Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 08:11 AM

561 posts, read 1,513,014 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I need some help from you Huntsville locals. I've heard about the closings of certain gates on Redstone Arsenal (due to our very stupid government members). I don't live in the immediate area and am not that familiar with Huntsville and RA. I travel to the commissary from east Alabama using east bound I-565 to Jordan, then I turn left and go about maybe a mile to Goss Road, (I think that's the name), then turn right towards the gate. The commissary is just ahead on the left hand side.

So, what is the number of this gate and does anyone know what the hours are? I don't need any unexpected tours of HSV or RA. Help, please and thank you so much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 08:15 AM

652 posts, read 1,304,875 times
That is Gate 8 and it's only open on the weekends. Now, you can either stay straight on Jordan/Patton and travel down to Gate 10. Then, you'd go right on Aerobee and right on Vincent and the commissary would be on your right. Or you can take Exit 14 off 565 and use Gate 9. You'd have to make the U-turn after going through the gate and turn right on Goss and then right on Vincent.

Next week is the last week of furloughs though so, hopefully, it won't matter soon.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy112 View Post
That is Gate 8 and it's only open on the weekends. Now, you can either stay straight on Jordan/Patton and travel down to Gate 10. Then, you'd go right on Aerobee and right on Vincent and the commissary would be on your right. Or you can take Exit 14 off 565 and use Gate 9. You'd have to make the U-turn after going through the gate and turn right on Goss and then right on Vincent.

Next week is the last week of furloughs though so, hopefully, it won't matter soon.
Thanks for the quick response! Good, I'll continue down Jordan and follow those directions.

I hope they get all this fixed before too long. Not everyone using the gates is that familiar with the gate numbers. If it's not too much trouble, could you message me when gate 8 is back to normal? I don't really keep my finger on the pulse of HSV and RA and that would be of huge help. Again, thanks so much!

Old 08-07-2013, 08:47 AM

458 posts, read 617,583 times
Next week is the last week of furloughs so everything should be back to normal starting on the 18th.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdtron View Post
Next week is the last week of furloughs so everything should be back to normal starting on the 18th.
Hopefully ... the gate guard staff has been leaving in droves since the furlough started which has compounded the problem. It might take a little while to get back up to full-strength.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:15 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,583,586 times
You may want to verify when the Commissary is open as well

Commissaries.com - Redstone Arsenal Commissary

Old 08-07-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
You may want to verify when the Commissary is open as well

Commissaries.com - Redstone Arsenal Commissary
Commissary is closed on Monday and Tuesday now. On the other days, it's still regular hours.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:40 AM

Followed your directions to Gate 10, Lindy112, and it was easy-peasy. Thanks again! Yep, saw where the commissary is closed on Tuesdays for now -- sheesh what some governmental bullcrap that is! It's no wonder gate guards are leaving, who wants a job where you can't depend on your salary -- but those idiots in DC make sure they get theirs!

Old 08-10-2013, 01:39 PM

944 posts, read 1,186,991 times
One would think since this IS an Army base, they would use military LE's if there is a shortage of civilian guards? I saw it at Ft. Belvoir, at Walter Reed & Quantico even before the furloughs started...or only keep the gates open during peek hours?

Old 08-10-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky2517 View Post
One would think since this IS an Army base, they would use military LE's if there is a shortage of civilian guards? I saw it at Ft. Belvoir, at Walter Reed & Quantico even before the furloughs started...or only keep the gates open during peek hours?
You're welcome, Ynot!

Becky, there aren't any MPs on Redstone any longer, only civilian security and police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area