Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2010, 11:27 AM

29 posts, read 39,907 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have taken early retirement and are considering a move from the Boston area to Houston. We're well aware of the heat, humidity, and crime downsides, but we are willing to tolerate those things for access to theater, opera, art museums, continuing ed classes, and an international airport.

Any suggestions on a neighborhood where we can buy a townhouse, easily visit museums, and walk to restaurants? The Museum District is an obvious choice, but are there others?

Any opinions on living in the Museum District, and can we get something there in the under-$350K range?

Also, as New Englanders who don't need or have air conditioning, we are interested in the most energy efficient ways to cool a house in Houston. Any suggestions on what we should look for in energy features?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 12:59 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,657,741 times
Museum district is the only place where you can actually walk to a museum. Houston is not anywhere near as walkable as Boston is. Your car will be your lifeline.

Museum district is kind of pricey as far as housing goes, I believe.

One thing to note is that the museums worth seeing in Houston are in the Museum district and the theater and opera are downtown. Not walkable unless you want to be walking for a few hours.

You could look into Midtown.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:27 PM

460 posts, read 2,427,700 times
Default Not many choices on energy efficiency...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calixto View Post
...Also, as New Englanders who don't need or have air conditioning, we are interested in the most energy efficient ways to cool a house in Houston. Any suggestions on what we should look for in energy features?
at least few that are cost effective today. Make sure you have lots and lots of insulation, good vinyl windows with low-e features, and avoid walls that catch the afternoon sun from the West. If you can get 6" walls, all the better. On new builds they will foam the holes the wires go through. On older builds you may want to do this after you move in. Some people do it along with adding or replacing insulation.

We just closed on a new single family home in Spring, and one of the key criteria in lot selection was to have the house facing West so the backyard was shaded in the evening.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:40 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
$350k will work Midtown. Even in the Museum District periodically (they pop up every once in a while).

Be sure and have ceiling fans in almost all the rooms. Double-paned windows, if possible. I have enough clients that swear by the radiant barrier in the attic, to the point I am going to install it in my home. I don't know what your timeline is, but for a while longer there is a tax credit for it.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:59 PM

235 posts, read 803,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glorplaxy View Post
One thing to note is that the museums worth seeing in Houston are in the Museum district and the theater and opera are downtown. Not walkable unless you want to be walking for a few hours.

You could look into Midtown.
The rail goes right into down from the museum district so that shouldn't be an issue. Drops you off right close to the theater district.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:23 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
Energy efficiency would be first get a $40 digital programmable thermostat and program it on a curve. Also look for an AC unit that has a high SEER rating. R-410-A freon is environmentally friendly and feels colder than the old R-12, from my experience anyway. You'll want to get the smallest unit (in BTU/tons) you can get away with and keep it running the majority of the day. This will use less energy overall and keep your house dry. Infinitely variable speed blower motors in the furnace will help save a little energy, but the motor technology is expensive so I don't think they are cost effective (yet). Keep the ceiling fans running through the day to spread the cold/dry air throughout the rooms. Using CFL bulbs produce less heat, too, which saves on both lighting and cooling but you'll want to mix a few standard bulbs in there to keep a good color quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: