Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 04:21 PM

17 posts, read 22,316 times

Advertisements

Huntsville Area

Hi there....My husband and I are looking into the possibility of moving to the Huntsville area. We are a family of 4 and love the outdoors. Other than the hot summers, we think the area will be a good fit for us. We are a military family, retiring after 20 years of service. My children are in middle school and are very involved in sports. My husband is an avid hunter and enjoys fishing as well.

I am doing research of possible towns for us if we secure a job in the area. Can you share your thoughts about towns worth looking into with good schools, safe neighborhoods, friendly and active communities? I am also looking into border towns in TN that could be an options, any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 08:38 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,971,937 times
Welcome!

I assume the quality of schools is a major factor in selecting neighborhood for your children? Do you want land? City vs rural? Lots of choices here.

Let us know what are your decision factors so we can better help you.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:04 PM

Yes, schools are important. My children are currently in middle school, so high school is right around the corner. I hope to find a school that has a balance of academics, sports and expectations.

As for the type of neighborhood, I would like something in between. I don't want to be in the country nor in the city. Right outside the city would be perfect, not too close, but not far. We do want some land and hope that will be possible in the area. We would like to find something under $200k in a good neighborhood.

Thanks for the willingness to offer suggestions!

Old 10-12-2014, 05:28 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,210,483 times
Arab HS is listed as #2 or 3 in the state. 80-90% of all HS kids get a scholarships to college. The school now has ROTC new this year. Sports and theater are really promoted at the school. The band and the performing arts have won many awards going up against larger schools.

Ironically the city itself is only around 8K but the actual area is more like 25K that includes the police jurisdiction. If you check the crime in the area it is really misleading since the stats use the population of the city not the police jurisdiction. There is very little crime.

You are 25 minutes to Huntsville and 15 minutes to Lake Guntersville.

The downside is there is not a lot to do after dark for teenagers. No bowling, skating or movie theaters in town.

Houses are very reasonable and you can get a really nice house with land or yards depending on your desire. Check out Valleymls. You can find houses for Huntsville and the surrounding area

Old 10-12-2014, 06:16 PM

1,644 posts, read 3,037,939 times
Well, Hazel Green, where I am, has great schools. That's why we moved here.

That said, I'm not fond of driving. The rural lifestyle will not be mine again after my kid gets out of high school, which won't be for a while.

If you want the best of the best of the best, James Clemens High School area.

How much did it cost to build? 56 million?

Old 10-12-2014, 06:51 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,292,349 times
Hi, I live in the Riverton area and the schools here are good. Riverton Intermediate, Buckhorn Middle and High. Rural living but easy to get into the city with a short drive. Send me a pm if you want subdivision info. There are several nice ones in a variety of price ranges.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:42 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,131,116 times
I would have to chime in with Keeper. I no longer live there but I did live in Arab (pronounced AY-rab...it was a typo that stuck) for 15 or so yrs, raised my kids there and I couldn't think of a better place to have raised them other than Mayberry. I lived near town rather than in the country and had great neighbors who watched out for one another. I sat on front porches drinking tea with neighbors and sometimes even came home from work, had a neighbor stick her head out the door and she already had dinner cooked for all of us, just come on over. My girls were good students and both achieved good academic scholarships after Arab High. Everyone shows up for many of the school events...even people with no children. It's close enough to get to huntsville without much of a drive. It really is a great place for raising kids. There are lots of hunters and fishers there also.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:46 AM

39 posts, read 43,296 times
Based on your interests, here are my suggestions:

1. Big Cove area - this is the only area that arguably has the best of everything you are looking for all within 15 minutes: great schools, fishing, hunting, shopping, Redstone Arsenal, and country setting on the edge of town.
2. Arab - a close second with a longer drive and limited city stuff.
3. Guntersville or Scottsboro - similar to Arab with a little more city stuff but longer drive to the metropolis. Fishing heaven.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:40 AM

Thanks for all the insight! We are taking trip to the area in a few weekends and your suggestions will be a great starting point. I'm sure I'll have more questions after our visit. Thanks again!!!!

Old 10-14-2014, 05:49 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,210,483 times
Lake Guntersville is huge and the lake is famous for bass fishing. It is a beautiful area and there are lots of things to see and do. There are cabins and a lodge over looking Lake Guntersville and you can grab a bite to eat at their restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area