Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2010, 08:40 PM

53 posts, read 128,924 times

Advertisements

Since St. Laurence only goes up to middle school and it doesn't appear that there are any Catholic schools in Sugar Land, do 9th graders go to Pope John XXIII high school in Katy or do they go to a public high school?

Is it an easy transition for the students to go from Catholic to public school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 09:46 PM

867 posts, read 2,977,845 times
Considering how St. Laurence is literally down the street from Clements HS, a public, albeit still exceptional HS, I don't see how that would be a problem. As a product of the local FBISD schools (my parents house is a football throw away from St. Laurence, actually), I really don't think you have much to worry about.

If St. Laurence was off of Fondren, then, yes, I would be concerned.

I'm assuming you live in the FC area and are zoned to a FBISD like Clements, Austin, or Dulles. If that's the case, I would imagine that one thing that could take getting used to is the diverse ethnic/racial make-up of those schools. For instance, I went to Clements, and there is a heavy Indian/Pakistani/Chinese population that goes there. They're good people though and have a lot to with the school's achievement academically as most of them take academics seriously. I can't recall of anyone I went to CHS with that went to St. Laurence, but I know of tons of people who attended church there.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:50 PM

232 posts, read 701,384 times
Friends of mine have sent their kids to Strake Jesuit, St. Agnes, St. John's or any of the numerous college prep schools in town. Others have just sent their kids to Clements HS. They seem to adjust just fine.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:59 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,125,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marklbucla View Post
Since St. Laurence only goes up to middle school and it doesn't appear that there are any Catholic schools in Sugar Land, do 9th graders go to Pope John XXIII high school in Katy or do they go to a public high school?

Is it an easy transition for the students to go from Catholic to public school?
A lot of our fellow parishoners sent their children to St. Laurence and then on to Strake & St. Agnes for high school.

I'd be interested to hear about the transition from Catholic to public high school...I was in Catholic school from nursery through hs so I never experienced that transition. But maybe that's for another forum.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:24 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
A lot of our fellow parishoners sent their children to St. Laurence and then on to Strake & St. Agnes for high school.

I'd be interested to hear about the transition from Catholic to public high school...I was in Catholic school from nursery through hs so I never experienced that transition. But maybe that's for another forum.

Many from St. Laurence end up at Strake or St. Agnus, like said above. Scholastically they will probably be more than prepared for public school. Socially, it's going to be a bit of a shock. I would just take your child's personality into consideration.

I did the reverse, going from public system into private High School. I found it a relief. There was still some social petty junk, but the serious bullying and rough kids weren't there.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:56 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,828,505 times
I attended private school from pre-K to the end of middle school and then I started 9th grade at the local public high school. The most difficult thing was that all the other kids had gone to school together for years and years and I didn't know anyone. My personality then was such that it didn't bother me too much...I just focused on academics and I ended up being in student government and being the editor of the school newspaper, which helped, but in hindsight, it would have been nice to know at least one other kid. If I were ever in that situation with my own children, I would try to get them involved in sports or a church group or something where they would meet kids from the new school prior to enrolling.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:47 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,289,966 times
We have friends at Strake that attended St lawrence. That seems to be the next step.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:36 PM

49 posts, read 125,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
The most difficult thing was that all the other kids had gone to school together for years and years
Not always given the new schools and rezoning that has occurred within FBISD within the past 10 years.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:31 PM

734 posts, read 1,080,892 times
Let me tell you as a person that has seen people come from private school into a public school, it is a huge burden on the child because the mentality, environment, standards, and expectations are completely different. There will be a HUGE learning curve of the way things work in a large, diverse, public school.
On top of the new system, your child will be the "new kid" in school. And depending on how your child is personality wise, this can be a very depressing experience. I remember when I moved here from California, I tended to just talk all class and mess around in Fort Settlement middle school, and so it was not a big deal for me to fit in(although my schoolin wasn't all that great!) but in a private school things tend to be much more structured and strict. High school can be a great experience or a very bad one, depends on the environment and the personality of the child.

But if you do what West Res is suggesting by moving your child along with other people from the same middle school, then maybe your child will have some people they know and wont be as lonely.

Good luck...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: