Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 03:23 PM

3 posts, read 3,488 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering if someone could give me some advice. I'm 29 years old and currently work doing some contract IT work (though I rarely get jobs from that) and manual labor work (which pays for most of my bills). I'm going absolutely nuts over the monotony of my life, I just barely get by with all my bills. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a new career line that would involve only a short amount of training and would let me be more stable in my life so I could get into college for a more long term training course. Like I said, a path that involves a short amount of training (if any) just to get me stable in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 04:29 PM

16 posts, read 67,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyerigan View Post
I was just wondering if someone could give me some advice. I'm 29 years old and currently work doing some contract IT work (though I rarely get jobs from that) and manual labor work (which pays for most of my bills). I'm going absolutely nuts over the monotony of my life, I just barely get by with all my bills. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a new career line that would involve only a short amount of training and would let me be more stable in my life so I could get into college for a more long term training course. Like I said, a path that involves a short amount of training (if any) just to get me stable in life.

vocational nursing or any medical related course is stable

Old 03-06-2010, 08:45 PM

958 posts, read 2,574,455 times
Teaching would help, or nursing as another poster suggested above. Though teaching would be quicker to move into.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:23 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,568,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorprey View Post
Teaching would help, or nursing as another poster suggested above. Though teaching would be quicker to move into.
There are a lot of rumors HISD is having a hiring freeze this year. There is no shortage of teachers.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:56 AM

3,565 posts, read 4,867,431 times
He needs a degree for teaching. I would look into ATT Tech jobs. The guy who installed my TV and Internet said that he loves his job and they do pay well.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:26 AM

1,743 posts, read 3,822,035 times
I would get a specialty in IT and go to school for it. While going to school, I would bartend full or part time. The tips are good, you will meet a lot of people, it will certainly not be monotonous, and chics dig bartenders!!

Old 03-07-2010, 11:28 AM

3,565 posts, read 4,867,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston321 View Post
I would get a specialty in IT and go to school for it. While going to school, I would bartend full or part time. The tips are good, you will meet a lot of people, it will certainly not be monotonous, and chics dig bartenders!!
LoL. I think it is very hard to get a bartend job without experience. Perhaps even nearly impossibile. Might want to start out as barback.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:00 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,822,035 times
Not really, depends on your personality. If you think everything is going to be hard...it will be. Go in, act like you have the job, and you'd be surprised what can happen.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:51 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,917,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
There are a lot of rumors HISD is having a hiring freeze this year. There is no shortage of teachers.
This is not a rumor, it is a fact. The only exception is Special Education, and you have to have a great deal of education to be qualified.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:05 PM

3 posts, read 3,488 times
Default thanks but...

thanks much for all the replies, it's very appreciated but...Well as xodox pointed out teaching requires a degree and as bad as it will sound I'm currently looking for a relative 'quick fix' temporarily....say training that perhaps lasts a few months tops just to get me situated enough in life to where i don't have to have an annoying roommate who is loathe to cleaning lol and live slightly comfortably alone....at which time I'd fully commit to long term college program (probably something environmental related). A little background (which might help with suggestions), I'm an A+ certified computer repair contractor, just unfortunately it's very very hard getting much contract work and next to impossible (even with my 2 years of experience) to get scheduled work. Are there any other certifications that yall would recommend I attain that would absolutely help or any other paths?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston