Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 05:54 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,327,595 times

Advertisements

I'm new to Texas (got here last week from NC), so I haven't been following this more than just casually. What exactly are the changes that 90% of this board are so upset about? I mean, specifically. The article I read didn't go into much detail except to say we're sticking with BC and AD, making sure to mention the Christian roots of the founding fathers, and talking abou the dismissal of the gold standard -- none of which seem to be too "crazy".

If someone would enlighten me I would appreciate it! (I'm still open to the idea hating the new standards like the rest of you, I just haven't seen enough reason yet!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 06:28 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,828,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
I think it's a terrible idea to build a Mosque next to Ground Zero; I do NOT support illegal immigration; I am not ok with free handouts & welfare to people who have absolutely no business receiving it - they need to get off their asses & work; I absolutely believe that every American CITIZEN needs to have healthcare. Prayer, God & church - you bet it's important in my life and I will make sure that my children are raised in the church and are respectful, responsible, patriotic young Americans.

Stop painting all liberals with the same brush or color. We're not all the same. In fact, neither are your fellow Republicans. I've heard from many of my Republican friends & family here in Texas that they are appalled by these "red-neck" (their words, not mine) changes.
My thoughts exactly, on every point you made!

Old 05-22-2010, 06:49 PM

92 posts, read 145,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston321 View Post
What are you talking about? I think this is great. First of all, education as it stands is so far left it makes me sick. The article itself is slanted, I mean...look what website it's from. MSNBC is some of the worst far left garbage that spews from the airwaves, which is why it has such horrible ratings in the first place.

I support the additions and subtractions. I don't think they went far enough. It is really so evident that there are 2 United States. The one that thinks it's ok to build a Mosque next to Ground Zero, is ok with illegal immigration, is ok with free handouts & welfare, is ashamed of America and apologizes every chance they get, is ok with universal healthcare, is ok with Government taking over businesses...etc.

So as a different point of view from many above, I'm sickened by leftist garbage and liberal apologists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Can you please give me some examples of "leftist garbage"?

It's not just one person waiting for a response!!!

Last edited by lame_excuse; 05-22-2010 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: This site sucks when multi-quoting at once.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:52 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston321 View Post
What are you talking about? I think this is great. First of all, education as it stands is so far left it makes me sick. The article itself is slanted, I mean...look what website it's from. MSNBC is some of the worst far left garbage that spews from the airwaves, which is why it has such horrible ratings in the first place.

I support the additions and subtractions. I don't think they went far enough. It is really so evident that there are 2 United States. The one that thinks it's ok to build a Mosque next to Ground Zero, is ok with illegal immigration, is ok with free handouts & welfare, is ashamed of America and apologizes every chance they get, is ok with universal healthcare, is ok with Government taking over businesses...etc.

So as a different point of view from many above, I'm sickened by leftist garbage and liberal apologists.

Most of America backs your concerns. From slightly left of the middle,to the middle, and to the right... Carry on.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:58 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Quote:
I do know this much. Between this and the Arizona immigration reform law, I am sure hearing a lot less "Wait until November" talk from my conservative friends and family.
Really? I'm hearing a ton more chatter...Like Arizonia is amazing...too bad it's freaking hot desert or we would move there.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:01 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,162,957 times
This is so comical! Carry on.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:16 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,834,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Most of America backs your concerns. From slightly left of the middle,to the middle, and to the right... Carry on.
No they don't.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:22 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Some specifics:

There's no longer such a thing as U.S. "imperialism"—it's "U.S. expansionism." It's only imperialism when the Europeans do it, naturally. And when the Soviets did it, it was "aggression."

A new addition to world history: "Explain how Arab rejection of the State of Israel has led to ongoing conflict."

The slave trade would be renamed the “Atlantic triangular trade,”

These are just a few of the changes. I guess when Texans rewrite history, it's ok, but when Russians do it, then it's a travesty. Russians tried to whitewash their history. Thankfully, the people of Russia don't accept that version.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:29 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,449,471 times
Quote:
Can you please give me some examples of "leftist garbage"?
Your wasting your time trying to get sensible answers from a seemingly conservative right wing fundamentalist mentality.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:38 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
A recommendation to include country and western music among the nation’s important cultural movements. The popular black genre of hip-hop is being dropped from the same list.
LOL. What, do they think that many people in the inner city actually care about country western music? Do they not believe that hip hop is a culture in itself. What a joke. Did this part actually pass.

Quote:
A reduced scope for Latino history and culture. A proposal to expand such material in recognition of Texas’ rapidly growing Hispanic population was defeated in last week’s meetings—provoking one board member, Mary Helen Berlanga, to storm out in protest. "They can just pretend this is a white America and Hispanics don’t exist," she said of her conservative colleagues on the board. "They are rewriting history, not only of Texas but of the United States and the world."
I'm not sure Latino's are too keen about this and if they could remember this come 2012. But keep digging yourself a deeper hole, conservatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston