Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 05:19 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,268,242 times

Advertisements

Until Limestone County (and Athens too) get it together and start laying the law to these builders with their "we don't have a building code" attitudes (uh, YES YOU DO)....that is going to be an area that buyers are skeptical about and Realtors give pause to their clients. In my view, it is a liability, and I make every buyer aware that building inspection is absolutely non existent. Madison Cty, HSV, and Madison city is not perfect, but at least they are somewhat of a "watchdog" in at least having eyes on these builders. Some of the worst, most grievous building defects and violations are occuring and have occurred in Athens/Limestone. You have to be extremely careful with who you entrust to build your home.

And if you think that you're "all clear" inside Athens city...WRONG. Have a client whose home was partially destroyed by the tornado, in a pretty prestigious neighborhood. Upon investigation (they purchased as a "spec" and had as thorough a home inspection as they could have, and the builder had a respectable reputation) they have 8-10 foot sections of exterior wall that HAS NO BRICK TIES, then small portions of the exterior walls that have hundreds of them.

They now have hired an attorney to pursue the builder, who is still building, among others. They have already decided not to rebuild in Limestone or Athens, as none of us have the time or the will to sit at the site and watch to make sure the house is at least built to the minimal state code.

A currently active builder also wants to buy the "remainder" of their house, without any demolition....even though we have a structural engineer who has stated the house MUST come down to the slab. He has offered them a bit more than just lot/slab value because "he can work with what is there". Wow. The Athens building inspector will not issue a build permit if the brick does not come down due to the absence of brick ties...even tho Athens signed off on the inspection when the house was being constructed. Builder has said he can deal with the building department.

And let me add...I think its sad. I love Athens, it is such a great small town. Love the downtown area! But we have to stay on our toes there.

Last edited by LCTMadison; 04-20-2012 at 05:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 07:26 AM

1,645 posts, read 3,097,582 times
I don't know Seth, once VW announced Chattnooga, it was Chattanooga.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:28 AM

LCTMadison,

Thanks for posting this story.

Who can we call?

Old 04-20-2012, 10:22 AM

482 posts, read 991,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCEddie View Post
I don't know Seth, once VW announced Chattnooga, it was Chattanooga.
True, but the consensus and reports was Huntsville all the way up until the night before the official, public announcement.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
Until Limestone County (and Athens too) get it together and start laying the law to these builders with their "we don't have a building code" attitudes (uh, YES YOU DO)....that is going to be an area that buyers are skeptical about and Realtors give pause to their clients. In my view, it is a liability, and I make every buyer aware that building inspection is absolutely non existent. Madison Cty, HSV, and Madison city is not perfect, but at least they are somewhat of a "watchdog" in at least having eyes on these builders. Some of the worst, most grievous building defects and violations are occuring and have occurred in Athens/Limestone. You have to be extremely careful with who you entrust to build your home.

And if you think that you're "all clear" inside Athens city...WRONG. Have a client whose home was partially destroyed by the tornado, in a pretty prestigious neighborhood. Upon investigation (they purchased as a "spec" and had as thorough a home inspection as they could have, and the builder had a respectable reputation) they have 8-10 foot sections of exterior wall that HAS NO BRICK TIES, then small portions of the exterior walls that have hundreds of them.

They now have hired an attorney to pursue the builder, who is still building, among others. They have already decided not to rebuild in Limestone or Athens, as none of us have the time or the will to sit at the site and watch to make sure the house is at least built to the minimal state code.

A currently active builder also wants to buy the "remainder" of their house, without any demolition....even though we have a structural engineer who has stated the house MUST come down to the slab. He has offered them a bit more than just lot/slab value because "he can work with what is there". Wow. The Athens building inspector will not issue a build permit if the brick does not come down due to the absence of brick ties...even tho Athens signed off on the inspection when the house was being constructed. Builder has said he can deal with the building department.

And let me add...I think its sad. I love Athens, it is such a great small town. Love the downtown area! But we have to stay on our toes there.
I've seen more of this in East Limestone than should be humanly possible. It's truly sad. I think that some of it has to do with some "good 'ole boy" builders that build homes off of floor plans drawn on napkins and that type of thing. I think that there are only 3/4 builders in all of Limestone that I'd even consider letting build my home.

It tells you all you need to know about the leadership in the area when 3 other cities have more property annexed in the county than the "major" city within it.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Parker View Post
True, but the consensus and reports was Huntsville all the way up until the night before the official, public announcement.
Yep, but we've had the public announcement, so I'm pretty sure we are done. I'm curious what your other announcement is going to be?

Will the 565-65 extension happen without VW?

Old 04-20-2012, 01:22 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,268,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCEddie View Post
Yep, but we've had the public announcement, so I'm pretty sure we are done. I'm curious what your other announcement is going to be?

Will the 565-65 extension happen without VW?

565 is more about HSV dragging its heels than a VW plant....Madison is ready, Madison Cty is ready....all three have to contribute $$$ for it but the other two are waiting on HSV.

Why in the world wouldn't HSV want the County Line corridor to thrive with more business

Old 04-20-2012, 01:31 PM

Thanks. I know I want to see the County Line corridor and parts west thrive.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:48 PM

Well, HSV is definitely conceding defeat now. So shall I.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:06 PM

Oh well. We tried, now about that other good news....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area