Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 12:40 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,148,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Unless you value your friends who moved there and you are willing to drive 30 minutes to visit them!

Yes, it is, and I would give up but then newcomers would just get the one-sided "Inner Loop" advocacy.
Mmm...I value my sanity. That just speaks for me, but one of the most unpleasant things about Houston for me is driving. I love my friends, but I signed up for the Inner Loop, because that's exactly what I wanted to avoid. I think you get my reasoning, Topaz. This city might mind some more Inner Loop advocacy (not superiority), it's desperately been trying to tip the urban development scale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 01:30 AM

128 posts, read 273,513 times
Someone mentioned Greatwood. I know there are some newer sections in greatwood with houses built in the past few years that go in the 200s. They're not as big as some Greatwood houses, but it's not like you need a full thousand square feet per family member. Someone from the northeast would laugh if you called it too small. Besides, Greatwood is right on 59, across the highway from a lot of new shopping and within 10 mins of all the stuff in First Colony.

There are also some lesser-known developments near Greatwood, such as Canyon Gate and River Park that have newer, cheaper, but not smaller, houses that are still within a minute or two of the highway. Those neighborhoods aren't quite as pretty as Greatwood, but the cost per square foot is less.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:16 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,828,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveArmy View Post
Steve, I'm not sure of your point. It is no secret that my commute isn't good because I work too far off the main commute corridor to have as many options as the Sugar Landers who commute to downtown or the Galleria area.

As long as the OP doesn't plan to work at UH main campus, their commute will be better than mine!

Old 01-06-2010, 05:20 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,828,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Mmm...I value my sanity. That just speaks for me, but one of the most unpleasant things about Houston for me is driving. I love my friends, but I signed up for the Inner Loop, because that's exactly what I wanted to avoid. I think you get my reasoning, Topaz. This city might mind some more Inner Loop advocacy (not superiority), it's desperately been trying to tip the urban development scale.
I would hope that if you were my friend, it wouldn't make you insane to drive to Sugar Land once in awhile for dinner!

Old 01-06-2010, 05:58 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Quote:
I would hope that if you were my friend, it wouldn't make you insane to drive to Sugar Land once in awhile for dinner!

This is so OT: But I've been through this. We travelled about once a month meet the fist six months...then about once every three months. Now it's like twice a year and they come into town.

Honestly, unless they are your bestest friends ever, it becomes like a long distance relationship over time. When an idea to go to dinner pops in your head, it's going to be with some one pretty close in mind.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:47 AM

1,288 posts, read 4,938,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
This is so OT: But I've been through this. We travelled about once a month meet the fist six months...then about once every three months. Now it's like twice a year and they come into town.

Honestly, unless they are your bestest friends ever, it becomes like a long distance relationship over time. When an idea to go to dinner pops in your head, it's going to be with some one pretty close in mind.
For me, that comes more with stage of life differences than distance. In my stage of life, with young kids, and two working parents that travel for business a fair amount, it is SO hard to plan to meet friends for dinner...ever! We've been trying to find a date to just have our pastor's family over for dinner for nearly two months and there's always something in the way, the most common thing being a family member with a bad cold. When we moved 30 miles closer to Philadelphia after we had our first child, we almost never saw our best friends anymore. But it wasn't the distance...it was the dramatic lifestyle difference between us and they who were perpetual dinks. On the other hand friends of ours that weren't as intimate got together with us a lot more because we had kids in common and the distance wasn't really that much.

I'm enjoying my kids while they are young, but I also look forward to them being old enough that I can leave them at home and enjoy adult conversation over a meal with friends more than once a month.

I suppose some people hate being in the car for any length of time. 30-45 minutes drive time doesn't even make me blink. Philly is a big city too, I was used to driving (on much worse roads) before I ever moved here.

Oh yeah and Topaz has an awful commute to UH but the OP was only going to the Galleria.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:27 AM

1,474 posts, read 4,997,680 times
Quote:
Steve, I'm not sure of your point. It is no secret that my commute isn't good because I work too far off the main commute corridor to have as many options as the Sugar Landers who commute to downtown or the Galleria area.

As long as the OP doesn't plan to work at UH main campus, their commute will be better than mine!
Well you did not plan well I guess. In fact you can't if youre set to move to a far end corner of Houston. I do have plenty of coworkers from SG that carpool to downtown. one of them actually picked up an illegal at homedepot thinking he's a car pooler lol. I know a few who carpool to greenway plaza. Carpooling is so unamerican and so third world to me. In anycase since the job market is pretty good here in Houston, that and hurricanes, mergers, terminated lease etc would eventually cause everyone to move their offices. I suggest do not rush into exburb living especially if your from out of town and have no school age kids.
I have about 1-2 more years to go here in the Alief. I dread the day we have to start looking outwards to Katy BUT thats how the ball bounces. I'll just suck it up then. Atleast the westpark tollway will be there

Old 01-06-2010, 09:21 AM

29 posts, read 99,858 times
Pearland

Old 01-11-2010, 10:16 PM

734 posts, read 1,080,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post

I agree to this... with distance people tend to drift apart. All the friends I have at UH that live on campus I only tend to see ONLY when I visit campus. Things tend to be more spontaneous and generally easier when there isn't 20 miles standing between people.

To the OP

Sugar Land would not be the greatest decision... unless you want to make a 45 min. commute during Rush Hour to the galleria.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,463 times
Blackgold, have you found anything yet? By any chance will you be working at the Marathon Tower? I am essentially in the same situation and I think that I am going to rent something decent first and wait before buying. I have had so many friends in the last 5 years buy houses in the Houston area when they got a job and now regret not looking around more first.
I am considering Katy, even though the commute is a bit longer- but I think I would feel better having my wife and daughter in a safer area. Or am I just falling for the "Katy hype"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston