Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 09:19 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,204,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denofhc View Post
Thanks for the good advice. I have really watched my diet (lost 9 lbs through the holidays!). I bought a glucose monitor but usually the reading is over 100 (my goal is under but that seldom happens). I exercise every day (but I did that before the diabetes scare). Sometimes, honestly, it does seem like the end. Many relatives on my dad's side died horrible deaths mostly due to diabetes.

Are there grocery stores that have good diabetic foods? Restaurants that offer healthy alternatives?

As I have become aware of the foods we (typically) eat, I am amazed at how unhealthy most of them seem to be. I really want to eat healthy, exercise, and live a long and vigorous life.

I really appreciate the comments of those who have faced this issue and are living normal lives. Thanks so much!
If your blood sugar readings are over 100, but below 110, that's considered within the normal range, which is 90-110. Again, be sure to ask your doc what your A1C reading is as it is what your blood sugar average for the previous 3 months was...a much more important and reliable figure than any one blood sugar reading. If he hasn't tested for that, insist he does.

As far as healthy groceries, most now have sections aimed at diabetic items, but most of it revolves around sugar-free deserts. You really can find healthy items at most any grocery.

Restaurants are harder. Google restaurant diabetic menus and you'll should be able to find what different restaurants offer that can work for you...there are some fast food items that aren't deathly, but they are few. Most sit-down places have items that can work.

You've got some learning ahead of you, but always console yourself with this thought...if Skinem can do it, anyone can!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 05:13 PM

396 posts, read 666,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
If your blood sugar readings are over 100, but below 110, that's considered within the normal range, which is 90-110. Again, be sure to ask your doc what your A1C reading is as it is what your blood sugar average for the previous 3 months was...a much more important and reliable figure than any one blood sugar reading. If he hasn't tested for that, insist he does.
Thanks skinem--very helpful info. I've been checking daily and the range is 100-118 (14 day average of 109). My doc has order an A1C for the next visit (next summer).

Old 12-31-2010, 10:03 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,262,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denofhc View Post
Thanks for the good advice. I have really watched my diet (lost 9 lbs through the holidays!). I bought a glucose monitor but usually the reading is over 100 (my goal is under but that seldom happens). I exercise every day (but I did that before the diabetes scare). Sometimes, honestly, it does seem like the end. Many relatives on my dad's side died horrible deaths mostly due to diabetes.

Are there grocery stores that have good diabetic foods? Restaurants that offer healthy alternatives?

As I have become aware of the foods we (typically) eat, I am amazed at how unhealthy most of them seem to be. I really want to eat healthy, exercise, and live a long and vigorous life.

I really appreciate the comments of those who have faced this issue and are living normal lives. Thanks so much!
Congrats to you on the weight loss especially during the holidays! As far as restaurants, you can probably ask them to limit certain ingredients which will help a lot. Best of wishes to you!

Old 12-31-2010, 10:15 PM

419 posts, read 908,356 times
If we are referring to Type2 it is controllable for most diabetics. It is not entirely preventable.

There is a diabetes gene in some people, that is dormant and may be triggered earlier by obesity and other issues. BUT, expert doctors with large patient populations who specialize in this disease/condition for years pretty much acknowledge that if you have the gene and live long enough you will eventually become diabetic. The key then is holding it off as long as possible. I was able to keep it dormant til 56 years old.

The idea that is is just lifestyle and specifically being overweight is simply untrue: Why? because 20% of newly diagnosed type2's are normal weight or even thin! If it were weight/lifestyle issue alone, then ALL OBESE PEOPLE WOULD BE DIABETIC. ...and they are clearly not.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:20 AM

914 posts, read 1,988,189 times
A fasting blood sugar of over 100 is not normal. It should always be less than 100. If your fasting blood sugar is 100-119 then you are labelled as being "insulin resistant" (old term was pre-diabetes). If your fasting blood sugar is 120 or greater then you are diagnosed as diabetic.

There are two types of diabetes. Type I (aka juvenile onset diabetes) is not preventable at all. It's is a combined genetic, autoimmune, and/or infectious cause. The common pathway is destruction of the cells in your pancreas that make insulin. Type I diabetics are typically thin and young. They typically do not take any oral medicines and will always be on insulin.

Type II diabetes (adult onset) is the most common form. It is STRONGLY associated with obesity. We know that the more fat your body has the more resistant your body is to the insulin it makes. Insulin production is not the issue in Type II diabetes. Insulin resistance is the primary issue. While you will occasionally see normal weight (BMI < 25) with Type II diabetes, this is rare. There is a genetic component as not all overweight people develop diabetes, and there will be some normal weight people who develop diabetes. For the majority weight loss will either greatly improve blood sugar levels or resolve diabetes entirely.

Once diagnosed it is imperative that appropriate steps be take to control blood sugar. Brief list of complications: Coronary artery disease and heart attacks, kidney disease and failure, blindness, strokes, increased risk of serious infections, peripheral neuropathy (dysfunction of the nerves leading to numbness), and peripheral vascular disease leading to nonhealing ulcers and amputations.

Old 01-01-2011, 06:21 PM

396 posts, read 666,509 times
I had no idea this forum could be so helpful. I've learned a lot!

Any hints on getting below 100 glucose level? (I had 99 this morning--that was rare).

I am not overweight. I am pretty disciplined about eating and exercising. I am extremely concerned about diabetes.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:51 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,243,626 times
You might want to check out the Diabetes subforum here //www.city-data.com/forum/diabetes/. I am sure you will find a lot of helpful folks there too.

This forum is mainly about H'ville and the surrounding area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
View detailed profiles of: