Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 07:23 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,073,096 times

Advertisements

That's a really good idea Chriscross. One problem though. There are tons of vacant office complexes already in the 1 block radius from Pullman Plaza. My company has a small remote office in one of the towers there, and that building is about 75% empty! And it's a really nice building too. So sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 10:59 AM

4,958 posts, read 8,952,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
One problem though. There are tons of vacant office complexes already in the 1 block radius from Pullman Plaza. My company has a small remote office in one of the towers there, and that building is about 75% empty! And it's a really nice building too. So sad.
This is something that the city of Huntington is actually trying to fix. They passed an ordinance to fine people who let their property sit vacant but state law wouldn't allow them to actually fine anyone unless the property was uninhabitable. A new state law was recently passed though which will allow them to actually fine vacant property owners and this will likely help.

The most prominent example of this is the old Stone and Thomas building. The building has had about 3 developers come to the owner cash in hand to buy the building and develop it but he wouldn't sell it. So the largest and most prominent building across from Pullman Square has sat empty. Now that this legisaltion has passed though, they are actually doing something in the building but I haven't heard what yet. With the success that other property owners are having turning the upper parts of buildings into condos and office space, I look for this trend to continue.

Proposals target dilapidated buildings - The Herald Dispatch

Old 01-27-2010, 03:50 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
I have seen something similar in Wheeling. I wonder how
a public entity could "fine" someone if a building is empty?
I can see requiring repairs, or habitable condition, but to
require it to have occupants? I really doubt that would
pass constitutional muster.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:36 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,150,707 times
There is an out of state gentleman interested in Kinetic Park for both business and for building a new ballpark for Marshall University baseball and for a possible minor league team. Last I heard he was attempting to speak to the city leaders. Im not sure if that meeting ever took place.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
There is an out of state gentleman interested in Kinetic Park for both business and for building a new ballpark for Marshall University baseball and for a possible minor league team. Last I heard he was attempting to speak to the city leaders. Im not sure if that meeting ever took place.
I have heard the same thing as well. I'm not sure where the talks are or if they are even still going. I know that the ballfield was potentially restricted by the terms of the intial funding for Kinetic Park and those who run it were in the process of finding out if a ballpark would be allowed or not. In a first of the year interview, Mayor Wolfe mentioned that there would be several exciting developments coming up for Marshall this year but that he would wait and let MU announce those developments, maybe this is one of those.

The Huntington paper had several articles in today's paper about some of the other things we've been discussing here as well.

They had an article that mentioned that the Stone and Thomas building is now owned by Dr. Touma (FINALLY!) as he had purchased it from the gentleman who let the building sit empty. He is currently renovating it and getting it ready for use. Marshall is actually looking to move their visual arts program downtown to give them more space to act as an art incubator downtown and to give the student's art more visibility. The Stone & Thomas building is one possibility for this but Dr. Touma notes that he isn't locked in on this and if a department store or other retail expresses interest, he may go with that. MU and the city are looking for $8 million to move the visual arts department. They are also looking for buildings that are empty in the upper parts for housing for students and faculty.

University, city considering a downtown "arts incubator" - The Herald Dispatch

Here's an article about the vacant property bill as it is moving through the legislature. It discusses how the bill is supposed to work and some of the details of it.

Vacant property bill clears hurdle - The Herald Dispatch

And lastly, here's an editorial about the riverfront and some of the things being considered there.

Editorial: Pedestrian bridge could help riverfront park - The Herald Dispatch

Old 10-22-2010, 03:54 PM

Update on the Huntington Civic Arena Improvements:

Stadium project, arena work get boost - The Herald Dispatch

The city of Huntington, which owns Big Sandy Superstore Arena, also has been authorized to issue up to $5.1 million in Recovery Zone Economic Development Bonds for arena improvements, said Deron Runyon, city finance director. The taxable rate bonds have a higher interest rate, but federal funds could cover up to 4.5 percent of the costs, he said.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:43 AM

45 posts, read 75,308 times
I will make a short reply in the fact money should be found to change the outer appearence of the Arena. Between the Arena and Library I don't know which is the biggest dissapointment architecturally. You can't beat the beauty of glass in buildings. The Arena needs to be painted a neutral color and glass panels placed around the structure's front to bring elegance to its appearence. I will not say what I think of it now.

The Library.....looks like a house with an overgrown roof. The only reason had to be cost. It looks awful in the downtown. The Roof sides should be cut up and standard walls with insulated windows installed it just look bad when approached perpendicular to 5th ave. All you see is shingles

I am glad that some inside changes can be done on the arena though.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:50 PM

They are changing some exterior aspects of the arena but I'm not sure if the facade is part of those upgrades. It would definately look better for downtown Huntington though to modernize the outside of the Arena.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:05 AM

Here's an update on the upgrades from a Huntington City Council Meeting:

Arena work moves step closer - The Herald Dispatch

Old 12-13-2010, 09:57 PM

Another update about arena remodeling and hockey returning to Huntington:

Huntington Continues to Talk Hockey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington