Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2012, 10:18 PM

296 posts, read 694,213 times

Advertisements

Today, perusing the Huntsville Times online, I find that I am on mandatory water restrictions. If my sprinklers came on tomorrow morning I could get fined $50. How did they notify us? Can they put in restrictions without telling customers directly and fine us? I don't watch local news and I only get the Sunday paper (which I read just for the ads) so I expect them to either use email, snail mail, or reverse 911 if they need to inform me of restrictions. Am I being unreasonable?

For the rest of you in the Water District, how did you find out?

Marc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 07:37 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,191,210 times
On the news.

First offense is a warning. They have people patrolling and if they see water they'll attempt to contact you and leave a letter if no one is home.

After the first offense and warning is when the fines start.

We are right at a foot below normal rainfall for the year. Some local towns are nearly out of water.

I'm surprised the restrictions didn't come earlier.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:38 AM

329 posts, read 512,190 times
I went to their website to find out.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:28 AM

296 posts, read 694,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingsoc75 View Post
I went to their website to find out.
Its not a website I check every week. Now, if they let you pay your bill for free on their website I would visit at least once a month.

I can't figure out why they chose Mon/Wed and Tue/Thu for the days we are allowed. Mon/Thu and Tue/Fri would mean I don't have to go five days in between watering of lawn and shrubs.

Marc

Old 07-06-2012, 07:25 AM

360 posts, read 1,533,318 times
Unhappy Totally agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc45002 View Post
Its not a website I check every week. Now, if they let you pay your bill for free on their website I would visit at least once a month.

I can't figure out why they chose Mon/Wed and Tue/Thu for the days we are allowed. Mon/Thu and Tue/Fri would mean I don't have to go five days in between watering of lawn and shrubs.

Marc
My husband heard about the restrictions on the radio Monday morning. I searched al.com and found nothing at all about it on Monday. Even my "breaking news" email from them had zilch. I finally found confirmation on the Harvest-Monrovia water district website, but I never would have looked there if he hadn't alerted me about the restrictions.

I think that if they had a more reasonable watering schedule as you suggested, compliance would be more assured. Some of us have just recently completed our post-tornado re-landscaping and have new plantings without deep roots yet.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:56 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,597,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc45002 View Post
Today, perusing the Huntsville Times online, I find that I am on mandatory water restrictions. If my sprinklers came on tomorrow morning I could get fined $50. How did they notify us? Can they put in restrictions without telling customers directly and fine us? I don't watch local news and I only get the Sunday paper (which I read just for the ads) so I expect them to either use email, snail mail, or reverse 911 if they need to inform me of restrictions. Am I being unreasonable?

For the rest of you in the Water District, how did you find out?

Marc
I found out from a friend of mine, because I do not watch much television. Interesting thing is half of his neighborhood was washing their cars when I went to visit him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area