Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 03:44 PM

4,952 posts, read 8,947,084 times

Advertisements

The parent comapny of the Huntington Mall is about to spend $5-10 million on renovations for the mall. They are putting in new floors, new ceilings and apparently even knocking out some of the ceiling to add sky lights. It should look very nice when done. Sounds like they are also adding a few new stores. Here are the articles and a picture with a schematic in the background:

Mall planning major renovation - The Herald Dispatch (http://www.herald-dispatch.com/homepage/x1981163519/Mall-planning-major-renovation?i=0 - broken link)

UPDATE: Huntington Mall's 30-year Facelift
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 04:46 PM

6,071 posts, read 9,093,600 times
Good news, and very much needed!

Old 11-27-2011, 04:30 PM

Renovation at the Huntington Mall is now finished and I must say, it looks very nice. They did a very good job and actual construction looks just like the concept art. The center area especially has been opened up with higher ceilings and many skylights/windows. It gives the mall a much more modern feel and hardly feels like the same mall to me.

The Huntington mall seems to be holding its own in this economy, being essentially 100% full. Many stores reported being much of their way to their daily goals by 4 A.M. on black Friday.

Malls ready for holiday shoppers - The Herald Dispatch

Mall stores report booming sales due to early openings - The Herald Dispatch

Shoppers rush to midnight openings - The Herald Dispatch

Old 11-27-2011, 08:03 PM

Looks nice! Can't believe that is the same old mall.

I'll have to make a special trip to Cabell County.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:18 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,038,016 times
Until I saw that sign, I didn't realize that mall (like the Ohio Valley Mall near Wheeling) is operated by the Youngstown mafia. That explains a lot. Anyway, it's nice to see they made some upgrades. Is somebody constructing a big strip mall nearby? Just remembered, ... Charleston is getting a Cabelas.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:39 PM

A local developer is supposed to put $80 million into the area right off of the Hal Greer Blvd Huntington exit but it hasn't been released what type of development that will be. My thoughts were that the upgrades were in response to this but who knows. They only recently finished the sewer line upgrades required for the development so if something is going to happen, it would likely be announced in the first part of the year.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:57 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,038,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
A local developer is supposed to put $80 million into the area right off of the Hal Greer Blvd Huntington exit but it hasn't been released what type of development that will be. My thoughts were that the upgrades were in response to this but who knows. They only recently finished the sewer line upgrades required for the development so if something is going to happen, it would likely be announced in the first part of the year.
I would say it is almost certain the upgrades are in response to those developments. Cafaro isn't going to part with anything unless something like that brings it about. They got their butts handed to them with a huge strip development in St. Clairsville, then were blasted by the Highlands development on the other side of Wheeling and Cabelas. It is nice they are making the upgrades. It is a pretty good bet it is damage control. Competition is a wonderful thing.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:52 PM

870 posts, read 1,568,534 times
The Meadowbrook Mall in Bridgeport is also owned by the same company as the Huntington Mall. I remember when I went to the Huntington Mall a little over a year ago, it reminded me a lot of the Meadowbrook Mall even down to the smell!

I wish they would update the mall in Bridgeport like they did in Huntington. The mall was cutting edge up until the mid 1990's. The food court was updated somewhat and a new cinemas opened, but most of the mall is very dated looking. The one in St. Clairsville (the same company that owns both malls) is outdated too. It needs a desperate update too.

Oh yeah, the Books-A-Million that took Border's Express place in the Meadowbrook Mall looks nothing like a Books-A-Million....there's not even a Joe Muggs in there. Well that's another rant...

Old 11-28-2011, 06:28 PM

It was kind of surprising how little work Books-a-Million did to the old Borders stores. In the Huntington Mall, we had a larger Borders so we have a Joe Muggs but they did next to nothing to the rest of the store. Same fixtures, book cases, almost everything. It will be interesting to see which book store folds next.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
It was kind of surprising how little work Books-a-Million did to the old Borders stores. In the Huntington Mall, we had a larger Borders so we have a Joe Muggs but they did next to nothing to the rest of the store. Same fixtures, book cases, almost everything. It will be interesting to see which book store folds next.
Same deal with the converted books a millon here in the mall. The only thing they did was paint where the orange was blue

What were they planning off Hal Greer Blvd.??? A new strip mall would be interesting in that part of Huntington. Seeing how most of the retail presence is east.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington