Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 08:05 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,838,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by butta fli View Post
SYAY AWAY FROM BELLAIRE its run down and lots of crime
I think she is talking about the city of Bellaire. You obviously have it confused with some other section of Bellaire Blvd much farther west. Bellaire is one of the more sought-after places in the city with some of the best schools. It is anything but run down. It is, however, more of a family type set up. Not really what I would think would be that much fun for a single twenty-something

The Galleria area is fine. Certainly it offers Houston's best upscale retail options. The traffic is pretty bad there. It lacks the "grid" street pattern of a typical downtown but has all the office, hotel, retail of one, so traffic is a bear. Getting in & out during the Christmas season with all the shoppers at the Galleria is enough to make you knaw your wrists.

IMO while the area is nice and all, it lacks the funky charm & character of areas like Montrose & Heights. The club scene seems to be centered more around mid-town, so I would suggest checking into these areas more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 09:31 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,709,663 times
Irwin also should add Katy, spring, the woodlands, kingwood, sugarland to that list. If you're working in Clear Lake, live there. Badaboom and Premont are right. And I lived in Clear Lake from the time I was 15 until 25 (then lived in Rice village because of job). I loved living near the water. 3rd coast water isn't nasty. It's not crystal blue because it's...hello, a gulf, not straight up ocean. It's shallower, so therefore sandier. You can always go into town on the weekends. It only takes about 30 minutes. There are clubs and resturaunts all over the Clear Lake area, several accessible by boat. You can also jet ski, etc...If you like parks, there are also plenty of those. Funny how Houston, etc also has strip malls and single family housing, even centrally, but noone gives it as much heck as places outside that do. You could live in the Heights, rice village, montrose, etc...but since your doing so much in clear lake as far as work and boat, it just seems to make sense. Although, you could live centrally, store your boat somewhere closer to where you live, commute daily to clear lake for work, go there with the boat on weekends or you could take it to Lake conroe or something.

Old 06-10-2007, 12:15 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,462,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Premont View Post
I would advise you to live in Clear Lake. There's clubs and restaurants out there and you would save on gas and the commute time. On the weekends you could always drive to downtown or uptown.
Why would anyone live there? The houses are old, rundown and smelly. Most of the houses are from the 60's/70's.

Old 06-10-2007, 03:06 PM

300 posts, read 1,850,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Why would anyone live there? The houses are old, rundown and smelly. Most of the houses are from the 60's/70's.
I can understand not wanting to live a rundown, smelly house, but personally I don't understand what is wrong with living in a house built in the 60s/70s, nor do I have any problems doing so. In fact, I have owned 3 houses all built before 1970--2 in the Northeast both built in the 1880s and one in California built in the 1960s.

Old 06-10-2007, 04:34 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,709,663 times
KerrTown must have lived there before the 1980's. If there are houses there that are rundown and smelly, there are probably only 3-4. Have you seen South Shore Harbour or Kemah or League City lately? Even Seabrook? Bacliff has old and older houses but even it is nearly unrecognizable with all of the growth.

Old 06-11-2007, 06:49 AM

37 posts, read 207,279 times
Galleria and Midtown are fun. I also like Rice Military and the area around Highland Village (inside the loop off Westheimer) I think for someone your age, the advice about Clear Lake being too suburban is right.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:48 AM

8 posts, read 30,077 times
You just helped me with NOT chosing and Area.. I am 42, divorced and relocating to Houston Area.. I have 3 kids (17,15,10) I really want to keep them away from as much crime as I can.....
This is one reason why I am leaving Detroit.. Any suggestions for a divorcee w/ 3 kids?

Old 06-12-2007, 03:52 PM

13 posts, read 52,327 times
Default Doggie park

Hi,
I'm considering relocating to the Mid-town area. Is there anywhere nearby that has a good dog park? Any other "hip" areas that have close by places for dogs to walk (I mean really good woodsy areas for a dog that doesn't like city life so much)?

Old 06-12-2007, 04:59 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,690,656 times
I'm not a pet person, but friends who are take their dogs off-leash to the unofficial dog park at Buffalo Bayou Park near Studemont (Montrose) and Allen Parkway.

Other dog parks in Houston: Locations of Dog Parks in Houston and other Texas Areas (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston