton area continues to be an undesirable area. Inner Loop is "in". There is still bad apartments around the Reliant Stadium area. The Richmond strip is still around with bars and restaurants, but apparently midtown and Washington Avenue are more "in" now when it comes to the bar scene. Pockets of the Galleria area (Bering/Augusta areas north of Westheimer and south of Woodway) continue to be desirable areas to live in with easy access to Memorial Park and downtown and Galleria work centers. You can avoid a lot of the Galleria congestion if you live north of San Felipe avoid Westheimer at all costs. Nice, older but remodeled condos and townhomes are available at prices more reasonable than that found in the Inner Loop.

Just a few thoughts :-)...

Last edited by HTownNearNative; 11-17-2009 at 11:36 PM..

Old 11-18-2009, 07:38 AM

2,361 posts, read 2,536,642 times
Thanks, HTNN, that's precisely what I was looking for.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:42 AM

White Flight is over now, it's safe to come Home. We didn't all get our necks sliced in our sleep after all.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:43 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,490,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
White Flight is over now, it's safe to come Home. We didn't all get our necks sliced in our sleep after all.

LMAO!!! Reps for that.

It's true, many are braving it and coming back in...Beyond Thunderdome

Old 11-18-2009, 07:45 AM

PS- Prices have almost tripled for single family homes in the Inner Loop, Galleria/Uptown, and Memorial since 1994.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:55 AM

Many of us that rode it out, wish they would not come back. Prices are going through the ceiling, now that "everybody just has to live here. there is just so much character". ---then they move in, and right away start complaining about the corner Bar, or the Band that practices next door. this ain't the Burbs, get over your selves. Blend in, or move back to Katy.--there I said it.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:05 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,917,993 times
Thank you TSG...those are the folks that wreck an area.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
Many of us that rode it out, wish they would not come back. Prices are going through the ceiling, now that "everybody just has to live here. there is just so much character". ---then they move in, and right away start complaining about the corner Bar, or the Band that practices next door. this ain't the Burbs, get over your selves. Blend in, or move back to Katy.--there I said it.

I love it when they start biotching about all the apartment units down the road that share their precious public school.. News flash...the apartments have been here 40 years...you only 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston