Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2007, 08:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,804 times

Advertisements

Hello, I’m 14yo and moving with my family to Houston. Currently there is a discussion between my parent and me + my sister about where to live. They prefer The Woodlands, we instead are making “lobby” for Piney Point Village. Economically we afford to live in both places without any difficulty, but we (me & my sister) consider Woodlands to be extremely far away from everything interesting and veryyyy boring. I have red a lot of information about Woodlands on this forum, but nothing about Piney Point; all the arguments to persuade our parents we have found them on wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piney_Point_Village), so please give as more info about the place. The criteria that our parents value are: quality of neighborhood (safety, green space, beauty, quality of the houses…) and quality of the people (no illegal immigrant or criminals, gangs, etc). Schools does not matter because we go to a private one anyway, no matter if we are going to live in Piney or Woodlands.
PS: If it is important we are not Americans, but Brazilians from Sao Paulo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2007, 12:43 PM

404 posts, read 1,245,721 times
Default Kid need help with information about Houston

Well, I don't know much about Piney Point Village except that I hear it's a nice area and of course closer to all the big city amenities but you might really, really like The Woodlands, too. Tons of teenagers running around everywhere with minimal supervision. I see them out at night on rollerblades and scooters having a blast. Lots of parks, area pools, hike and bike trails, skateboard parks and if you like *hanging out* I guess the mall is really nice too so you might have quite a lot of freedom if you come this way. Another thing I recently read is that there are more and more families also moving to this area from South America which might be a plus for those times when you might want to hook up with others from Sao Paulo or surrounding areas.

My nieces and nephews (your age) love it out here when they visit (they're city kids from Houston) and tell me they're bored at home and pretty much all they do is go to Friday Night Live or the Galleria on the weekends. Once in awhile they hit the trails at Memorial Park or go to the Natural Science Museum but not on a regular basis. They liked the zoo when they were little but even that gets a little old after awhile. They do have very supervised lives. One thing about being closer in is the shorter drive to Galveston but I still go frequently even though I'm no longer living in town.

What is it that has you gravitating toward the Piney Point area?...just curious. I'm sure there's probably lots of pros about that area also. Think it's great your parents have included you both in the discussions, it's a biggie.

Old 04-21-2007, 03:52 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,847,219 times
I used to live right by Piney Point. Very nice, exclusive area. Much smaller than the Woodlands. The Woodlands is far out from Houston, and is basically it's own little city with a mall, entertainment center, etc. Piney Point, of course, will have much easier access to Houston's amenities. The property values probably go up faster there too.

It comes down to: Do you want to live in Houston (in a very nice neighborhood), or do you want to live in a suburb city of Houston.

Old 04-21-2007, 09:13 PM

627 posts, read 1,622,697 times
What about jobs? What do your parents do and do your parents have to commute to downton Houston for jobs?

Old 04-21-2007, 09:40 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,447,652 times
If you can afford to live in Piney Point - you should live in Piney Point.

Old 06-02-2007, 01:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,679 times
Hi, I moved to Houston from California-Los Angeles about a year ago, not to mentioned it's the Best City! By the way I'm Brazilian from Sao Paulo, and I promote Brazilian Events here in Houston, keep update so I can inform you where to hang out with Brazilians!
From where are you moving from?

Old 06-02-2007, 06:27 AM

37 posts, read 207,253 times
We live in the Memorial area also. If you can afford to be in Piney Point, then I'd purchase a home there rather than the Wooodlands. The Woodlands is nice but very far from the Galleria and the inner loop activities, both of which my teenager likes to do. The Woodlands is very very nice but is about 45 min. away from this part of town. Commuting is a big hassle with traffic. (put it this way, we NEVER go to the Woodlands, we've only been there 2x for the golf tournament). Memorial High School is a great high school and the feeder schools are top notch. I also think that the property values in Piney Point would also improve at a higher rate than the Woodlands. You also should consider Hedwig Village and Hunter's Creek Village. They are part of the same villages that Piney Point is in and you really don't know where one starts and the other ends. Bunker Hill Village is also good. If you do a search, anything south of I-10 in the 77024 zip code is premier (ranging from Gessner to 610 Loop).

Piney Point, along with the rest of the villages I mentioned, is one of Houston's top areas, along with River Oaks and West University. It has homes from the 1950/1060's to new construction. The homes have large wooded lots, extremely good security (the villages have their own police force) and outstanding schools. It also is "closer in" which is a big deal to Houstonians.

There are good private schools nearby to the villages, namely Duchene (all girls catholic), The Kinkaid school (k-12) and the Awty International school.

Last edited by larice; 06-02-2007 at 06:29 AM.. Reason: add comments
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston