Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 02:04 PM

14 posts, read 55,896 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know who are the builders in Longmeadow Farms besides Ryland and J. Patrick? Also, any current residents have any insight on the community, community activities, and experience with the schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 02:17 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstaylor22 View Post
Does anyone know who are the builders in Longmeadow Farms besides Ryland and J. Patrick? Also, any current residents have any insight on the community, community activities, and experience with the schools?
I can't speak for the rest, but commonly what I hear around Fort Bend is that the Fort Bend school district and Katy district have a better reputation than the Lamar Consolidated district. If that matters to you. I believe many looking in that general area of Long Meadow Farms (LCISD) who care about districts end up across the school district division line in Waterside Estates instead (FBISD). Or for brand new builds, you might look a little closer to Sugar Land in Aliana (also FBISD) where J. Patrick also builds.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:59 PM

That is funny. One realtor said to "stay out of Ft. Bend" as far as schools go. I think sometimes you have to look at the individual schools because some schools can make an entire district look bad. Thanks for the info!

Old 02-28-2010, 05:17 PM

967 posts, read 2,610,628 times
And that's the crazy thing about LCSD (Lamar Consolidated) Everyone keeps "hearing" that Katy ISD is better. Yet no one has any real complaints about LCSD. You'll hear complaints about Alief, Aldine, Spring, etc... Nothing ever "bad" about Lamar. Basically NO NEWS from LCSD. What's left is just "perception."

I guess in Real Estate, perception IS reality. Still doesn't say anything about the schooling.

We looked seriously in Long Meadow Farms in 2007. The neighborhood elementary was exemplary. However, for the same price of a Ryland home in Long Meadow Farms, we got a Village Builder home in Cinco Ranch. So for us, choosing Cinco was a slam dunk. We weren't saving *anything* in Long Meadow Farms... and yet church, stores, etc... were all in Cinco anyways.

Anyway, the reputation of Lamar Consolidated reminds me of the commercial on TV about corn syrup.

person #1 says "you know that popsicle is made with corn syrup"
person #2 "so..."
person #1 "you know what *THEY* say about corn syrup..."
person #2 "no, what?"
person #1 "????" (stumped)

Then the voice over says "get the facts..."

Dub over LCSD for corn syrup and that commercial sums up just about every conversation in City Data about Lamar Consolidated...

Old 03-01-2010, 09:35 AM

1,461 posts, read 5,598,157 times
The other three builders are Ashton Woods, Newmark Houston and Village Builders.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:02 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by descovy View Post
I guess in Real Estate, perception IS reality. Still doesn't say anything about the schooling.
And this may be the case somewhat, I don't know.

But the Lamar CISD schools in Rosenberg and surrounding area aren't perceived the best. All you have to do is read up on all the stink that recently happened in the Riverpark subdivision with the school zoning issue. There were actually Riverpark residents who were hopeful that the annexation into Sugar Land meant the subdivision would be zoned out of LCISD and moved into FBISD... or course not understanding that city boundaries have nothing to do with school district boundaries.
And notice the difference in demand and price in neighboring New Territory, which unlike Riverpark, is in FBISD.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:34 PM

967 posts, read 2,610,628 times
And yet, even in Katy... "South Katy" is percieved better than "North Katy"... even though the school district and curriculuum are exactly the same (demographics are diiferent)

And we just had a big 'ol rezone stink too. Where some students were being transfered from Cinco Ranch HS (99% TAKS passing) to Taylor HS (98% TAKS passing) Both in the same "good side" of the same district. And people were having a COW about sending their kids to Taylor (a very GOOD school, btw...)

People get stupid with rezonings. Sorry, but they do. People fuss over minutia that have NOTHING to do with education... so I wouldn't call a rezoning stink down there as any indicator that LCSD is inferrior. It's just more people fussing and fretting about status, fealy-touchy's, and keeping certain "lower class" students from going to school with their kids. It rarely has anything to do with QUALITY in the classroom. Again, it's just perception...

I have yet to see ONE PERSON here on city-data rail on LCSD... or have any concrete argument that LCSD is "bad." Instead, we see a lot of folks saying "____" is better, without any evidence as to WHY???

And btw, there are schools in FBISD with "bad reputations" too... One of the reasons we didn't move to Grand Mission in 2007 (FBISD) was that the neighborhood Jr/Sr high schools had such poor ratings.

Last edited by descovy; 03-01-2010 at 12:48 PM..

Old 03-01-2010, 04:06 PM

739 posts, read 2,136,288 times
The issue was with the particular school in LCISD (Terry and Lamar) was zoned to, not the entire district. I think the Riverpark folks will be happy with the new middle and high school being built near the George Ranch.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:22 AM

Thanks for all of the info everyone! I think sometimes education is perceptive. There are quite a few kids that don't do well at exemplary schools and those that excel at non-exemplary schools. Certain people just have different notions of what bad element or unsafe is. Take a look at the Menendez brothers, who were very well-to-do. Look how they turned out!

Old 03-15-2010, 08:28 AM

739 posts, read 2,136,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstaylor22 View Post
Thanks for all of the info everyone! I think sometimes education is perceptive. There are quite a few kids that don't do well at exemplary schools and those that excel at non-exemplary schools. Certain people just have different notions of what bad element or unsafe is. Take a look at the Menendez brothers, who were very well-to-do. Look how they turned out!
You are referring to the brothers from FBBA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston