Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think HOAs and Home Rule are Good for a Community Regardless if in the City or County
Yes 17 48.57%
No 18 51.43%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 08:18 AM

79 posts, read 186,286 times

Advertisements

We have lived in Southern Breeze for two years now. We thought the community was going to be nice and well kept. The developer has not completed the entry nearly three years after he started the project. There are no drainage systems, the drainage areas are ditches that are not steep or deep enough often leaving standing water and a breeding ground for mosquitoes.

There are several foreclosed homes of which are not maintained and numerous stressed properties. There are no city ordinances, this is Limestone County, so people park on their lawns of which surprised us being most of these homes are in the upper 200s and several others in the 300s. You can not put lawn clippings in the trash, you have to take them to the dump. There are no plans for Madison to annex the area. Speeding is rampant in the development and there is no law enforcement other than the Limestone County Sherriff of which is friendly but are simply not equipped to set speed traps.

Builders have folded then re-opened under new names. Moderator cut: comment We have not heard anything bad about Southern Concepts Homes.

Southern Breeze is a mix of Professionals and Upper Blue Collar workers with the majority being Blue Collar or Support Staff type workers. The development started out to be a lower middle income home area and then expanded into upper middle income homes. There is clearly a noticeable difference in how homes are maintained, there is no association. Home values have dropped by 10% in the area due to the economy but upkeep of the neighborhood itself also played a role in the devaluation. Again, people will park their vehicles on the lawn, boats will be parked in the street, several people do not pick up after themselves, many simply toss trash in the drive and let it blow into other lawns.

The school system is substandard compared to Madison and Huntsville. Private school is an option to avoid the dilapidated state of the Athens and Limestone County School System. There are no plans for new schools, roads and modern shopping developments.

We bought here because we got more home and land for the money but we did not have a clear understanding of what county life is. Will we move, most likely once the market turns around. If you like County Living then this area is for you, if you want ordinances, protection, infrastructure and more, than this area is not for you. Limestone County, specifically East Limestone is growing fast but the Leadership is interested in the dollars only and have not given any thought on how to bring the County more in line with an Urban ambiance. You will find East Limestone is like an Egg that has been dropped. A $400 home will be across from gas station, Southern Charms a development by Malone is across from and industrial complex. Development licenses and zoning are granted haphazardly in Limestone County so be cautious. There are some beautiful places but buyer beware.

Last edited by Keeper; 07-28-2009 at 08:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 09:04 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Shoot, I coulda told you that. I'm saving up to be able to put a junker out by the road, just to warn folks like you that it IS country and not an extension of the nanny state.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:16 AM

LoL I appreciate the humor, It is not a bad thing, it is something we were just not used to. This said, there is a common courtesy that all in a community should consider. I think when the developer mixed the houseing set, that is what took away from the development. Phase One started with homes in the upper $100s then the developer decided to add $300 level homes but instead of keeping that level, he downgraded Phase Two to the mid $200 and back to the upper $100s. A few more $300 level homes would have allowed for a balance. There is a development behind SB that has homes in the $400s of which fortunatly for us, is keeping our values from dropping below the 10% I mentioned earlier.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:50 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,966,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Shoot, I coulda told you that. I'm saving up to be able to put a junker out by the road, just to warn folks like you that it IS country and not an extension of the nanny state.
LOL... I got an old refrigerator if you want to display it on your front porch !!

Old 06-09-2009, 11:11 AM

That is close to what I have seen We had a resident place a toilet in his yard thinking the trash folks would take it, nope! In the county you take that stuff to the dump. Keep in mind we are not in the Country, we are a subdivision so my gripe is not with those who have several Acers of land and big yards to do as they wish. If you paid over $300K for a home and want it to keep its value then you would expect your neighbors to at least keep clean, not saying have the best yard or best fence yadayada but in a subdivision doing as you both describe is not right. All and all I do see the humor in your posts though and even in my position, heck it is my fault for buying there in the first place. This said, at least others who will move here from a city environment will know not to move to the county.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:20 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
CFOTOCEO, it is a rare person that can take humor as well as you do. I suspect you'll do fine. One thing to consider; you talk about homes maintaining their value. Most folks around here know that when you live outside city limits, that just about anything is possible. Your home shouldn't lose value, and as Huntsville grows it stand a chance of nicely increasing in value.

What you might not be factoring in to some of your thinking is that you get to pay a very low tax rate, whereas people within the cities might see their homes increase in value, but have that extra money siphoned off by taxes and HOA fees prior to resale. Bottom line is you will likely end up ahead of the game.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:27 AM

Great points and we did consider the tax issue. In fact, we paid $315K two years ago on . 5 Acres. Home was apprised nearly a year later at $390K for we added some things. It is now appraised at $365K due to the slow market turn in real-estate. However, those homes in distress in SB have hurt the new builds home value, we watched $300K homes plummet to $265 or so. All and all we do like our home, we are adapting to County life. My main point is for people who do not know what to expect as we did, that more research should be done. I got caught up in the fact I got my home for nearly $40K less than I would have in Madison and on more land. What I failed to consider was the County aspect and please readers do not think I am bashing County folks, not at all. I am simply sharing what many should consider.

Another fact about County builds is the codes are not as strict as Madison and Huntsville, so there have been many fly by night builders in Limestone entire and that is unfortunate. Our builder has great designs etc but he is local and had no support staff to follow up on defects... HC has great points and I do enjoy the humorous banter, of which is good for the soul

Old 06-09-2009, 12:06 PM

567 posts, read 1,744,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFOTOCEO View Post
That is close to what I have seen We had a resident place a toilet in his yard thinking the trash folks would take it, nope! In the county you take that stuff to the dump. Keep in mind we are not in the Country, we are a subdivision so my gripe is not with those who have several Acers of land and big yards to do as they wish. If you paid over $300K for a home and want it to keep its value then you would expect your neighbors to at least keep clean, not saying have the best yard or best fence yadayada but in a subdivision doing as you both describe is not right. All and all I do see the humor in your posts though and even in my position, heck it is my fault for buying there in the first place. This said, at least others who will move here from a city environment will know not to move to the county.
I think a toilet turned into a bird bath or flower pot is cool.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:14 PM

567 posts, read 1,744,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
CFOTOCEO, it is a rare person that can take humor as well as you do.
I do know what you mean about how people do not respect others. I bought 9 acres and I left the old fence row grown up with trees and shrubs so I did not have to look at everyone else. Heck, I have a modest new 1800 sq ft home, which use to be considered large in the 70's and early 80's for around $200,000.00 in the whole package and would not trade it for the world. It is a lot of grass to cut though. It takes a big expensive mower and 2 1/2 hours to cut it all.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:07 PM

You obviously do respect others a great deal. However, our lots on our only .5 acres and when people park on the main lawn or toss trash on the drive and do not even mow, then that is disrespectful. You reside outside of a subdivision so my perspective does not apply to you, your Red Barn was their first and it is your piece of dirt and I would not want to encroach on that. However, subdivisions do have covenants some with or without associations. What we have are people who bought the homes who can not afford them and they have pulled down the area or people who have moved from 9 acres places to .5 acres and think they still live on 9 etc.

I have neghbors who stated they moved from the city to live in the country, fact is they are urban in the county, they should have done as you have and bought a 9 acre place. Good points and they are appreciated. Again, my point is folks need to understand the county is not the city but a subdivision in the county is not the country either.

Last edited by CFOTOCEO; 06-09-2009 at 02:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area