Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 12:57 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,083,992 times

Advertisements

I realize that Belk is the focus right now because of the imminent development of the BS store.
However I can't discern any interests in Dillard's at all. I have been in the store at PP once and thought it was a nice attractive store. I did no shopping or looking so I don't know about the merchandise.

I know that it is not on the level of Eastchase in Montgomery or Belaire in Mobile. Those store are very elegant and as nice as any Dillard's I am familiar with. I have shopped both of those stores many times and find them to be satisfying.

So, my question to all is , how do you feel about Dillard's at PP. Are you glad to have it, is it better to you than Belk. Would you have preferred Dillard's to open a new store at BS instead of Belk? Is its location a drawback. Why does it seem that it does not exist when people talk about dept. stores in Huntsville; it is like there are Belks and then there are the stores that you wish for, but it seems like no one counts Dillard's.

Just a curiosity to me. And, if people are not shopping it, this may be the reason they have not up graded it to the above mentioned stores.

What do you think?

raj of curiosity

PS: sorry for typo in thread title

Last edited by raj kapoor; 09-08-2013 at 01:00 PM.. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 03:31 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,284,305 times
I personally like Dillard's more than Belk. Many of their labels are the same and in my opinion the satore is easier to navigate. I don't think location is a problem as much as economy. I just don't think people are shopping as much currently.

It isn't the best department store in the city, but is certainly far from the worst.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:34 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,205,559 times
I like Dillard's more than Belk as well as I think their stores are usually a bit nicer than Belk, although the PP location isn't necessarily the nicest location, but it is certainly better than their old Madison Square location. Back when I used to have to wear a shirt and tie everyday, I used to love their Roundtree & Yorke Gold Label dress shirts. They wash and hold up very well and the sizes are spot-on.

You can also find some really, really good deals when Dillard's has their 40%+ additional discount on already clearance-priced items. My wife has purchased quite a few Brahmin, Coach and Kate Spade handbags for 50-70% off retail during those sales.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
I personally like Dillard's more than Belk. Many of their labels are the same and in my opinion the satore is easier to navigate. I don't think location is a problem as much as economy. I just don't think people are shopping as much currently.

It isn't the best department store in the city, but is certainly far from the worst.
What do you consider the best department store in town?

Thanks,
raj

Old 09-09-2013, 05:47 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,262,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
I like Dillard's more than Belk as well as I think their stores are usually a bit nicer than Belk, although the PP location isn't necessarily the nicest location, but it is certainly better than their old Madison Square location. Back when I used to have to wear a shirt and tie everyday, I used to love their Roundtree & Yorke Gold Label dress shirts. They wash and hold up very well and the sizes are spot-on.

You can also find some really, really good deals when Dillard's has their 40%+ additional discount on already clearance-priced items. My wife has purchased quite a few Brahmin, Coach and Kate Spade handbags for 50-70% off retail during those sales.

They just had a big sale a few weeks ago, and I was walking thru there one Sunday and they had the Michael Kors bag I have been wanting 30% off....so I snagged one of those up. Two days later, they put all them an additional 30% or 40% off (can't remember exactly but it was significant). I asked for a price adjustment and they would NOT do that, I was pretty shocked because the other places I shop will do a price adjustment within a certain period of time. So I told her I would just return it and buy it again, and the sales girl said she was putting it in the back until AFTER the sale was over, then they would put it back out for sale. WOW.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
They just had a big sale a few weeks ago, and I was walking thru there one Sunday and they had the Michael Kors bag I have been wanting 30% off....so I snagged one of those up. Two days later, they put all them an additional 30% or 40% off (can't remember exactly but it was significant). I asked for a price adjustment and they would NOT do that, I was pretty shocked because the other places I shop will do a price adjustment within a certain period of time. So I told her I would just return it and buy it again, and the sales girl said she was putting it in the back until AFTER the sale was over, then they would put it back out for sale. WOW.

Talk about bad service attitude.

I did a lot online last Dec. and by the time I got the merchandise I went back and checked the original order which will show any new prices. I saved about half of my total expenditure from a total of three places.
My understanding is that you have to ask, but I have found some online reduction is automatic. Macy's has a ten day limit to get a price reduction, but the lady on email/customerservice used another way to discount it and I actually got back more than the reduction.

I learned to watch prices after shopping which I bet a lot of people don't think about.

raj

Old 09-09-2013, 10:58 AM

1,977 posts, read 4,205,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
She must have been saving it for herself b/c in my experience Dillards will match the clearance price, but I guess it depends on the associate. Discover credit cards also have a nice perk where they will credit you back the difference if an item goes on sale within 90 days of purchase. I believe they allow up to $2500 worth of matching per year and $500 per item, which is nice to have.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:59 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
IMHO, as far as department stores go, Dillard's Parkway Place is the top of the line in Huntsville. Once Parisian was sucked up by Belk's, Dillard's did improve their stores a notch.
I hate that they pulled out of Decatur, leaving us with nasty Belk.

I hate Belk. I hate the jam-packed clothing carousels, the poor quality clothing (worse than Sears back in the day), the dirty stores, the lack of personnel who know nothing when you can finally find one. They have so few people working there that I think they wouldn't care if you shoplifted several bags of stuff and carried it out.
Yes, I've been in the Belk at Summit. No, it is NOT "better than other Belks."

With their crazy pricing structure, department stores are slitting their own throats. Wait a few days and you can get a bargain. ASk for or bring a coupon and you can save more. Wonderful, but it's no way to run a business.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
IMHO, as far as department stores go, Dillard's Parkway Place is the top of the line in Huntsville. Once Parisian was sucked up by Belk's, Dillard's did improve their stores a notch.
I hate that they pulled out of Decatur, leaving us with nasty Belk.

I hate Belk. I hate the jam-packed clothing carousels, the poor quality clothing (worse than Sears back in the day), the dirty stores, the lack of personnel who know nothing when you can finally find one. They have so few people working there that I think they wouldn't care if you shoplifted several bags of stuff and carried it out.
Yes, I've been in the Belk at Summit. No, it is NOT "better than other Belks."

With their crazy pricing structure, department stores are slitting their own throats. Wait a few days and you can get a bargain. ASk for or bring a coupon and you can save more. Wonderful, but it's no way to run a business.
I totally agree with your assessment of Dillard's in Huntsville. But if I gather correctly, you live in Decatur area. Which leads me to wonder again why people in Huntsville don't embrace Dillard's. It's hate Belk, and wish for something else and hardly a mention of Dillard's, which I do think is the nicest dept. store in the city. (but I do not know the merchandise well at PP, so that may be the issue.

I do think you are dead wrong about Belk Summit. (it seems you did not look at the merchandise or go into the right departments.) You can find cheap display areas in every store. Further, the fact this store is clean and sparkling and not tacky and devoid of pleasant décor almost makes it a winner. I say all this and I am not a Belk fan other than the store for homes at the Galleria. Great sales and merchandise in a large clean, comfortable and attractive environment. (what a shock when they opened that)

raj

Old 09-09-2013, 11:16 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,262,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
She must have been saving it for herself b/c in my experience Dillards will match the clearance price, but I guess it depends on the associate. Discover credit cards also have a nice perk where they will credit you back the difference if an item goes on sale within 90 days of purchase. I believe they allow up to $2500 worth of matching per year and $500 per item, which is nice to have.

Nope, she refused to do it and said Dillard's never does price adjustments....and it is on their receipt on the back I discovered, NO price adjustments. The only store I know that will not honor that.

And to clarify, she said they would put the bag in the back until their sale was over that following Sunday, THEN return it to the floor for purchase. I was floored to know that is how they operate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area