Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2009, 06:47 PM

5 posts, read 14,139 times

Advertisements

Well I just moved into town and I am looking to buy some furnitures, primarily a bed.

Anyone have any reference to a good furniture store that sells them for a good price ? I am looking for a single/twin size bed. I am also wondering if any of them will deliver.

Thanks in advance,
Stu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 11:56 PM

4,952 posts, read 8,946,075 times
There are a few different furnitre stores in the area that you can check out. The cheapest would be Value City furniture on Route 60 and they do deliver. Out at the mall, there is a store that is a combo Oak Express and Bedroom expressions. They have some nice stuff but they are pretty expensive although you can find good deals from time to time. There's also a few of locations of a local store called Big Sandy Furniture. They have good stuff at decent prices and would probably be your best bet. There are a few other local stores like Glaser's Furniture on 3rd Ave that you could check out as well. Huntington Wholesale furniture is downtown on 8th Ave and 8th St and although they are primarily a wholesaler, they do deal with the public as well. Most of these places will deliver. If you are looking for something really inexpensive you could always check the Herald-Dispatch classifieds. Here are some links and I hope this helps. Welcome to Huntington and let me know if you need anything else.

Tim

Value City Furniture - Home Page

Furniture Row: Home of Sofa Mart, Oak Express, Bedroom Expressions, Denver Mattress Company and Furniture Row Outlet

Big Sandy Superstore: Home

Huntington Wholesale Furniture : HGTV : Marketplace

Herald-Dispatch -- Classifieds

Old 07-24-2009, 03:31 PM

Well I bought a queen mattress set from Big Sandy Superstore since they have a deal for a Queen Size Sealy Matress set for $199. Thanks for the links Tim.

Next order of business is a local bank for a checking account and debit cards, etc. Anyone have any preference ?

The people I've met so far have been very friendly, I think I would enjoy living in this area. Again thanks for the all help.

Stu

Old 07-24-2009, 05:59 PM

One other thing, I have suddenlink for my Internet connection and thinking to use Magic Jack to supplement my cellphone. Anyone have experience with it ?

I've been reading online and it seems the internet connection have a great deal of effect on the quality.

Have a great weekend !!
Stu

Old 07-27-2009, 05:36 AM

For banking, it just depends on if you want a place that is truly local or if you want a place with national branches as well. For local banks, there's First Sentry and First State Bank both based in the Huntington area and limited to this area. United bank is based in Charleston and has branches all over the state. 5/3rd's WV headquarters are based here in Huntington but they haven't made it to the entire state yet. Chase, BB&T and Huntington Banks are here as well.

I've heard people say nothing but good things about the local banks as they are a little more personal than larger banks. Here are some links.

:: First Sentry Bank :: Your Town...Your Bank

The First State Bank

United Bank

In terms of internet, I don't have any experience with the Magic Jack as I use Verizon DSL. You might just check online to see if you can find any reviews.

Hope this helps and glad you are liking the area.

Tim

Old 07-27-2009, 06:10 PM

28 posts, read 79,684 times
I went with Chase because they're the most likely to be wherever I go next. There is a credit union associated with Cabell Hospital.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:48 AM

Thanks for the response, sorry for the late reply I was tied up with work and other things.

I went with Chase for my bank for the same reason as njac and also because they have a solid online banking features.

Next on the list is to title my car as WV, doesn't seem like its going to be a hard thing, seems pretty straightforward and the website is informative:
DMV Vehicle License Information

There is one thing that I couldn't seem to find any info about and that is the vehicle inspection. The site list on a bunch of things to do which seems to take time to do, I wonder if it is like that in reality ? I shouldn't have any problem passing the inspection but I just don't want to stay for half a day for a simple inspection.
Link: WEST VIRGINIA MOTOR VEHICLE INSPECTION PROGRAM (http://www.wvstatepolice.com/traffic/mvi.htm - broken link)

Another thing that is not listed are the locations and cost, anyone have any recommendations on where to get a vehicle inspected and how much should it cost ? I am contemplating to do it in the dealership but there's no guarantee that dealerships can do it.

The weather was pretty bad yesterday I hope everyone is doing ok.

Thanks again,
Stu.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:17 AM

300 posts, read 819,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_stup1do View Post
There is one thing that I couldn't seem to find any info about and that is the vehicle inspection. The site list on a bunch of things to do which seems to take time to do, I wonder if it is like that in reality ? I shouldn't have any problem passing the inspection but I just don't want to stay for half a day for a simple inspection.
Link: WEST VIRGINIA MOTOR VEHICLE INSPECTION PROGRAM (http://www.wvstatepolice.com/traffic/mvi.htm - broken link)

Another thing that is not listed are the locations and cost, anyone have any recommendations on where to get a vehicle inspected and how much should it cost ? I am contemplating to do it in the dealership but there's no guarantee that dealerships can do it.

The weather was pretty bad yesterday I hope everyone is doing ok.

Thanks again,
Stu.
Feel for you on that one. I'm in Charleston, and was surprised to learn when I moved here that a lot of mechanic businesses don't make appointments. Russia has the same attitude, that we're doing you the favor by being in business. Finally found a dealership that makes appointments, and does inspections too, so they get all my business. Don't remember the annual inspection amount, so it was probably trivial . . however, I have learned they annually tax you on ownership of a vehicle as "personal property", so expect that, i.e., 2.8626% x est. value. Basically, a used vehicle with a $5,000 value would be $143.

Half-billings seem to be the norm for a lot of different agencies, and this drives me nuts because I'm never quite sure how much I owe anybody in the government, and that, I suppose, is the way they like it.

Welcome to West Virginia

Old 08-05-2009, 01:32 PM

Inspections aren't bad. They only cost $10-12 and usually take less than an hour, depending on how busy they are. One place you can call for an inspection is Tire Stop in Barboursville, just off of Rt. 60 on Peyton St (beside Rt 60 Music). They take appointments and are generally quick. Another place with great service from my experience is Tic Toc Tire in Huntington. They too take appointments and are great if you have any tire needs. They are on Third Ave right across from the Marshall football stadium. Here are numbers for both:

Tic-Toc Tire Company, Huntington, WV : Reviews and maps - Yahoo! Local

Tire Stop Incorporated, Barboursville, WV : Reviews and maps - Yahoo! Local (they've moved from this address)

Hope this helps.

Weather has been different than the norm this year. This was the coldest, wettest July on record for Huntington. It will be interesting to see what the winter brings.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:11 PM

I called Tic Toc for vehicle inspection and they say for inspection its on first come first serve basis so better bring it early in the morning so you'll be first in line.

On a completely different note, did the gas price jumped 10c in a day ? I saw its $2.69 now and I remembered that 2-3 days ago its $2.59.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington