Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2009, 08:37 PM

4,959 posts, read 8,955,150 times

Advertisements

GMA came to Huntington to visit the Jamie Oliver show this morning. Of course Gov. Manchin had to take advantage of the photo op. Here's a link to the video and the subsequent article.

One Town Gets Healthy - ABC News

Oliver show attracts 'GMA' to town - The Herald Dispatch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 11:10 PM

938 posts, read 2,898,577 times
Yeah...a few months ago you were up in arms about H'Town being called the most unhealthy in the nation...now look at what its got the town...a TV special and positive national attention...

Just goes to show...any publicity can be good publicity...if handled the right way...

Old 11-18-2009, 05:01 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,315,952 times
Some governors would direct traffic at a school crossing if it would get them publicity.

It's physcological...his need for reinforcement and status...which makes up for the low self esteem of being what he really is...
Also, 'Keeping the Secret...the secret being the corruption..and not letting any word of it get out.

What we are seeing in the Political Realm is the Blagojevich Generation...from top to bottom...

Would sell their souls for a dollar and a media talking point....sad.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:11 AM

What I was up in arms about was the way they seemed to single out Huntington without mention of the data being from 3 years ago or that it was the MSA and that no one was mentioning that it no longer held that title. It's more about being accuate and presenting the facts rather than witholding some things to make the overall picture seem worse. If you notice though, Mr. Oliver and GMA did a good job mentioning that this was a problem across America and that Huntington is to be a springboard so to speak for change in the area of healthier eating for the rest of the nation. I also said before that good things would come out of this, especially if the Huntington MSA could become more healthy due to the results of such a show.

I still wish they would show more recent obesity figures as that year was much higher than anything previously or since but I guess they are going for the shock factor. Thanks to the local leaders that also spoke with Mr. Oliver about these things as well (as they were up in arms too), I think the show will be more positive than it would have been otherwise. The first show especially won't be so flattering but in more recent articles, even Mr. Oliver admitted that he now gets what the local leaders were saying and he seems to be much more sensitive to how Huntington is portrayed. We'll have to wait for the series to see if that continues.

"Oliver backed Seacrest’s comments by saying that he now understands why local officials are concerned how Huntington will be portrayed in the show. Oliver said he thinks some of the uneasiness rests with the fact that Huntington was chosen because it was labeled as the unhealthiest city in America last year in an Associated Press story that relied on data that was representative of a larger area.

“Singling Huntington out as the most unhealthy town in America is factually incorrect,” Oliver said.

“That’s what the health officials have been screaming since I got here and it took me three weeks of being here to learn that.

“But, ultimately, what one can’t argue is the whole Tri-State area has a health problem and the country as a whole has a health problem.”

PR experts: Show should be accurate - The Herald Dispatch

Seacrest: Show can spur change - The Herald Dispatch

Old 11-18-2009, 01:04 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,073,815 times
Sounds like some good may come out of all of this. I'm even trying to make healthier eatind decisions. I look like a perfectly healthy, fit person. But i know that i don't eat completely healthy all the time. I'm sure each one of us can say that to an extent.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:58 PM

There's going to be a festival on 3rd Ave this weekend and a free concert by Rascal Flatts as well. Here's the details:

HUNTINGTON -- Celebrity chef Jamie Oliver is planning a huge party in the River City -- and he's inviting some country music superstars for the ride.
Oliver, who has been filming a reality series on healthy eating in Huntington will host "Huntington's Food Festival," a street fair this Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Pullman Square.

According to a news release, the event will feature more than 30 West Virginia food vendors and will feature a free half-hour acoustic concert by the country music group Rascal Flatts at 2:30 p.m. at the Keith Albee Performing Arts Center.

The event is open to the public. Admission is free, but vendors will be selling their foods at the fair. Food vendors who are interested in participating in the fair can call Jamie's Kitchen at (304) 522-0887.

The Rascal Flatts concert will be free, but guests will need tickets for the event. On Thursday at noon, 500 tickets will be distributed at the Keith Albee. Additional tickets will be given away at the event on Saturday.

In addition to the fair, film crews will be documenting the event for their reality show, which is scheduled to air on ABC in 2010.

Jamie Oliver to Host Huntington Food Festival Featuring Rascal Flatts - WOWK-TV - WOWKTV.com (http://www.wowktv.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=70575 - broken link)

Old 11-22-2009, 07:10 AM

I attended the food festival yesterday and some great things came as a result of Mr. Oliver's time here. Cabell Huntington Hospital donated $130,000 in order to expand some of the programs Mr. Oliver started and to keep others going for the long-term. They donated $80,000 to Cabell County Schools so that all of the schools in the county can be trained to prepare school lunches from scratch using local food rather than pre-packaged and frozen foods currently used. Cabell County will be the only county in the state to do this intially but hopefully it will spread to other counties as well. The importance of this was stressed as Mr. Oliver stated that the current generation of youth is the FIRST generation in a very long time expected to have a shorter life-span than the previous generation. Much of this was due to the effects of obesity from all of the processed and fast food that we eat on a daily basis.

Then, Cabell Huntington donted $50,000 to keep Huntington's Kitchen open. This is a place where people can come to receive FREE cooking lessons and tips on where to buy fresh, local produce.

Good stuff for sure.

Cabell Huntington Hospital donates $130,000 - The Herald Dispatch

Event wraps up Oliver filming - The Herald Dispatch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
View detailed profiles of: