Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2009, 07:51 PM

16 posts, read 43,281 times

Advertisements

How bad does it flood in Glenbrook Valley? How often?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 10:01 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,833,187 times
It doesn't. With the exception of maybe 4 or 5 homes out of 1,260. About 15 years ago they redid Sims bayou and that eliminated it ever getting out of its banks. It didn't in Allison, it didn't in Ike. Now years ago, before they redid the bayou, yes, there was some flooding.

Glenbrook has some hills and valleys (very unusual in Houston obviously) and there are a couple of houses that have drainage issues because of this. It isn't water from the bayou, it is more water not being able to get to the bayou.

One spot is on Dover St. where there are maybe three houses that sit down in a "bowl." the houses behind them and across the street are a lot higher, so all the water goes to the lowest point. The adjacent houses (across the street and behind them) don't flood at all, but there is something like a 4' difference in the elevation.

There is one other spot, at the crux of Stony Dell and Glen Dell. (pic below) Some of the houses are one story but the back of the houses go down with garages underneath the house. There is one that sits in one of those weird spots and has flooded too many times so now FEMA just bought it out and is taking it down. There is one beside it that floods too. Again, it is just the couple of houses, the ones across the street(s) sit up on hills and do not flood.

This is the one that sits in basically a ravine, so yeah, it gets water. It is the one FEMA is taking down.

Right after Ike

Again, you are talking maybe 5 or 6 houses that are affected out of 1,260. (I guess it is about to be 4 or 5 since one is going away).

Old 12-04-2009, 03:52 PM

My other concern is that I can only spend around $110, therefore I will be south of Bellfort. I love the neighborhood in general, but that part looks pretty bad.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenakitty View Post
My other concern is that I can only spend around $110, therefore I will be south of Bellfort. I love the neighborhood in general, but that part looks pretty bad.
well, yes and no. The southeast section (7900 blks of the east-west streets) really needs some help. The southwest section has some parts that look just fine, and others not so much. Unfortunately the first few houses at the entrances on Dover and Glenloch are rentals and look like it.

The section just west of Lewis elementary looks good, and Cayton is a good street. There are several blocks that look good but unfortunately some that eh, not so much. That section is just now starting to do better. The other place you might look is in Meadowbrook freeway, (commonly referred to as "new Meadowbrook"). The curb appeal is pretty good and you can usually find something for $110k in there. I just did a deal for a well-known Architect in there, moving from upper Kirby, that she got for under $100k with a pool.

Of course if you want to live within a 10 minute (or so) radius of downtown in the low $100's, you will probably have to embrace some level of transitional neighborhood ick factor. The sections of Westbury that are in that price range have it, there is some of that south of Bellfort in Glenbrook, and certainly if you go into places like Broadmoor, Lawndale, Washington Terrace, etc., you get it in much larger doses.

If you come across something north of Bellfort in Glenbrook that is a foreclosure or short sale, you could always throw in a low offer and see what happens. All they can do is say no.

Last edited by modster; 12-04-2009 at 07:27 PM..

Old 12-04-2009, 07:34 PM

2 posts, read 9,857 times
Default South side of Bellfort

My husband and I moved into a fabulous house on the South side of Bellfort and we love our neighbors and the atmosphere! We live in the 7700 block of Glenbrae and are surrounded by families, original owners, and young professionals buying their starter homes as well. I jokingly call it the "poor side" as compared to the sections to the North, but the houses are actually just the right size, as are the lots. The neighborhood is extremely active with civic club and other pursuits. We moved down from Ohio, not knowing anything about the neighborhood and we are SO glad we landed in Glenbrook Valley!! Don't let the surrounding areas scare you away...once you actually go back into the streets around Lewis, etc...it looks much less scary.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:11 PM

I know, I still can't make up my mind about Westbury either. You can see that it's coming up and Glenbrook looks like it has much further to go. They need to put some nightlife out there!

Old 12-04-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
I know, I still can't make up my mind about Westbury either. You can see that it's coming up and Glenbrook looks like it has much further to go.
I wouldn't argue that point at all. It just comes down to where on the gentrification wave do you want to jump in? Obviously there are different advantages and disadvantages on where you catch the wave. I don't think I would rule either area out and just keep looking and if a house in either place jumps out as "the one" then that would probably make the decision for you.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
I know, I still can't make up my mind about Westbury either. You can see that it's coming up and Glenbrook looks like it has much further to go. They need to put some nightlife out there!
Oh now, on that we're covered. So many of us have huge party rooms and it is just a "known" that you better keep wine on hand at all times around here. We don't have official wine bars, but we have created a few of our own. Trust me, you have NO idea.

As for going out downtown, midtown, Montrose, etc. it is definitely a lot closer in from here.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:40 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,671,817 times
LOL, that is cool Modster

Old 12-05-2009, 12:52 PM

2 posts, read 9,857 times
Yeah, we definitely create our own nightlife down here! I have two "just in case" bottles of champagne in my fridge right now and was invited to dinner by two different neighbors last night. We're also such a short drive to downtown/Montrose that I've never noticed a lack of nightlife. We entertain ourselves quite nicely.

We're also so convenient to UH that faculty members are really starting to move down here. That was our main criteria when moving from out of state. My husband wanted an easy commute...and it doesn't get much easier than he has (with the exception of Eastwood, etc...but any houses we could afford there were in terrible condition...and I honestly didn't feel nearly as safe over there as I do down here). Go figure... I'm sure others would argue, but that's just my opinion as a female who somewhat worries about these things. I've been in law enforcement too long not to listen to my instincts.

As mentioned by Modster...it's all going to depend on THE house. We happened to find THE house in Glenbrook during our three day trip to Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston