Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 03:05 PM

941 posts, read 1,355,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I think Huntington/Charleston area could support one! I could see one in either city, whether it be Pullman Square or Charleston's East End. Another thought is to build one in Putnam County, but that wouldn't be so fun for the urbanites.
Hmmm Putnam would be risky BUT I could really see it paying off as well. Ideally, it would be great for Huntington and Charleston to have one separately but I know that's a little out there.

Honestly, I think a Trader Joe's MIGHT be more successful in Charleston. It is a little more expensive of a store and Charleston has more wealthy people than Huntington, I think this without looking up any numbers so don't quote me. I feel like the difference would probably be minimal though.

I want the store to be in Huntington though. That's an honest bias. Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 03:34 PM

6,078 posts, read 9,107,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post
Hmmm Putnam would be risky BUT I could really see it paying off as well. Ideally, it would be great for Huntington and Charleston to have one separately but I know that's a little out there.

Honestly, I think a Trader Joe's MIGHT be more successful in Charleston. It is a little more expensive of a store and Charleston has more wealthy people than Huntington, I think this without looking up any numbers so don't quote me. I feel like the difference would probably be minimal though.

I want the store to be in Huntington though. That's an honest bias. Lol
At least you are honest about your bias

I would love to see both cities have one two, but it's highly doubtful that the region can support two. How about Huntington taking TJ's and Charleston getting a Whole Foods.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
At least you are honest about your bias

I would love to see both cities have one two, but it's highly doubtful that the region can support two. How about Huntington taking TJ's and Charleston getting a Whole Foods.
Haha okay deal. Too bad it isn't that easy. Lol.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:30 PM

6,000 Likes!!!!

Bring Trader Joe's to Huntington is now official the most popular "Bring Trader Joe's to..." page on Facebook, with more Likes than any other page!

Keep in mind that this began about 2 and a half days ago.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:40 PM

4,958 posts, read 8,952,889 times
This is actually how Huntingon got a Red Lobster in the late 1980s. The people wanted one bad enough and petitioned them to build one. Red Lobster listened and has had a very successful restaurant for the past 20+ years.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
This is actually how Huntingon got a Red Lobster in the late 1980s. The people wanted one bad enough and petitioned them to build one. Red Lobster listened and has had a very successful restaurant for the past 20+ years.
Wow! I didn't know that! Well we know what we want. Lol

Old 07-09-2013, 05:36 AM

4,958 posts, read 8,952,889 times
Huntington Mayor's Suggestion Goes Facebook Viral | Huntington News

Old 07-09-2013, 08:00 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,421,483 times
Putnam has the population and money to support at Trader Joe's, but not the density or, frankly, mentality. TJ's is more of an urban grocer, with smaller stores and small parking areas. With Walmart in Hurricane and a new Target in Teays Valley, not to mention other stores like Foodland, TJ's would have a hard time. Put one next to WVU (which, I have a feeling will happen once University Place is done) or Marshall and it would definitely take off.

And I keep reading where it's expensive. I don't know which ones you go to, but the one near where I lived in Pittsburgh was better quality food than Target at the same prices. Sure, Whole Foods was also a few blocks away, but despite their quality products, they were simply too expensive for me. TJ's seems to be the best value overall.

Oh, and yes, if you haven't heard, Teays Valley is getting a Target and Outback Steakhouse where they are extending the access road from Home Depot. Or that's the current rumor at least.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:05 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,150,707 times
A lot of the food at TJ's can be found at Target. TJ's has agreements with many of the major food companies to repackage their products under TJ's house brand/label names. When the food is at TJ's is usually cheaper and that's their draw for those foods.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:16 PM

6,078 posts, read 9,107,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
Putnam has the population and money to support at Trader Joe's, but not the density or, frankly, mentality. TJ's is more of an urban grocer, with smaller stores and small parking areas. With Walmart in Hurricane and a new Target in Teays Valley, not to mention other stores like Foodland, TJ's would have a hard time. Put one next to WVU (which, I have a feeling will happen once University Place is done) or Marshall and it would definitely take off.

And I keep reading where it's expensive. I don't know which ones you go to, but the one near where I lived in Pittsburgh was better quality food than Target at the same prices. Sure, Whole Foods was also a few blocks away, but despite their quality products, they were simply too expensive for me. TJ's seems to be the best value overall.

Oh, and yes, if you haven't heard, Teays Valley is getting a Target and Outback Steakhouse where they are extending the access road from Home Depot. Or that's the current rumor at least.
Even though I am 100% pro Target in Putnam County, I'm highly confident that this is just a rumor. The papers would have blown the lid off of this thing if it were true, plus I Google searched it and got nothing.

The problem with getting a TJ's or Whole Foods in WV is the mentality the outside world has on WV. People honestly think we are stuck in the past which is a complete lie! Shoot, even some of the people on this forum are too ignorant to understand just how far this region has come to par in the last few decades. We really need our image changed before stores like this will even start to look into building here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington