Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 10:30 AM

7 posts, read 38,935 times

Advertisements

I am looking to buy either a townhouse or condo inside the loop by year end and I have been researching different areas of Houston for the past couple months. And the only thing i know for sure..the decision is too hard!

I want to live in an urban area and have sort of narrowed my choices down to Midtown, Near East End, Montrose, Museum District, Greenway plaza (basically somewhere along 59 as I work at Westheimer and Beltway and getting on 59 going opposite traffic is not bad). I know, not much narrowing down. I am 24 and will have about 60k to put a down payment (my max for the townhouse is around 250-280k, but ideally something cheaper would be great too).

There are so many pros/cons to the different areas such as Midtown being in the middle of the nightlife but being a little on the expensive side, East End being somewhat cheaper and with the new Pavillions and Discovery Green it should (i think) up the appreciation some in the next couple years. Montrose I see as almost the same as Midtown. Museum District and Greenway Plaza are a little closer to work but I do not see them as urban as the other places. So basically, my main criteria are urban/pedestrian friendly, good appreciation/resale, and close proximity to nightlife.

Please, any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 12:56 PM

48 posts, read 267,590 times
East End, while close, is not really in the middle of everything. Nothing truly in walking distance, at least not yet. For the combination of price and location I'd probably focus on Montrose or Midtown. Lots of nice new develpment in midtown on the end closer to HCC. Musuem District is beautiful but probably pushing it on price. The Greenway area, or alternately Upper Kirby, is still very close to all the action but not as dense and pedestrian-friendly. Also more expensive. One thing I'm seeing in Midtown (the blocks that were developed first-- just on the other side of the Pierce elevated): parking is begining to get pretty tough and with the new apartments close to leasing, will get worse. If you have people over a lot parking will be an issue for them, depeending where you are in Midtown. Good luck-- I'm jealous! When I was 24 I was living in a skanky $500 a month Montrose apartment. But I loved it --the best part of town, IMO, to live. I'm still doing it after all these years.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:33 PM

657 posts, read 2,545,344 times
If I was working on Westheimer and the beltway I would look for a place close by like Gessner north of Westheimer, but that's just me. Inside the loop I would check out south of 59, along Holcombe and some of the roads that intersect it like Kirby and Buffalo Speedway.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifsmom View Post
East End, while close, is not really in the middle of everything. Nothing truly in walking distance, at least not yet. For the combination of price and location I'd probably focus on Montrose or Midtown. Lots of nice new develpment in midtown on the end closer to HCC. Musuem District is beautiful but probably pushing it on price. The Greenway area, or alternately Upper Kirby, is still very close to all the action but not as dense and pedestrian-friendly. Also more expensive. One thing I'm seeing in Midtown (the blocks that were developed first-- just on the other side of the Pierce elevated): parking is begining to get pretty tough and with the new apartments close to leasing, will get worse. If you have people over a lot parking will be an issue for them, depeending where you are in Midtown. Good luck-- I'm jealous! When I was 24 I was living in a skanky $500 a month Montrose apartment. But I loved it --the best part of town, IMO, to live. I'm still doing it after all these years.
Thanks, it helps that my parents live here and I've been living with them rent free ever since I graduated college, which is how I saved the down payment. Gotta love parents, but I need to move out! It's hard to go from college to back at home with the parents. I feel like I'm wasting the prime post-college years of my life.

Yeah Midtown was originally my main and only choice, but I reconsidered because you can get more sq footage in East End for the same price. Also, I would prefer to live in a more contemporary townhouse, but it seems like in Midtown the only affordable living is traditional homes.

I actually have my eye on this place: TERRAMARK HOMES - Delano City Views
I'm curious on people's thoughts on this (location/price/architecture).

Old 06-08-2007, 02:17 PM

Those are less than a mile from where I live--they look pretty nice. Don't know about the reputation of the builder at all, but the area is fine, in transition right now. New townhomes going up, wedged in around warehouses and a few shabby old crackhouse looking places, but the good news is lots of develpoment all around. You'll see a few strung out street people around, but I haven't heard of any major crime issues. Bars/restuarants, and Randalls, Specs, CVS etc. right next door in midtown. Also a Krogers and CVS the opposite diection on Cullen, so it's not like you're stranded without stores close by. And if the Pavillions are ever finished, a good mall practically across the street!

Old 06-12-2007, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premont View Post
If I was working on Westheimer and the beltway I would look for a place close by like Gessner north of Westheimer, but that's just me. Inside the loop I would check out south of 59, along Holcombe and some of the roads that intersect it like Kirby and Buffalo Speedway.
The reason I don't want to choose a place based on job location is because you never know how long you're going to be at the company and I'd rather base it on the immediate surroundings that is relatively close.

As for the area south of 59, is that the same as Greenway Plaza area? Would you happen to know the zip code?

Old 06-12-2007, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifsmom View Post
Those are less than a mile from where I live--they look pretty nice. Don't know about the reputation of the builder at all, but the area is fine, in transition right now. New townhomes going up, wedged in around warehouses and a few shabby old crackhouse looking places, but the good news is lots of develpoment all around. You'll see a few strung out street people around, but I haven't heard of any major crime issues. Bars/restuarants, and Randalls, Specs, CVS etc. right next door in midtown. Also a Krogers and CVS the opposite diection on Cullen, so it's not like you're stranded without stores close by. And if the Pavillions are ever finished, a good mall practically across the street!

Yeah I kind of drove around this area and it seems like one day it will become very residential. I like the Midtown area better because it is closer to all those things you mentioned, but East End it seems you can get 3-400 more sq ft for the same price (which also may have more room for appreciation). Do you know if it is safe/feasible to walk from this area to downtown where the Pavillions/Minute Maid/Toyota Center are (crossing 59, generous amount of blocks)?

Old 06-12-2007, 02:48 PM

From those townhomes on Delano, I would not walk into downtown. Still too sparse around there, empty lots and whatnot, no sidewalks, and the blocks are long. I would bike it, though, definitely. To realistically, and safely, be able to walk to the store, restaurants, bars, in a pleasant environment, your best bet is probably a townhome (a few years old) in the vicinity of Post apartments Midtown. But you're right, relative to Midtown, there's good value for the money in the east end and hopefully, better room for appreciation as that area fills in more.

Old 06-12-2007, 04:08 PM

657 posts, read 2,545,344 times
Greenway Plaza is north of 59 near The Summit. South of 59 there are only a few freeway exits because they like to keep out the riff raff. 77005 is the zip for a lot of it.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:09 PM

Thanks for the responses Grifsmom and Premont. I will def add 77005 to my list of zip codes I'm constantly searching.

As for townhomes, it seems that the majority of people rather buy newer townhomes than older ones. It seems alot of people are actually having trouble selling their older Midtown townhomes, as I've seen the listings on HAR.com last for months now. Some people even compare it to buying a car, since it doesn't appreciate and may have to sell it for a lower price to get it sold. That's one of my concerns of the East End since it is still majorly developing. Will the eventual construction of newer and newer townhomes make the current ones "old and outdated" and hard to sell later? It almost makes me want to wait to buy a new townhome when the area is close to being fully developed (like Midtown) so that it will be the newest townhome in that area (though the price will probably be much higher).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: