Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 09:45 AM

2,628 posts, read 8,834,115 times

Advertisements

I have seen two different extremes on here.

An agent who pops on here, digs up an old dead thread and adds nothing to the conversation beyond "call me I can help you" kind of thing, yes, that can be annoying. I think that is pretty rare though.

The other extreme which is more common and annoying are those with vitriolic attitudes towards ALL Realtors in general. Certainly there are some that don't really contribute to the discussion, but there are plenty more on here that provide a lot of different insights. In fact, if you deleted the information provided on this site by all the people involved in real estate the site would definitely be the worse for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 10:35 AM

1,288 posts, read 4,938,024 times
I don't think anyone is saying realtors shouldn't be allowed to post. Some contribute very valuable information. I think realtors are great and very helpful when you're buying a house. But it's the blatant trolling for business that is annoying...always saying call me or even just "make sure you call a Realtor first".

Old 12-19-2009, 11:33 AM

2,628 posts, read 8,834,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhubbell View Post
I don't think anyone is saying realtors shouldn't be allowed to post. Some contribute very valuable information. I think realtors are great and very helpful when you're buying a house. But it's the blatant trolling for business that is annoying...always saying call me or even just "make sure you call a Realtor first".
True that can be annoying, but so is some of the other attitudes that are tossed at the Realtors when they are NOT trolling for business.

I once had some idiot say "beware" of my advice on Lindale Park and Eastwood because I "frequently listed houses there" so it was "self serving." Um, no. I don't list in either that damn frequent number one, number two I had NO listings in those areas at the time, so it wasn't like I had a horse in that race so to speak. I try to speak to areas I actually know something about, something that quite frankly I wish a few more people would stick to. I just happen to know about those places and they are some of many I have done business in. It is way more annoying to me to have your legitimate, knowledgeable comments called suspect just because you have a real estate license.

So I guess we all get to have our petty annoyances.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:46 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,762,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
True that can be annoying, but so is some of the other attitudes that are tossed at the Realtors when they are NOT trolling for business.

I once had some idiot say "beware" of my advice on Lindale Park and Eastwood because I "frequently listed houses there" so it was "self serving." Um, no. I don't list in either that damn frequent number one, number two I had NO listings in those areas at the time, so it wasn't like I had a horse in that race so to speak. I try to speak to areas I actually know something about, something that quite frankly I wish a few more people would stick to. I just happen to know about those places and they are some of many I have done business in. It is way more annoying to me to have your legitimate, knowledgeable comments called suspect just because you have a real estate license.

So I guess we all get to have our petty annoyances.
BINGO! It's like if you don't agree with an area someone do business or live in then "it's not a good place to live" LOL....

Old 12-19-2009, 12:43 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
It was also when I was brand new to this forum - and didn't really understand the PMing. I have posted about 215 times - you had to go back quite aways to even pick that one up.
Not at all...which is why I remembered it. 19 days ago according to the date it was posted.

Modster, I didn't even realize you were a realtor! Which is the way it should be.

Last edited by ShelbyGirl1; 12-19-2009 at 12:51 PM..

Old 12-19-2009, 01:44 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,938,024 times
Bingo, I didn't even know modster was a realtor! That's a good sign.

I know people think I'm a Cinco homer...which I guess I am because I love it! I don't think everyone should live here but it's what I know the most about so I share a lot about it. I'm also pretty familiar with the parts of Sugarland where we did some househunting and Memorial where my grandparents have lived for 60 years. I just don't know much about other areas of the city or suburbs to be able to recommend them to people. I've lived here a year plus now, and I get around a lot so I imagine it won't be long till I've learned a lot.

Old 12-19-2009, 01:48 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,762,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhubbell View Post
I know people think I'm a Cinco homer...which I guess I am because I love it!
Cinco is a great place to live, nothing wrong with being a Cinco homer...just take a little of the top

Old 12-19-2009, 10:21 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
Realtor? What Realtors? I thought most of them all went back to their old professions and trades since no one is buying homes anymore.

There were more then a few threads started here by a newby who simply asked if anyone knew a good Realtor to recommend. I remember making comments that I bet that askers INBOX was so full the next morning by Realtors begging for business.

In the home and interior design forums we get quite a lot of contractors reviving a thread that has Dinosaur foot prints on it. It's funny when you see the post started by some one in California and a SPAMMER comes on with his one and only post who is in Florida and he shouts out loud that he would be happy to come over to give an estimate. It never entered his mind that the question asker might not be in his town.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:36 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,828,505 times
There is a real art to self-promotion that increases business rather than detracts from it. Contributing knowledge and offering suggestions without any direct solicitation enhances credibility and is more likely to result in prospective customers contacting a Realtor. To me, the direct appeals just make the Realtor look like a newbie.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:39 AM

1,668 posts, read 4,707,915 times
I agree with Topaz.

City Data tells Realtors to label "Real Estate Agent" under their username. IMO, that actually helps Agents attract new clients. Ex: If you like a Realtors posts on C-D and you're in need of a Realtor.....well, you'll possibly contact that agent. Agents have to know this & some are banking on it. If an Agent wasn't looking for customers on C-D, then they probably wouldn't acknowledge being a Realtor in the first place. If I was an agent, I'd possibly do the same thing as the agents on this forum. Nobody is breaking the rules, so it's a fair game.

Personally, I haven't noticed heavy trolling & nothing has offended me. For the most part, agents offer good information.......BUT they probably give this advice in hopes of attracting buisness. It's a fact that Realtors here are very quick to answer an OP looking for a home. But hey, C-D allows agents to identify their profession & post on the forum....so it's hard to blame an Agent who is following the TOS. They're just trying to pay the bills too, and this forum is a good way to acquire clients.

What if C-D added some rules for agents like below, would this change anything?

1) Realtors can NOT identify their profession.
2) Realtors can't list any contact info in their Profile or PM's.
3) Realtors can't say "yes, I'm a Realtor" even if asked via PM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston