Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 03:59 PM

912 posts, read 2,557,411 times

Advertisements

Hidden hotspots? One sniff of a Porsche and Rolex and the hot spots are splayed wide open for the plundering.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:09 PM

1,211 posts, read 3,558,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunn View Post
Hidden hotspots? One sniff of a Porsche and Rolex and the hot spots are splayed wide open for the plundering.
So, your 914 burns oil?

Old 02-04-2010, 04:17 PM

789 posts, read 1,528,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunn View Post
What about a Audi and a Pulsar? Think I can get something with that Grunn?

Also, lol he calls it plundering. I wonder how the women feel knowing they are with such a winner. Grunn, you so craazzy.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:38 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,188,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
I've put up a YouTube channel now. And for starters, I've got two videos that I took driving around Rice Village and walking around downtown...to illustrate that Houston does indeed have pedestrianism of varying degrees.

I get tired of semantics.

So I now say, videos speak volumes:
http://www.youtube.com/user/worldlyman1996#g/a

There are those negative nellies who endlessly rant on how Houston lacks this or lacks that compared to other cities. Houston is "not lively" and yada yada. Well, from what I captured, that's not true at all.

Yeah, Miami is a fun city that has a lot of good stuff BUT it lacks a good live music scene also but do they ever rain on its parade? I wonder why Houston is always mostly the one singled out for negative appraisal. Houston is pointed out for being flat, but that's not held against Miami, Chicago or NY.

But we see proof that Houston is an unconventional big city that is a big mix of different types of entertainment and pedestrian districts/zones. That is the appeal of H-town. If you want a high density San Francisco or Chicago...just move there, I say. Our city outsprawls both of them put together, so that is the essential nature of our beast.

As I get a chance, I'll upload and edit more videos as I have time to meander around town.

My Kodak C-160, for its capability, takes pretty good .MOV vids that look really well on YouTube...however, cut and paste .MOV vids that last almost 10 minutes...get half chopped off in the final upload. But I've found an encoding technique that makes for decent YouTube viewing. CyberLink Power Director is a wonderful thing.
OK don't get me wrong I love Houston and the more I live here and the more I learn about the city, the more I realize how underrated the town is BUT the shot of downtown is not very lively ESPECIALLY for a Saturday night. Not to say there aren't some lively parts of Houston or that there aren't things going on downtown, but I've driven through downtown many times after dark and I wouldn't consider it "lively" nor does your video prove other wise. If you want to see a lively downtown, take a trip to Austin, San Antonio, or New Orleans, then maybe you'll understand why people say downtown is "dead" at night.

Last edited by wpmeads; 02-04-2010 at 04:56 PM..

Old 02-04-2010, 04:50 PM

912 posts, read 2,557,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCH99 View Post
So, your 914 burns oil?
914s are a great piece of Porsche history, were I in the market for a classic old mid engined Porsche I'd go for the 914/6 however. I've seen them in action in historic Grand Prix in places like Pau, Macau and Monaco and am therefore a big fan.

Sadly most of the classic cars I see here in Houston are shot, used up pieces of crap. Probably not Concours d'Elegance contenders.

I went for a simple 997S in a tasteful spec, none of these vile creme/caramel coloured interiors that septics seem to be fond of.

As for going fishing for hoes with a pulsar and and an audi I think you're likely to end up with the bottom feeders.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:57 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,148,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
OK don't get me wrong I love Houston and the more I live here and the more I learn about the city, the more I realize how underrated the town is BUT the shot of downtown is not very lively ESPECIALLY for a Saturday night. Not to say there aren't some lively parts of Houston or that there aren't things going on downtown, but I've driven through downtown many times after dark and I wouldn't consider it "lively" nor does your video prove other wise. If you want to see a lively downtown, take a trip to Austin, San Antonio, or New Orleans, then maybe you'll understand what people say downtown is "dead" at night.
Yeah, I agree with you that the video doesn't do much justice. A bunch of cars in parking lot doesn't make the streets lively, it might make the inside of the establishments those people are in lively.

Then again, a lively downtown in Houston means much less than it does in other cities, because this city has several centers, and that's just the way this city is. Perhaps that was a poor infrastructure choice, but you gotta work with what you got and getting these centers connected should be priority. I'm guessing we should just tear down or uproot Uptown and Greenway Plaza, Washington St and move them downtown. It's not a bad idea.

Honestly, I'm in Boston now and I'm kinda over this whole lively thing. I'm more interested in being able to enjoy the things I want to enjoy and getting paid. If I want to get "excited," I'll just call my boyfriend.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Yeah, I agree with you that the video doesn't do much justice. A bunch of cars in parking lot doesn't make the streets lively, it might make the inside of the establishments those people are in lively. A lively downtown in Houston means much less than it does in other cities, because this city has several centers. Perhaps that was a poor infrastructure choice, but you gotta work with what you got and getting these centers connected should be priority. Honestly, I'm in Boston now and I'm kinda over this whole lively thing. If I want to get "excited" I'll just call my boyfriend.
Well when it comes to be cities, I'm more use to Austin where just on one street, you have 2 mile stretch of nothing but bars, clubs and restaurants downtown, not to mentions, all the other hot spots downtown and SoCo as well. To me, it really matters more who your hanging out with than where. As long as I have good friends to hang out with on a Saturday night, I'm continent with any city really.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:20 PM

789 posts, read 1,528,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Well when it comes to be cities, I'm more use to Austin where just on one street, you have 2 mile stretch of nothing but bars, clubs and restaurants downtown, not to mentions, all the other hot spots downtown and SoCo as well. To me, it really matters more who your hanging out with than where. As long as I have good friends to hang out with on a Saturday night, I'm continent with any city really.
^ This is my point to everyone I ever talk to. What really matters are the people you hang out with. I absolutely love New Orleans and the way it has a street and surrounding area full of "night life". But, I am going to be talking and joking around with the people I am with, rather than counting the amount of people walking outside. I am a big people watcher, but honestly when I get into a big conversation with the people I am with I usually forget all about what's going on elsewhere. I mean yes Houston doesn't have many people walking outside, but all depending on the places you're are, the inside is pretty lively and social.

I agree with Sublime also. If I wanted to get "lively", I would call someone haha.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Then again, a lively downtown in Houston means much less than it does in other cities, because this city has several centers, and that's just the way this city is. Perhaps that was a poor infrastructure choice, but you gotta work with what you got and getting these centers connected should be priority. I'm guessing we should just tear down or uproot Uptown and Greenway Plaza, Washington St and move them downtown. It's not a bad idea.
I think free zoning has a lot to do with why the nightlife and the city centers are so spread out.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:43 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveArmy View Post
sheesh nothing here feels like NYC. saying something like that always triggers the pfft houston comments, which houston promoters see as 'bashing' houston. pfft
oh btw Manhattan has a few elevation changes in the streets. just want to point that out
Yeah but who cares ... it's not Manhattan, it's Houston .... it is supposed to be different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston