Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 02:56 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,867,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayernSooner View Post
Midtown is definitely more than I'd like to pay. I was hoping to find something inside the beltway if possible. Obviously something affordable there would have undesireable aspects. I have looked some in the Humble/Kingwood area and have found a few decent places. What is the crime like in the neighborhoods themselves? Problems with HOA? What is the latest on the golf course, I can't find anything recent? I lived in the Greenwood Forest Apartments during my short stint in Houston and liked that area (though I could tell that it was surrounded by undesireable areas).

Ok then. How much monthly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 03:02 PM

6 posts, read 16,644 times
Basically I'd like to keep my rent/(mortgage+property tax+insurance) under 1300 per month.

Old 11-29-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Basically I'd like to keep my rent/(mortgage+property tax+insurance) under 1300 per month.
Yeah, then I would look for apartments in Spring/ The Woodlands.

Btw, are you from Bayern?

Old 11-30-2009, 08:45 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
You are talking about the Champions area. Large houses for the money. All decent HOAs are strict. Remember, we don't have zoning. HOAs are what keeps the neighborhoods nice.

I haven't heard what the latest on the old golf course is as of lately. Someone above wrote that the Inwood area is "iffy" - as good a word as any.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:47 PM

6 posts, read 16,644 times
I'm not from Bayern. My favorite soccer team is Bayern Munich. Thanks for all the input. I'll be down in a week to look at houses and I've started focusing more on areas outside the beltway after listening to comments here.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
I'm not from Bayern. My favorite soccer team is Bayern Munich. Thanks for all the input. I'll be down in a week to look at houses and I've started focusing more on areas outside the beltway after listening to comments here.

Mine too. Just gotta love soccer. I'm not from Bayern, either.

Well, I would be looking for an apartment. Just check the MLS listings. Maybe you can find something in that price range now.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:04 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,834,115 times
I think Inwood holds a lot of potential, but I don't think that potential is going to be realized in the very near future. The fate of the golf course is the wild card in the deck. If that ends up with something less desirable, it could further push Inwood into a greater state of decline. Inwood is not without it's merits, but at the end of the day I don't think it is in a very good spot on the neighborhood life cycle at this point in time. That could change for the better if the golf course issue is resolved in a more positive fashion.

I think you would be better served by either moving a little closer in, to someplace like Oak Forest, or farther out to one of the popular suburbs. With those two choices it comes down to the usual trade offs. Nice big house in the suburbs, but little appreciation & no night life worth a flip, or live close in convenient to everything with better appreciation, but in a crackerbox house.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:15 PM

3 posts, read 6,458 times
My partner and I purchased our home in Inwood Forest in August. We got a really great deal on the house and were able to renovate it the way we wanted. We probably would not be able to sell it right now and get all our money back but we're in it for the long run. Plus where else in Houston could we buy a great house with a 15 year mortgage for less than we were paying in rent?!?! So far we love it and couldn't be happier! How do you think the Heights, Montrose and other areas in Houston improved. Now we can't afford those areas even if we wanted to buy there! At least for the kind of space we have now. Great things are happening around Inwood Forest. Lone Star Community College is building a campus pratically at the entrance to the neighborhood. I just received an email today that Inwood Forest won the law suit!

We have friends that are buying in Inwood Forest, Oaks of Inwood, Candlelight Oaks and Forest West. The migration is happening. Young professionals are priced out of the loop including Oak Forest. I think we bought at the right time but only time will tell. Still beats renting and gaining nothing!

There are community organizations working to improve the area. If you live in the area you should consider joining. If you are thinking of moving to the area they can provide you with additional information:

www.GreaterInwoodPartnership.org
www.NWCorner.org

Last edited by newtoinwood; 12-21-2009 at 07:31 PM..

Old 03-02-2010, 10:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,792 times
BayernSooner - where did you decide to live? I used to golf at the club in Inwood and always thought that area had so much potential - btu really needed a developer to come in and take charge. Not sure individual buyers are gonna be able to drive it.

I currently live in Greenwood Forest ( Chanmpions Area ) and think there are few laces inthe city that are as well kept (HOA and Deed Restrictions) and proced so low for what you get. surrounding Sub-div are pretty nice as well 9 Champions, Huntwick, etc)

Old 03-04-2010, 08:35 AM

133 posts, read 480,779 times
Speaking of Inwood/Oak Forest, anyone have any opinions on the new city council rep, Brenda Stardig?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston