Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 09:06 AM

3 posts, read 4,081 times

Advertisements

I just accepted a job in Huntsville and am relocating from Baton Rouge. I have 2 dogs and 2 cats and am looking to rent a home. My requirements are 1) pet friendly 2) safe neighborhood 3) fenced backyard. Any information would be helpful. I would also just love to hear what y'all love about Huntsville. I'm the type that loves farmers markets and live music, hiking and camping, eating food!!!! I've heard great things about the city so far, and I loved the week that I spent there. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 09:12 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,280,464 times
Well you are going to out grow that screen name awfully quick!

Well 5pts would be the best area for a Farmers Market, Live Music, Hiking and Food.

It's pricey to live there, but if it's just you and the pets you should be able to find a very cozy place to rent with a fence.

Best of Luck!

Old 07-27-2013, 09:24 AM

1,645 posts, read 3,097,582 times
Geaux Tigers!!!

Slowly but surely Louisiana is taking over Bama... inch by inch, step by step.

Live Music - can't say HSV has a lot of that, but Nashville is 90 minutes away - depending where you live (west is best), and B'ham is about the same.

Pets - if you rent a house you should be fine. I'm in the Athens area, so can't really help with the actual HSV area, but you should be good.

Welcome to Huntsville. Love purple. LIVE GOLD!

Old 07-27-2013, 09:47 AM

3 posts, read 4,081 times
I was looking at 5pts. It seems like my sort of vibe. How is traffic around Huntsville?

Old 07-27-2013, 10:38 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,443,387 times
How's traffic? Where are you going?

The Five Points area would be my first suggestion. The neighborhood has smaller, older houses convenient to downtown; some are rentals with fenced backyards. The area is fairly safe, however there are burglaries.

The year-round County Farmers Market is ~3 miles away (totally not worth a visit), however seasonal Greene Street Market downtown is nearby and Ayers Market is close. Downtown and Meridan Street bars feature live music, plus the arena brings in shows and the concert hall has concerts. The City hosts free concerts downtown every Monday during Summer.

Five Points is at the foot of Monte Sano Mountain about 10 minutes or so away from Monte Sano State Park - over 2,000 acres of mountain (to us) woodland with hiking / biking trails. Within a few hours drive, there are dozens of AL / TN / MS /GA parks offering camping (from primitive to RVs). BTW primitive means just that - no facilities at all. Within a six hour drive, you can experience beaches, swamps, woodlands, and mountains.

The Po Boy Factory restaurant is in the neighborhood (best Cajun in the area, aiyee!).

Old 07-27-2013, 10:45 AM

1,645 posts, read 3,097,582 times
Five Points is very nice.

Traffic - nothing compared to Baton Rouge or New Orleans.

The Po Boy Factory - My favorite!

Old 07-27-2013, 05:19 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,280,464 times
Where will you be working?

RSA or Research Park?

Commute to either from 5pts isn't that bad. IMO.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:34 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,427,001 times
Read the posts...many of your questions can be answered by a little reading.
Birmingham live music - lots there, it's know for its music scene. It's no Nashville, of course, but it sure beats Huntsville.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:48 AM

1,846 posts, read 4,743,012 times
Traffic isn't bad at all in HSV. I agree with the others that 5 points is a nice area.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:11 AM

252 posts, read 321,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville bound View Post
I was looking at 5pts. It seems like my sort of vibe. How is traffic around Huntsville?
I agree with others. 5 Points is perfect for you. Monte Sano and east HSV are great for nature lovers and you are minutes away. You are also close to the best variety of music and nightlife downtown on the square.

There really is no traffic to speak of. You do want to avoid Decatur/Madison west of HSV based on the info you provided. You do not want to drive in from the west in the morning and to the west in the afternoon. That scenario is the only semblance of a rush hour in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area