Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2010, 02:12 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,838,516 times

Advertisements

The Dallas arts district is just like if you combined Houston's theater district (downtown) and the museum district (just outside of downtown.)

Besides, OP was asking about artistic "vibe" and homegrown stuff. Houston wins for that IMO. You just can't replicate Montrose/Museum District and the vibe, at least not on purpose. No need to turn a thread in the Houston forum into some promotion from the Dallas convention & visitors bureau by listing a bunch of venue names there, but thanks anyway.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 02:21 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,760,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
The Dallas arts district is just like if you combined Houston's theater district (downtown) and the museum district (just outside of downtown.)

Besides, OP was asking about artistic "vibe" and homegrown stuff. Houston wins for that IMO. You just can't replicate Montrose/Museum District and the vibe, at least not on purpose. No need to turn a thread in the Houston forum into some promotion from the Dallas convention & visitors bureau by listing a bunch of venue names there, but thanks anyway.
Have you seen the new venues in the Arts District?

Old 05-21-2010, 02:26 PM

659 posts, read 1,376,350 times
Dallas does indeed have an impressive arts district. Now, if the quality could just keep up with quantity (Nasher notwithstanding).

Old 05-21-2010, 02:28 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,838,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
Have you seen the new venues in the Arts District?
Venues do not an art scene or artsy vibe make. Especially new venues.
It's the people and their creativity and background and neighborhood and scene. Can't be replicated or forced. Read the more specific question asked in the original post: "I don't mean big huge touring productions or exhibits coming into town ..."

Old 05-21-2010, 03:02 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiley9 View Post
Being pretty new to Texas, I am wondering which of these cities has more of an artistic vibe. I don't mean big huge touring productions or exhibits coming into town for a couple of weeks. It's more the local arts and artists I'm wondering about. Theater, visual art, film making, music, dance, etc.

thanks!
Houston, no doubt.

I'm not trying to become arrogant and shove Dallas off the radar but Houston is far superior in both Theater and Art, even in Music.

Houston Theater District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

^^ 2nd largest theater district in the country after NYC, and one of the top 5 best in the country.

Houston Museum District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

^^ Our museum district is arguable the best in Texas. So many different choices to choose from really.

Rothko Chapel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

^^ You'll find various elements of art there. It's one of the best in the country.

Please take advantage of Houston's Theater & Art scene. The Music scene is already doing great!

Old 05-21-2010, 03:57 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,489,277 times
The Dallas venue is very nice, but it has that whole contrived feeling. Master Planned Arts Community. Really not very artsey at all.

Houston's whole Arts scene is much larger if you want to go by acreage,even though it's spread out, but it's also more organic...you know kinda like art.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:19 PM

55 posts, read 128,639 times
While I'm sure that both cities have impressive venues, I am definitely wondering more about the "vibe" of the city. Some cities attract artists, while others are more about business. So I am trying to determine which city has a more homegrown artsy feel. I care more about small independent theater groups and music than big national tours.

I really appreciate all the info on this thread!

Old 05-21-2010, 05:25 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
While I'm sure that both cities have impressive venues, I am definitely wondering more about the "vibe" of the city. Some cities attract artists, while others are more about business. So I am trying to determine which city has a more homegrown artsy feel. I care more about small independent theater groups and music than big national tours.

Well they're both large business oriented cities, but Houston has more of a Theater & Arts scene. I'm not trying to just say that because I live there, but because I'm from Chicago. I generally love art and theater, it's something we have a lot of interest for in Chicago, and I've seen Houston to be the best match for that in Texas.

As for the music scene, Austin is generally the undoubted best in the state, but Houston would be a good follow up after that. The new House of Blues in downtown is fantastic.

Houston has more of the feel.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:49 PM

192 posts, read 504,756 times
Quote:
I'm a bit tired today, but here are a few independent art venues in Houston off the top of my head.

Diverseworks

Suchu Dance

Aurora Picture Show

Art League of Houston

Houston's art scene has a certain urban vibe to it, which may different from what Dallas has to offer. If I think of any more, I'll try to post them here.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:29 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,115,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feufoma View Post
Dallas does indeed have an impressive arts district. Now, if the quality could just keep up with quantity (Nasher notwithstanding).
That is very true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Well they're both large business oriented cities, but Houston has more of a Theater & Arts scene. I'm not trying to just say that because I live there, but because I'm from Chicago. I generally love art and theater, it's something we have a lot of interest for in Chicago, and I've seen Houston to be the best match for that in Texas.

As for the music scene, Austin is generally the undoubted best in the state, but Houston would be a good follow up after that. The new House of Blues in downtown is fantastic.

Houston has more of the feel.
Houston definitely has a better homegrown feel and Houston's art scene has a more organic growth feel to it. Dallas does indeed have remarkable venues but since it is so new it does indeed feel contrived and sterile, the opposite of Houston. Give Dallas another 15 years for the area to come together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston