Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you take your shoes off when you enter your home?
I take them off and go barefoot (or in socks) 71 59.17%
I take them off and put on slippers 32 26.67%
I don't take them off 17 14.17%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 06:48 PM

784 posts, read 3,121,358 times

Advertisements

My students, who are all international, wonder why Americans don't take off their shoes when they enter a home, because most of them do. I said it is because we don't want to get our feet dirty. They said they take theirs off because they don't want to get their house dirty--so cleanliness is the same reason for all of us, just cleanliness of different things.

So that set me thinking, is that really why we don't take our shoes off and do more people than I realize take their shoes off? And if you do take them off, would you take them off when viewing a home for sale?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 06:55 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,738,039 times
I picked this up after living in Asia and now I find it rather disgusting when I visit friends houses and they have all carpet and everyone wears their shoes in the house all the time.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:56 PM

144 posts, read 594,882 times
My house my rules, a home is meant to be lived in.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:58 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,216,670 times
We do in my house, but I respect other folks practices in their own house. I usually have "indoor" shoes and outdoor shoes.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:01 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,618,395 times
Quote:
I picked this up after living in Asia and now I find it rather disgusting when I visit friends houses and they have all carpet and everyone wears their shoes in the house all the time.
Same here, I was in China and they do this also.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:02 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
You know those wear patterns you get in heavy walk areas on your carpet? Won't happen if you don't wear shoes. And when you wear shoes in your house - you are basically using your entire carpet as a doormat and tracking in everything you have walked with those shoes (and for those with allergies - even more outdoor allergens).

Old 02-27-2010, 07:18 PM

1,474 posts, read 4,997,680 times
This is one of the reasons I do my own basic electrical, plumbing, cabling, hooking up the alarm etc. we hate technicians with dirty boots. everyone else has to remove their shoes.
shoe soles may also have some rocks that would damage wood floors

Old 02-27-2010, 08:29 PM

172 posts, read 785,573 times
I've grown up in Minnesota, and was taught it was rude to wear shoes inside the home. At our home we never wear our shoes past the foyer, I think it's incredibly gross (hundreds of thousands of microorganisms) but do know a lot of people who wear them in their house, ALL the time. I understand it being your "home" and your living space, but get a nasty intestinal bug one time from c-dificile, and you'll never wear shoes again inside your house

Also being in Real Estate, it IRKS me when I see the home shows on tv where all the people wear their filthy shoes inside the houses...

Old 02-27-2010, 08:49 PM

497 posts, read 1,485,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
Ditto.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:02 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Absolutely! I take off my shoes. I have a very light colored carpet and nice rugs. I don't want all the outside dirt in my home. I have inside shoes (slippers) just by the door.
When I have people come to visit, I ask them to use door mat, but I do not expect then to walk around with their socks. No one will get dirty feet in my house!
When I visit other people house I make sure my shoes are clean, but when I see very clean floors I will take off my shoes without being asked to do so ( some people do not like the dirt, but think that asking to take the shoes off could sound rude). No problem with that.
I do the same when viewing house for sale. I appreciate someone’s effort to keep the home clean. Don't see that very often, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston