Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 07:17 AM

166 posts, read 344,769 times

Advertisements

We lived in Madison when we first moved here because everyone told us it was THE place to live. We ended up in East Limestone and we love it! Either place was fine with me but we wanted to live in the country yet be close enough to Madison and Huntsville. I am happy with the schools, the people, everything. My daughter actually likes the smaller high school versus the large high school of Bob Jones. She has made a lot of wonderful friends. Why do people act like it is not part of the Huntsville area? My husband works at Redstone. It can be a bit of a trek but not too bad. It takes him about 40 minutes to leave our house and actually be at his desk at work. Athens has a wonderful downtown area with great restaurants and quaint little stores. The people are great. After the tornado hit, people really helped us and we had only lived here for a year and a half. People were here checking on us every day, bringing us food and water and toiletries, inviting us to their home for dinner and showers when we had no power for two weeks, they helped clear out all the trees that fell. They even did our laundry for us. I can't say enough good things about it. East Limestone has a great sense of community and family is important. I love raising my kids here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 07:42 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,127,100 times
There are many such places throughout Alabama but frequently, people that are moving here from elsewhere are looking for a bit more offerings in the place they are living, which usually comes down to Hsv, Madison or, if further south, Bham, Mobile, etc. I live in a great place with no neighbors, no one telling me how I can or cannot keep my lawn, no traffic, etc... but, it's not for everyone. Plus, it would probably take someone from that area to speak up in one of those threads about that area. Most of us would recommend places that we are somewhat familiar with.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:09 AM

483 posts, read 630,575 times
I would guess it is quality of the schools and the stability and even increasing of property values that draw people to Madison.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:37 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,539,736 times
Because we will be looking at property in No Alabama in the next year or so I got curious and looked up East Limestone. All I see are planned comminities. Am I looking in the correct spot?

Old 01-12-2012, 08:43 AM

2,454 posts, read 3,216,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wls2624 View Post
We lived in Madison when we first moved here because everyone told us it was THE place to live. We ended up in East Limestone and we love it! Either place was fine with me but we wanted to live in the country yet be close enough to Madison and Huntsville. I am happy with the schools, the people, everything. My daughter actually likes the smaller high school versus the large high school of Bob Jones. She has made a lot of wonderful friends. Why do people act like it is not part of the Huntsville area? My husband works at Redstone. It can be a bit of a trek but not too bad. It takes him about 40 minutes to leave our house and actually be at his desk at work. Athens has a wonderful downtown area with great restaurants and quaint little stores. The people are great. After the tornado hit, people really helped us and we had only lived here for a year and a half. People were here checking on us every day, bringing us food and water and toiletries, inviting us to their home for dinner and showers when we had no power for two weeks, they helped clear out all the trees that fell. They even did our laundry for us. I can't say enough good things about it. East Limestone has a great sense of community and family is important. I love raising my kids here.
Sshh... If too many people find out about this area, it won't be nice any more.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:36 AM

166 posts, read 344,769 times
True! I was a wondering if I should let that secret out!

Old 01-12-2012, 11:43 AM

482 posts, read 990,928 times
I think it's a combination of a few things. Number 1 would be how the Limestone County Schools stack up to Madison as far as ratings go. Second, it has a lot to do with the knowledge of the area...whether it's the buyer or the Realtor. Most buyers know they're moving to Huntsville...then progress out to Madison. Many never even really know about East.

Madison is a great place with great schools and great amenities. I can see some problems coming down the road eventually, though. Madison needs a lot of infrastructure improvements, facilities, etc. It's grown too fast too soon. Where are they going to get the money? All of the major retail "in Madison" other than the Walmart on Madison Blvd is actually annexed into Huntsville (Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart Coming on 72, etc). Madison can't grow any further West due to Huntsville annexing all around them. The only place to get the money they're going to need is through property taxes. I think you'll start to see significant increases in the coming years. Obviously, everyone else's will rise....but not at the rate Madison's will.

There's a lot going on in East, South of 72. It will definitely be the next hotbed of growth because of Huntsville's plans for the area. There's already a lot going on behind the scenes that's really close to coming to fruition. That can be good or bad depending on your stance.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:37 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wls2624 View Post
We ended up in East Limestone and we love it! .......... Why do people act like it is not part of the Huntsville area?
Oh let's see.. a few things may bother those who are city/ suburban dwellers... such as

1. Street with not lights
  2. Narrow 2-lane roads
  3. Bridge over swamps with no guard rails
  4. Chickens in neighbor's yards
  5. Options for dinning out are limited to fast food chain restaurants
  6. Your fashion attires come from Walmart
  7. Sound of gun shots from next door neighbors backyard target shooting
  8. Your children started to talk like hillbillies
  9. Bagel & Lox are considered "ethnic food"
  10. Fast & Loose building codes enforcement
  11. Your 9 yr old boy asked for an AK-47 instead of Xbox 360 for Christmas

Old 01-12-2012, 03:44 PM

282 posts, read 687,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Parker View Post
I think it's a combination of a few things. Number 1 would be how the Limestone County Schools stack up to Madison as far as ratings go. Second, it has a lot to do with the knowledge of the area...whether it's the buyer or the Realtor. Most buyers know they're moving to Huntsville...then progress out to Madison. Many never even really know about East.

Madison is a great place with great schools and great amenities. I can see some problems coming down the road eventually, though. Madison needs a lot of infrastructure improvements, facilities, etc. It's grown too fast too soon. Where are they going to get the money? All of the major retail "in Madison" other than the Walmart on Madison Blvd is actually annexed into Huntsville (Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart Coming on 72, etc). Madison can't grow any further West due to Huntsville annexing all around them. The only place to get the money they're going to need is through property taxes. I think you'll start to see significant increases in the coming years. Obviously, everyone else's will rise....but not at the rate Madison's will.

There's a lot going on in East, South of 72. It will definitely be the next hotbed of growth because of Huntsville's plans for the area. There's already a lot going on behind the scenes that's really close to coming to fruition. That can be good or bad depending on your stance.

Where exactly in East, South of 72? And what kind of plans?

Old 01-12-2012, 06:25 PM

482 posts, read 990,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro4ik View Post
[/b]

Where exactly in East, South of 72? And what kind of plans?
Lots of Huntsville expansion. Infrastructure and industry on its way. Without getting too specific, slightly North of Greenbrier, East of Mooresville Road. Some of what's in the works has been publicly stated as "possibilities", but not publicly confirmed. I would elaborate, but I've been sworn to secrecy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area