Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 06:51 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,539,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by va_residents View Post
Oil and gas company pays low to IT contractor, because interanl IT department is back office. It is not critical. It can be outsourced easily. I found non oil and gas companies pay more to IT contractor.
I am a contractor for an oil and gas firm. I get paid decent, but probably would get paid much more outside of this industry. I'm content with the people i work with and job, so i won't be leaving unless they laid me off. Yes, for IT in an oil and gas, they don't pay as much as people think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 12:24 PM

497 posts, read 1,485,834 times
Quote:
Do these hourly rates for IT exist in Houston? What I found in Houston IT contractor hourly rate is between 50-70. Full time software developer with 8-10 year experience make around 98k. It seems 100k is good salary for IT full time employee and 140k for contractor. The demand for IT is not strong. Not many IT job opportunities in Houston. Please correct me if I am wrong.
I would say, in general, this is correct except there are many jobs available. Not as many as LA or Boston perhaps but those cities are expensive, the pay isn't much better, and therefore more jobs stay open.

SteveArmy is suggesting that who you know is more important than what you know. Unfortunately, he is correct.

But as far as the OP - Java and C#.net programming are two of the best paying areas in IT. There are some niches that are really good like SAP also.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donly1 View Post
luxury car salesman without degrees can make a $100k
Yes but the hours are horrible. I can work part time coding and make $140k a year.

Old 05-23-2010, 01:15 PM

1,474 posts, read 4,997,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by studiobtm View Post

But as far as the OP - Java and C#.net programming are two of the best paying areas in IT. There are some niches that are really good like SAP also.
I cant 100% agree on that. these days techs should really see java, .net, python etc as JUST the language. anyone can grab a book and sound like they speak them. people need to be targetting what product is being built and how that can define your future and your current pay. All the big name third party vendor products have opened up to java, c, and .net programming. its the in thing, so try to find jobs under Solarc, Rightangle, Murex, Endur, Triplepoint etc. go for any job description with "experience with XXX sotware is a plus" even if you dont have experience. This side of the industry actually likes tired developers, the kind that dont excited with all that hooplah OO coding anymore. This is the get-it-done energy trading front end, you(IT) help me, I(trading floor) help you support model, just like back in 1997!

I found it hard to believe even to this day that every contractor on my floor is getting paid $270k atleast. I even know this QA person who made $330k (with OT)last year. WTF right? she doesnt even do anything but click 'run' buttons we provided

Old 06-01-2010, 08:48 AM

477 posts, read 736,938 times
so how does new residents of Houston find IT jobs? Search Dice or Monster or can you guys suggest any recruiter. I am working in FL making 100K in IT field > 12 years experience. I am considering moving to Houston area for better market.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:22 PM

164 posts, read 364,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveArmy View Post
I cant 100% agree on that. these days techs should really see java, .net, python etc as JUST the language. anyone can grab a book and sound like they speak them. people need to be targetting what product is being built and how that can define your future and your current pay. All the big name third party vendor products have opened up to java, c, and .net programming. its the in thing, so try to find jobs under Solarc, Rightangle, Murex, Endur, Triplepoint etc. go for any job description with "experience with XXX sotware is a plus" even if you dont have experience. This side of the industry actually likes tired developers, the kind that dont excited with all that hooplah OO coding anymore. This is the get-it-done energy trading front end, you(IT) help me, I(trading floor) help you support model, just like back in 1997!

I found it hard to believe even to this day that every contractor on my floor is getting paid $270k atleast. I even know this QA person who made $330k (with OT)last year. WTF right? she doesnt even do anything but click 'run' buttons we provided
Have you met someone who comment you as just a contractor? I found some IT people in TX are proud to be full time employees although they are low paid.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:20 PM

1,474 posts, read 4,997,680 times
Quote:
Have you met someone who comment you as just a contractor? I found some IT people in TX are proud to be full time employees although they are low paid.
yes. its a texan thing that roots from the dirty oil blue collar job sites/towns. those prarie/cow girls who barely finished highschool only hump people with *stable* jobs. like firemen
actually my ex from kazahstan thinks i'm *only a contractor*. theyre big in oil exploration too

Old 06-01-2010, 08:04 PM

851 posts, read 3,627,125 times
Wow, you guys need to introduce me to those nice paying IT jobs.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:44 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,811,078 times
What are the good secure sales job that pay well?

Old 06-01-2010, 09:04 PM

Most IT people are not going to have SteveArmy's "luck". I know lots of good contract programmers in Houston making $45 or $50 an hour 1099. The wages here are no better than LA or Atlanta or most other places. Which isn't to say they are bad. Programming is a good gig. But this is not IT utopia either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston